Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Siena Hotel Piccolo Oliveta room question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We received a response back from the hotel and they offered 1 large double room with private bathroom/shower, quiet room on the top of the old building with a nice partial view of the Tuscan countryside for 145E (end of Oct, early Nov, 5 nights). The website does not show much about the rooms. Is the "old building" a nice building and how high would the top floor be? Should we splurge for a room with a "full" view or stick with the partial? Thanks again.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Hi JennaJ,

I stayed at Oliveta a couple of years ago and will be there again in May. Antonio and Alexandra are wonderful hosts.

You can look at my web site which shows you the room we stayed in, room G. It had a partial valley view. at this link, http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/italyhotels.html, scroll down to the hotel listing (Nov 2001) and click on the two photos I have there. I don't think you need to splurge with a full view since you'll be out of the room most of the time anyway.

I think you'll enjoy your time in Siena and at Oliveta!

Take care,

Monica
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Monica. Your link was very helpful! How was the Guelfa Hotel in Florence???
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Nevermind, I found the price of 185E. Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:20 AM

No, Hotel Guelfa only 85 Euros/ night with continental breakfast for my stay next month (haven't been there before - it was listed in the Cheap Sleeps book and another one). Are you looking at the correct hotel? This one is a budget hotel on via Guelfa. See this web site: http://www.hotelguelfa.com/inglese.html

Monica
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Topping for Jenna!

Monica
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Sorry for the multiple postings.

Jenna, you must have been looking at the Torre Guelfa. The one I'm staying in is a budget hotel. I can let you know how I liked it when I return at the end of May.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

So what does "topping" mean? Sorry, I am new to this!
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM

"Topping" only means bringing a message to the top of the page.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 12:35 AM

JennaJ,

we just stayed in the Oliveta last Thursday night. The view of the Tuscan country side is very nice. We even took a couple pics of the view, which I can email to you if you give me your address.

We didn't pick a room with the view. If it were me, I would not pay more for the view because it faces mostly east (no dramatic sunset) and there is no terrace.

This hotel is simple tuscan and very clean. If we go back to Siena, this is where we will stay. Excellent location, adequate, secure parking, and the nicest hosts. As Bob the Navigator put it before, it's probably the best deal in Siena right now.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:51 AM

The Piccolo Hotel Oliveta in Siena is a great choice. I would not worry about paying more for a "full-view" room, unless of course you feel you must, just know that the other rooms have perfectly nice views too even if they are partial. We had a large double that faced a church and turning your head provided beautiful landscape. We were on the top floor. I believe there are only 3 floors.

Trust me when I tell you that you will not spend too much waking time when you are in the room. Opening the shutters when you wake in the morning to get a glimpse of the soft hills - even if it's partial, will thrill you. The rooms are simple, clean, and comfortable - perfect. It will seem a little strange at first having the bathroom on one end of the room and the shower room at the other, but it's not something that should bother you - just different.

What's more spectacular than the view, is getting to know Antonio, Alexandra, and Fabio. Their hospitality is genuine, they are warm and friendly. They have wine and snacks available in the early evening (at extra cost, but not much and the added value makes it a bargain), and I would suggest that you join them - it certainly enriched our trip. Before you know it you will feel as if you are life-long friends.

The location is perfect for those with or without a car, just outside the Porta Romana. It's an incredibly easy walk to anywhere in the walls.

If you will have a car, which we did, I would still recommend going on one of the half-day wine tours of the Chianti through the hotel (Antonio runs a tour and transportation company called "Country-Tours.&quot Although we did not take a tour, I wish we had, and next time we visit we will. Fabio is a driver, and he is very sweet.

Ask for dinner recommendations from Antonio and you will be glad you did. Every meal in Tuscany is wonderful, however, the best meal of my entire life was at Osteria La Sosta di Violante. Anyone going to Siena must go to this place! If it's on the menu when you go, you must get the grilled veal steak, seasoned and grilled to perfection! The next time we visit Siena, I would be happy to eat there every night.

Anyway, now that I've gone on too much I want to offer you one last piece of advice - just go, don't worry, and you won't be sorry. Now book that room already!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:34 AM

For other restaurant recommendations Alexandra recommended La Torre, 7-9 via Salicotto, Trattoria da Dino, 71 Casato di Sopra, and Nello La Taverna, 28 Via del Porrione (Antonio?s favorite).

Monica