Madrid or Barcelona ?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:27 AM
Mark

Madrid or Barcelona ?

Hi,

I have a week's vacation around 3rd week of November and am debating between Madrid and Barcelona. Any suggestions ?

We are a young couple interested in Architectural stuff, scenic beauty, museums to an extent, and Spanish culture.

Whats a better bet ? Madrid and Seville or Barcelona ?

Thanks !
Mark

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:58 AM
maria

Barcelona hands down.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 10:57 AM
Mark

Thanks Maria, could you give me some more info on this please ? I have to convince my wife and I am afraid a simple 'hands down' wont do it for her !

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:07 PM
kayd

Barcelona gets my vote for architecture (Gaudi and his contemporaries, the entire Eixample district, Roman remnants, Gothic cathedral) and nearby scenic beauty (oceanfront and mountains within an hour's drive).
As for museums, I declare a tie -- the Prado is not to be missed, but Barcelona has the fabulous museum of Catalan art plus the Picasso and Miro.
Madrid wins for "Spanish" culture because Barcelona is Catalan, which I find just as interesting as Castillian Spanish culture.
You can't lose, no matter which you select. If you have five or six days to spend, take one or two day trips from either city, e.g. Toledo from Madrid, Montserrat or Tarragona from Barcelona.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:08 PM
Maggie

Another vote for Barcelona!
It has everything you are looking for - and more.
Just go and enjoy the experience - it has a far younger outlook than Madrid or Seville in my opinion.
Enjoy your trip,
Regards
Maggie.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:30 PM
ca

Sevilla is BEAUTIFUL

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:43 PM
SiD

I've only been to Barcelona, that's because after talking to 2 of my colleagues that have been to both places, they BOTH recommended Barcelona. Madrid is just like any major city similar to NYC.

But Barcelona has flavor, Gaudi's works are incredible. There's alot to do there. Definately stay near La Ramblas!!!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:59 PM
Teresa

I know the three and Barcelona is also my choice.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:25 PM
AM

Been to Madrid twice and returning in Nov. I still pick Barcelona, and I love both.
Stay in the area with Gaudi buildings, not the Ramblas (too noisy, pickpockets). Every street is a dream of architecture.
Museums to die for, and don't miss the smaller ones. The Picasso for his early works, the Tapies Foundation, and the incredible frescoes removed from churches of the Pyreness at the Catalunyan. We were there a week, could have been longer.
And the food, incredible. It's very cosmopolitan, beautiful.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:48 PM
Paula

I'd vote for Barcelona. Great city.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
RC

It's a tough call. If you like Gaudi and Gothic architecture, Barcelona is great. I have to disagree with the above poster who said they are even on museums--Madrid's two top museums, the Reina Sofia and Prado, are the two best museums in Spain. The food is a little better in Barcelona, but the potential side trips (El Escorial, Segovia, Cordoba, Seville) are better in Madrid. It all depends on your taste.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM
Laura

Hi Mark - I have been to both Madrid & Barcelona and if you're in to architecture, Barcelona would definitely be my choice. Gaudi is phenomenal between the Sagrada Familia and some of the museums and town houses he designed. Even some of the architecture that was designed for the Olympic Stadium is very unique and interesting.

However, I must say, I also loved Madrid. I agree with one of the other people who responded above that said that Madrid wins for culture. They have some wonderful tapas bars and plazas, great museums, flamenco shows, and although I hate to admit it, I did go to a bull fight. I am against cruelty to animals, but I just had to see one while I was there.

In any case, if your priority is architecture, you should do Barcelona.

Or, did you think about splitting your time up between Madrid & Barcelona. My friend and I spent 3 1/2 days in Madrid and 3 1/2 days in Barcelona. I felt like this was sufficient time and I still got to see all of the major things I wanted to see. Good luck. Either way, you'll have a great vacation! Spain is terrific!