Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sicily: Do we need hotel reservations in May?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:16 AM
evelyntrav

We will be in Sicily the last two weeks in May and stopping at many of the sights as we drive. Do you think we'll have difficulty finding nice places (3*-4*) places to stay if we go without reserving ahead? It would be so nice to be free and not to have to stick to a schedule.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:42 AM
Angela

If Taormina is on your list, make sure you get reservations ahead of time. We went in May two years ago and ended up in Taormina Mare at a mediocre hotel. We also could not get our first choice in Palermo (Centrale Palace) and found a room at the Jolly Hotel, which I thought was awful even though it is a 4* hotel. I suppose if where you stay is not as important to you as not sticking to a schedule, I think you can always find something.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:42 AM
Tom

You'll have no problem if three-star fits your definition of "nice places". Hotel ratings in Italy are often classified with a six-scale rating system.

5-star-luxe
5-star
4-star
3-star
2-star
1-star

Sicily is a very popular destination for travelers from all over Europe, and around the world. And accordingly, hotels compete at the top end.

1-star means probably the bottom 10%
2-star might be the next 10%
3-star is still only about the next 10 or 15%.

So, by saying that you are willing to stay in three star places, it means you will be happy with "the best of" the bottom third.

Here's a very typical three-star place in Sicily.

www.venere.com/it/agrigento/costazzurra

Nothing wrong with it. And it has rooms available tomorrow and every other day this month. May will not be much different.

But it is not in the top half of the barrel for Sicily. Not even close.

Travelers who plan their itineraries to stay in specific nice places make reservations. Travelers who don't care all that much about the places they stay get along fine without reservations. Those same people might share your values, that it's "nice to be free and not to have to stick to a schedule."

Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:19 AM
Alice

Has anyone stayed at Villa Schuler in Taormina?

Oct 4th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Maria

I've not stayed there, but I stayed at a hotel that was nearby. It looked very nice from the outside and was at a good location. I think it is a 3-star hotel - so if I wanted a 3-star, I would probably give it a try. Their website is very informative.

Oct 17th, 2002, 02:31 PM
gac

In May, you should reserve ahead to stay at the better properties in Sicily (especially the well-established boutiques and resorts). Otherwise, it could be hit-and-miss.