Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Six Mo. til trip-Book Now or wait for deals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm pondering, if I wait til June, will airfare rates drop? Or shall I suck it up and book now. This trip is too important to bet on a "last minute" deal. I'd like to fly Omaha, Nebraska to Rome Sept 1, return Sept 15. Currently I can't find anything for less than ~$1k. I'm only flexible +/- 2 days on each end. Any thoughts?

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:33 AM

I checked your dates using ITAsoftware and Onetravel.com and came up with the same fares, basically, that you did.

I will top this for you. You'll probably get a lot of answers but I, personally, don't know of anyone who can accurately predict when there will be an airfare sale or when prices will drop for certain. We hear all kinds of dates on here and all kinds of "formulas" about dates, etc. I'll let you decide if these people know something the rest of us don't.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM

I don't know if rates will drop or rise.

You may be able to save a little bit by flying to London Gatwick on Delta and then using EasyJet to Rome from Gatwick. But I'd suggest travel insurance that covers this sort of itinerary (I have this for my next trip), and an overnight at Gatwick on the return.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I suspect fares may not drop, or not much, because that is a typical high season fare this year even from closer points. I think that is not really very bad considering what I've been seeing just RT Paris from the US East Coast (around $925, although most airlines are $1200).

However, I have never booked an air fare that far ahead of time, and I'm not the kind who waits forever. I don't think there's much risk in waiting a bit to see. I usually book 3-4 months ahead.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I had exactly the same qualms as you for our upcoming trip to France in September 05. About a month ago, I bit the bullet and booked our airfares for $750 round trip. That price is looking pretty good right now, especially since we have to fly from the West coast. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer! If I were you, I would wait a bit now, though, since they probably won't go up much past $1,000, at least I would hope not.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM

My husband and I flew to Rome from Indianapolis two years ago, about the same dates as you are planning. I started checking airfares every day from January on, and by May I found an airfare I thought was reasonable. I booked it straight away! (I think it was under $800; can't remember exact figure.)
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
ira

Hi dom,

You are flying before Labor Day. If you go on Sept 8, your fare drops from about $950 to about $725.

If your dates are inflexible, I think that you have about a 50% chance of saving $75 and a 50% chance of losing $100 over the next 3 mos.

Currently, the fare for my upcoming trip in Sept has been rising.

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I agree with everyone else. On first glance it seems high, but given the time of year you are going It's probably about right. My husband and I were looking for flights from St. Louis to Paris for this September and nothing was lower than about $750. We decided to go in November instead and found a fare for $350 on Travelocity. Since we booked (about 2 weeks ago) the price has gone up to about $650 and has stayed there since.

If you wait you could get a lower price but it could also go up. It's your call.