Search

Siena September

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siena September

I have booked Torre Palazzone in Sovicille, Siena for my wife's 50th in September. 11 couples are sharing the entire villa. One couple has stayed there before and know the basics. Any Fodorite inside scoop for the area, a group this large, or little known favorites. Planned on asking the villa for help on day trips, etc. Appreciate any info you have to offer. Thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:51 AM

Lucky you and lucky wife! I love Siena. There will be much to do in the city itself. Try lunch or dinner at Osteria Logge. You simply must have a steak! I have heard repeated good things about gato et nero in Siena as well. You will be in easy travel distance to a variety of places including Florence. I always recommend the Osteria di Passignano. This is actually the osteria part of the Antinori Estate in Chianti. They have wonderful lunches and dinners. They are closed on Sundays. FAX 0558071278.
Everything is great.

Some of my other favorites in relatively close drivng distance include Montepulciano(the first hilltown besides Siena where we felt life went on in spite of tourists) and Montalcino(tiny but the wine tasting at the Fortezza is worth the trip).

Many people speak of Pienza. We did not go but would go in a heartbeat next trip.

We were in Italy in the first three weeks in October. It was glorious but did rain much to our surprise. September should be even better.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:52 AM

kingster,
See my trip report for ideas on things to do and places to eat in the area.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34494897
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Hi Kingster! I am looking into having my wedding at Torre Palazzone in May 2006. When you get back, can you e-mail me your impression of the place? Their website looks great but I'd like to hear about their level of service and so forth. Thanks and have a great trip.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Hello there to all of you interested in Siena. If you go to the International Herald Tribune's website (www.iht.com) and click on Travel you will see a beautiful photo of Siena and a very interesting article. Happy travels!!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the article info, but I waited too long to look it up.

Maybride, we leave Wed. to start our two week trip. We plan on flying into Milan and driving to Stresa. From there we meet our group near Siena at Torre Palazzone for a week. So far our experience in planning the trip and my wife's birthday celebration has been fine. Rio, the owner, has been very responsive to my emails in spite of her busy travel schedule.

We are travling with a couple who had a family reunion there two years ago and liked it so much they recommended it as the destination/location for this event. They swear it's "haunted".

My friend in Milano says this is a well know, centuries old castle that he recommends highly. I think the location is great and will suit us well.

Email me at [email protected] when we return on 10/04 to remind me to give you an updat and to update this trail.

King

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:38 PM

kingster,
My daughter just left Siena yesterday after being there at the University for 6 months (in tears)...and we visited her there in May...you can check out the trip report at
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...+artlover8fd=2.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM

I would reccomend you visit Montalcino. My husband and I had a driver called Marco takes us there last June. Marco was great and really made our trip easier. His English is perfect. If you are staying in or around Florence or Siena, hiring a driver for a day is a good way to get to see a lot without loosing too much time in logistics. This way you can see and enjoy more than one town in a day (For instance you could see Montalcino, Pienza? and Montepulciano?) without trying to figure out bus timetables etc. Marco's e-mail is [email protected]. He seemed to be pretty popular at the time so availability might be an issue.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

OK; Better late than never, I say. My wife and I took a trip to S.Africa almost immediately following our Italy vaca., so, that and the holidays have us way way behind on a Tuscany update.

We had the best time ever at Torre Palazzone near Sovecille, Italy. We were maybe 15 minutes from Sienna City Centre. The 11 rooms were nicely appointed, but my wife says that a couple of trips to a design center and a few new pillows would get that place an extra star or two, lol.

We did love it, thought. The location was perfect. In the middle of nowhere but at the same time 10 min from a supermarket and main roads to everywhere you want to go. It worked out well for our large group that our rate included breakfast and dinners prepared by their chef on-site. He went out of his way to accommodate us.

One of the best parts of our trip was the fact that every 2-4 of our guests rented their own car in Florence or Sienna. Every morning, people would split off in groups according to who wanted to do what where. I was only responsible for the day trip to Florence in which i arranged two motorcoaches with guides--all set up through the concierge at Torre Palazzone.

As nice as the towns were, it seemed that our group was all back at the villa each day by 6 in order to start happy hour and enjoy the place. Dinner was set according to our schedule. Most nights they set a large table outside in the courtyard with candles and flowers.

For my wifes birthday, for a nominal charge, they took care of an impressive party in the old barn with cocktail hour, decorations and live music. We danced until early morning!

I could go on and on about the surrounding towns and wineries already covered by other contributors. I would highly recommend the type of trip for a birthday, anniversary, or family reunion. We got a lot of bang for the buck.

Regards, Kingster
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

PS- Maybride, Your email address does not appear next to your name, and I am not sure how to retrieve it otherwise. You can mail me at [email protected].
KF