Skye hotel?

Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Skye hotel?

We will be staying on the Isle of Skye for two nights at the end of May. I am having a hard time choosing between the Flodigarry Hotel and the Cuillin Hills Hotel in Portree. The Cuillin Hills seems overpriced--is it really worth 230 pounds a night for a premier room? That is more than we will be paying to stay at Ballachulish House. But it looks nice and the central location is appealing. Flodigarry is less money but more remote and I wonder if it is so out of the way that we will spend a lot more time driving back and forth than we would like. On the other hand, remote can be nice too. Any opinions? This is our first trip to Skye and we will be driving from Ballachulish and leaving for Lewis after two nights. Thank you.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM

I have stayed at Cuillin Hills although not in a premier room. Howvere, I think 230 GBP.s is way to much. That's over $400 a night and while the location is lovely and convenient, it is not worth that much.

The Flodigarry has changed owners someime over the past couple of years and I think they were planning on getting it back to it's former 'fine' status. The location is beauiful!

There are several very nice places on Skye that are not nearly as picey as Cuillen Hills. Other than Cuillin, I've only stayed at Eilean Iarmain which I would highly reccommend, but it is on the Sleat Peninsula and thus not centrally located, but still it is easy to do Skye from here.We managed.

Good luck
Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:03 PM

We stayed at the Rosedale in Portree. It was nice, but not fancy and had a very nice restaurant. Our room faced the water and we enjoyed it a lot. According to the prices listed on this site it is much more affordable that the price you list for Cullin Hills; however, I don't know if the location is what you're wanting.

All the best!
Mar 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. After paying more than $300 a night in Provence last year we sort of got used to those high prices, but those were incredibly beautiful places. I know Scotland can be expensive but I wonder why Cuillin Hills would be charging so much compared to other hotels--it is only a little less than Three Chimneys which is supposed to be very, very nice.

I had originally considered Kinloch Lodge or Eilean Iarmain on the Sleat Peninsula but thought it was too far south and we would also spend a lot more time driving back and forth. Now I'll reconsider. Thanks again.
Mar 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM

We stayed at the Flodigarry Hotel in May of 2004....it was lovely.
Here is a photo of the view from our room......
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/image/30322815

You may want to take a peek at a few more images of the area.
www.pbase.com/baileyzim/irelanduk

Have a great trip!
Mar 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM

We stayed at Kinloch Lodge in 2001. It was a nice place to stay but not ideally located for sightseeing. Our room was spacious and the place was very quiet. We didn't realize until we got there that we were expected for dinner unless we told them otherwise.
Mar 25th, 2006, 01:05 AM

I love the Eilean Iarmain for location and style.

Perhaps a bit off the main drag,but for me, woth the hike.

I must say, I also like the Sligachan which is slap bang in the middle. But not as much.