Reload this Page >

Silly place names

Search

Silly place names

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 04:05 AM
Adam

Silly place names

I'm feeling rather flippant this dull, grey afternoon so - what are the silliest place names Fodorites have encountered? <BR> <BR>In Belgium there are towns called Silly and Erps Kwerps!

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 04:13 AM
Falcon

Well i have received postcards from folks from all the following places: <BR> <BR>Arsoli (Lazio, Italy) <BR>Muff (Northern Ireland) <BR>Twatt (Shetland, UK <BR>Dildo (Newfoundland, Canada) <BR>Brown Willy (Cornwall, UK) <BR>Shag Island (Indian Ocean) <BR>Hold With Hope (Greenland) <BR>Tittybong (Australia) <BR>Lord Berkeley's Knob (Sutherland, Scotland)

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 04:59 AM
ha

Hell (Norway)

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 05:04 AM
elvira

The infamous: <BR>Blueballs (Pennsylvania) <BR>Condom (France)

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 05:58 AM
Bob Brown

How about the Diet of Worms? <BR>In Germany, just north of Mannheim, is the city of Worms. It was there in April of 1521 that Martin Luther was summoned to appear before Emperor Charles V at the Diet of Worms to answer for his contrarian religious beliefs. <BR>Well, many American college students don't know the other meaning of diet, e.g. a formal assembly of state or religious groups. <BR>You can guess the reaction of college freshmen when they read or hear about the Diet of Worms. By then they have had a few meals at the college refectory under their belts, so they start to wonder.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Rex

Bitche, France <BR> <BR>and in Indiana: <BR> <BR>Gnawbone, French Lick and my original hometown: Floyds Knobs.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Snow

Good ones Falcon <BR> <BR>How about: <BR>1) Embarass, Wisconsin <BR>2) Rick Steve's back door

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 08:00 AM
lola

Intercourse, PA <BR>Flushing, NY <BR>Truth or Consequences, New Mexico

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 08:53 AM
jenny

How about Big Bone Lick State Park in Kentucky? and yes, I bought a t-shirt.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Beth

In Wales, on the isle of Anglesley: <BR>Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantys iliogogogoch <BR> <BR>and no, I didn't just type those letters randomly, its a real place. The name means something like the Place with the little white church down by the river. We actually went there and took a photo of the local car dealer's who had the entire name on his sign.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 09:14 AM
angel

NW Minnesota gives us both "Fertile" and "Climax." There's an urban legend of a small-town newspaper headline: "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax." <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 09:26 AM
dan woodlief

You beat me, Angel. There is also a Climax, North Carolina. I have always liked Fish Kill too (can't remember whether it is in NY or PA, I think NY) - has a nice environmentalist ring to it.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 10:19 AM
ilisa

Fishkill is in New York. And speaking of New York, how about the Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island?

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 11:33 AM
John

Lists of English place names are good hunting for this. I’ve always liked Dorking (didn’t know that was a verb, To Dork, but I know people who are good at it.) Also Studley Roger (he is?) in Yorkshire, not far from Studley Royal (aren’t they all?). Also in Yorkshire is Swine. (“I come from Swine.”) <BR>Here in Warshington my faves are not too far from each other on the Olympic Peninsula. Sappho and Humptulips. <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Tom

A few that come to mind in the States: <BR> <BR>Cheesequake Park, NJ <BR>Stinking Creek, TN <BR>Tacky Town, KY <BR>and the infamous Luvvv Canal, NY

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 02:08 PM
elvira

From my neck of the woods: <BR> <BR>Belchertown, Feeding Hills, and Indian Orchard...all in Massachusetts <BR> <BR>Feura Bush and Slingerlands...two more gems from the Empire State

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 02:44 PM
RosemaryM

From the embarrassment of riches provided by England, two of my favourites are: Piddletrenthide in Dorset and Nether Wallop in Hampshire. But then, I come from a country with place names like Woolloomooloo.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 03:49 PM
elvira

Rosemary, is the accent on the "oo" or the "oo"? Or maybe the "oo"? That has GOT to be a fun name to say outloud...

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 03:55 PM
lindi

How about Rottenegg, Switzerland (my Swiss friend has a nice summerhouse there) and Fucking, Australia (sorry, but it IS the name of the town!) Also there's a town in Hungary called Bugyi, meaning panties. You know: "I was born in Panties"! Or a city called Hodmezovasarhely which means: "Beaverfieldmarketplace". There's also a place called A in Norway.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 03:58 PM
lindi

or better yet: "I live in 'Panties'"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -