Sicily: Siracusa or Modica as base?

Sep 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
SRS
Original Poster

Sicily: Siracusa or Modica as base?

Am in the very early stages of planning a trip for next summer. As part of that trip, we are think of staying 4-5 days in either Siracusa or Modica. From that location we would see Siracusa, Modica, Ragusa, Noto, etc (open to suggestions). We will also be staying in Taormina and likely near Agrigento so neither of those areas would be seen from this location.

Which is a better place to base oneself? Or is there another better location? I've read that there can be serious traffic getting to Ortigia so that made me think that Siracusa might not be best.

Or would you cut it into two bases? But to me they seem rather close?

And how many days - we want to have things to do, but not be rushed. I was thinking 4-5 days.

Thanks,
Sally
Sep 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
SRS
Original Poster

This would be in August.
Sep 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM

With 4-5 days, you should split it up. Probably 2-3 nights at Siracusa (nice city) for Siracusa and Noto. And 2 nights in Modica or Ragusa for those two towns (very close together).

That's because the highway between Siracusa and Modica/Ragusa is not an Autostrada. It'll be a very long and hurried day to do Modica and Ragusa as a single day-trip from Siracusa. And it makes no sense to go out there twice, even if you have the time.

Looking at the time stamps on digital pictures, the last one I took at Modica is 10:11am on December day. Got out of town, drove through Noto (missed the bypass - you know about Sicilian road signs... ) , parked the car on Ortygia, found tabacchi to buy parking scratch ticket, and the next photo is taken at 12:00 noon.

I'll say actual driving time about 75 minutes. But it takes time to get into and out of town, find parking, etc.
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:51 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan! Just the sort of advice I was looking for!

I really enjoyed your trip report and photos by the way.
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Along the same lines, here is my tentative itinerary. This trip would be next August. And it would be me and DH and DH's parents. We are all experienced Italy travelers, but this will be the first trip for all of us to Sicily.

DH and I prefer to move slowly. My FIL prefers to move at a quicker pace. I am in charge of the plan. We will only have 15 days and nights. Instead of open jaw, I am thinking that it might work better given what we want to see to do a circle starting and ending in Palermo.

Fly in and out of Palermo.

Pick up rental car.
3 days - West coast - base Baglio Oneto Resort. http://www.nh-hotels.it/nh/en/hotels...to-resort.html Visit Erice, Selinunte, Segesta.
2 days - Modica - base Casa Talia. http://www.casatalia.it/english/casa_talia.htm Visit Modica and Ragusa.
3 days - Siracusa - base Palazzo del Sale. http://www.palazzodelsale.com/ Visit Siracusa and Noto.
3 days - Taormina - base Villa Schuler. http://www.hotelvillaschuler.com/en/. Visiting possibilities Etna, Caltigirone (does this make sense from this base)
2 days - Cefalu - base Collegio di Maria (convent). http://www.conventisicilia.it/eng/frame/frame.html.
2 days - Palermo - base Hotel Plaza Opera. www.hotelplazaopera.com. Visit Monreale enroute from Cefalu. And return car.

Things I am interested in seeing but I am not sure where they fit: Agrigento (possibly enroute to Modica? or maybe we skip this trip as we are going to see Selinunte and Segesta), Piazza Armerina (possibly as a daytrip from Cefalu - doesn't seem near any of my stops - and seems to be about 1:45 from each).

I feel like I am shoving too much into too few days. What do you think re timing? I know I am leaving virtually no time in Palermo. I am purposefully keeping it short as DH and I will definitely go back for a longer stay, so hopefully we can just get a "taste". Plus it will be August, so I don't think it will be very pleasant weather-wise and my in-laws tend to wilt - they don't like Italy in August, but it is when DH and I are able to go.

Should we skip Cefalu? I want some beach time and I am not sure where else I am getting it.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!!!
Sally
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
SRS
Original Poster

TTT
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM

We visited all three - Segesta, Selinute and Agrigento. Each is different, and it's hard for me to suggest deleting any. You'll be passing through Agrigento on your way between the west and Ragusa/Modica anyways, so you should definitely stop there - even if for just a short 2-hour visit.
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
SRS
Original Poster

rkkwan,

Good idea - don't know why I didn't see it before depsite my addiction to viamichelin - we'll see agrigento on the way to modica.

How does the split of days sound? Are we moving too fast? Are we spending too much in any place and not enough in another (I know we are too little in Palermo).

Thanks
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Hey, my parents and I covered a little less than what you're planning with just 6 nights on Sicily total.

I think the split is pretty good. I don't think you need too much time in Palermo. What you have is adequate.
Sep 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Thanks again!
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Check out the website www.lovesicily.com run by two residents of the town of Modica.Katia and Ronald
..When you want expert advice always ask the people who live there . For inside info on central Italy you should check www.elegantetruria.com
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM

bookmarking