Reload this Page >

Sicily Car Rental

Search

Sicily Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:17 PM
evelyntrav

Sicily Car Rental

Do you have any preference for a car rental agency in Sicily? Do you think it is possible to pick up the car in Palermo and return it in Taormina or Milazzo? I was thinking about dropping it off in one of these cities, and then taking the ferry to Lipari and taking a return ferry to Palermo. This would follow our ten day trip visiting many sites within Sicily.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:49 PM
b

I think all the major companies rent in Siculy. I picked up a car in Cantina and returned in it Palermo. <BR><BR>We just did a price search on car rentals in Italy and www.autoeurope.com was the less expensive by far. You want to make sure to compare insureance and deductables. They will get you on those. <BR><BR>Also, if you don't know how to drive a stick, Sicily is not place to learn

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Ann

I second B's suggestion for AutoEruope. I did extensive research. Even when the other car rental agencies tell you their fee covers everything....it's a lie. When I listed all the insurances AutoEurope covered in their price, Hertz, Avis, etc. said "Oh. no, those are extra." A lot extra. They also charge a large deductible. AutoEurope has no deductible. We had a brand new Alfa Romeo and picked it up at the Avis counter. You can trust AutoEurope even though they're a consolidator.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:32 PM
evelyntrav

Thank you for the feedback. I'll check with AutoEurope.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:55 AM
A

can you rent automatic in Sicily? I assume it would be more expensive if you can

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Ann

To: A: I think you can rent an automatic, but just a suggestion. You would be much better off seeing if someone could teach you how to drive a manual before you go. It's not hard. You never know if you reserve an automatic and when you get there they don't have it.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:15 AM
g

We rented a car in Catania airport and dropped it off in Palermo airport last year.<BR><BR>We originally went through Auto Europe but then I checked Hertz to a comparison, they were higher and when I told the agent that she matched and lowered the rate by $20 from what I had at Auto Europe. So we went with Hertz<BR><BR>I have heard nothing but good about Auto Europe though.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:47 AM
Angela

We rented through AutoEurope just a few weeks ago. We picked up our car at Avis in Messina and dropped it off at the airport in Palermo. We had no problems whatsoever. We've rented through them before and I would highly recommend them.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:30 AM
Maddy

Depending on whether or not you plan to do sidetrips from Palermo (and which ones), you might want to pick up your car the day you leave Palermo. You really don't need it in the city, and you'll avoid the 14% airport surcharge on the rental if you pick up from a downtown location.<BR><BR>As others have said, AutoEurope usually has the best rates including insurance with $0 deductible, good service, and allows drop-off to another location with no additional charge.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:45 PM
evelyntrav

I called AutoEurope. For a manual transmission for 12 days the cost is $575. Insurance is mandatory in Italy. I haven't checked others, but I will. Thank you for your help.