Single or double

Search

Single or double

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single or double

For oor honeymoon which rooms are suitable for us single or double or suite? I dont want a single bed and I am not sure if a double means two single beds or a queen size or full size.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 02:21 PM

A single is a room for one person (NOT a good idea for your honeymoon). A twin is a room for two people with two single bed (also not a good option for your honeymoon). A double is a room with one larger bed for two people. That is the kind of room you want

A suite is a usually a larger set of rooms - at least two with a bedroom and a sitting room. They are more expensive but give you a lot more room and are usually the best rooms in the hotel. Might be worth the extra for a honeymoon splurge.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
A double normally implies for two people.

Ask for a double room (for 2) with a queen or king size bed.

Just make sure you're as clear as possible.

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 02:34 PM

Well, I've gotten a lot of doubles in Europe, and it was two single beds but together. Hope you don't mind just a tiny gap in the middle.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Is that wher "mind the gap" came from??
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 02:53 PM

Only on a honeymoon.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Just another suggestion - REALLY make sure you find out about the beds. The two beds in a room deal also means in many cases that they are bolted to the wall or have a nightstand bolted to the wall/floor so you can't even push the beds together. Again, surely not the way you want to spend your honeymoon.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 07:50 PM

A double room is always a room that can accommodate two people. You will have to be specific about what kind of bed you want because some hotels will give you twin beds if you reserve a double room. In fact, some hotels only have twin beds, unfortunately (in my experience, more likely in Germany/Austria and Spain than France, but that could be peculiar to the hotels I wanted to book). Many hotels will try to pass twin beds put together as a double (which is usually queen size). Some people don't mind those, but I don't prefer them. A single room never is for two people.

Many hotels will call a queen or kingsize bed some term other than double because they want to use that as a selling point. It will probably be easy to get across the idea as to whether you will accept two twins pushed together versus a true double bed, but in my experience, it is best to ask exact size measurements if you care about size larger than a standard full/double bed (which is about 140 cm, queen about 160 cm, king 180 cm).