Search

Siena lodging

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siena lodging

We would like the name of a moderately priced hotel/inn in Siena. We want to be able to wander around the town in the evening and early morning (rather than stay in another town and have to battle the parking in the morning). Where have you stayed, and what did you like about it?

Thanks.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM

BobandBunkie,
I have used Cannon d'Oro http://www.cannondoro.com/ it has a great location. Also used Alma Domus a great location but no frills and inexpensive.

Hotel Minerva http://www.albergominerva.it/ is a little more expensive than Cannon d'Oro but is more modern. I don't like the location as well as the first two.

Henry
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:55 PM

We stayed at www.hotelduomo.it, and the best thing about it is the location. If you're interested, book way ahead, because it is very popular, probably b/c of its great location and "reasonable" rates.

Our room was rather basic, but I wonder in retrospect if we were in an annex of some sort b/c we had a circuitous walk to our room when we got off the elevator on our floor. Bottom line, not luxury, but clean, friendly, and again, well located.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM

I just checked out the website, and the rooms look very nice, much nicer than I remember. Perhaps they have refurbished, or we were in a very basic room that they don't show on the site.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM

It's never clear what "moderately priced" means.

But I'm eyeing Palazzo Ravizza's "Loft" room at 120 euros. They have their own parking near the hotel, within the city walls.

http://www.palazzoravizza.it/
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Bob and Buynkie:

We have favored The Hotel Santa Caterina and have sent many of our feinds and families there who have all agreed with our leanings. It is just outside the South Gate (Porto Romano), and takes about ten minutes for a pleasant walk into the center of town.

This way, you return to an oasis in the evening, a beautiful property with handsome grounds, scenic views from the garden over the valley beyond. Excellent buffet breakfasts, and sizeable rooms. It's an 18th century mini-villa and attractively priced at about $125 U.S.

Stu T.
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3564...nta_caterina-i
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Excuse typos...."Byunkie should be "Bunkie", "friends" not "feinds"

Stu T.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM

I concur with Stu's take on Santa Caterina's appeal. We stayed there last August in the only room - I think - with a small balcony. Amazing views of the valley and breakfast in the garden with the same views made you reluctant to leave. The staff was friendly with capable English skills, and they had parking on the property although they do stack them deep so you may have to wait as they move other guests' cars to get to yours. If you don't want to walk into the center of town, there's a bus stop right outside the hotel which will get you back and forth in minutes.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Hotel Athena is a nice, reasonably priced hotel in Siena. I stayed there for three weeks last January and found the staff very friendly and the premises extremely clean. It is about a 10 minute walk to the town center.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM

I stayed at the Palazzo Fani Mignanelli this past March. It's a small hotel, right smack in the center, 1 block from the campo, with lift. I'll stay there again.

http://www.residenzadepoca.it/