Reload this Page >

Should I take this airfare or wait

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Sue

I found this round trip air fare for Boston to Paris for July of 2003. $823. What is your best guess? Should I grab it or wait? Every other air fare is 940 to 1100. I realize no one knows for sure, but I want input.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:32 AM
jayme

I would wait, that seems a bit high

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Lewis

That's not a bad price! I've also seen $950-$1,300. Your call though.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Debby

Have you tried bestfares.com they seem to have some terrific fares

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Stephanie

I don't know if I would take that or not. Do you have to fly into Paris? I am flying roundtrip from Atlanta to Amsterdam in April and I got an Expedia discount fare of $461. It was one of the ones where you didn't get any details until you had locked in to buy the tickets. Ordinarily, I wouldn't do something like that, but I couldn't pass up that price. It turned out to be a great flight (Atlanta-Philadelphia-Amsterdam), with no early morning or late night connections. I would keep checking, as you have quite a while and that does seem very high to me.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Christina

I would wait. It's not a bad fare for peak summer rates, but it's not unusually cheap, either, so I think there should be plenty of other opportunities for a fare like that within the next few months so that you won't miss out on anything if nothing better comes along. I'm just guessing, and I don't track Boston fares in particular, I'm just relating it to general east coast fares.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Mina

Sue, I know some people don't like them, but have you tried a consolidator? I am trying to find a fare from LAX to Paris, and since my trip is over a period of 2 months, I was not getting anything decent from airline sites.<BR><BR>I just got a price quote for the flight/airline I wanted for $300 cheaper than Delta's site at around $550 (including all taxes). Even though I am traveling off season, it's not a bad price considering the duration of my stay. It's a nonstop flight too!<BR><BR>Let me know if you are interested in the company. From Boston to Paris, I would imagine you could do better than $823, even if it is peak season.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Lorna

Are you stuck on July? I just traveled from Boston to Paris in September and got RT air and six nights at a 4-star hotel for that same amount of money (per person).

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:52 AM
monique

WAIT! It's way too early! BOS-CDG can be cheaper than that in summer. Where are you looking? I suggest that you check everyday on expedia, orbitz, and travelocity. Eventually there will be a sale (may last only a few hours, best to check early in the morning) or even a mistake. I have flown BOS-CDG for $300 in March and $400 in late May (including taxes!). I have seen British Airways have 'sales' (may have been mistakes because they were gone before lunch time) from Boston to virtually everywhere they fly in Europe (through LHR, of course, nit direct).<BR><BR>You should be able to get under $600 (maybe even as low as $400 if you get really lucky) without any problem if you can check every day and wait a few months. Check out eurotrip.com/forums cheap flights forum every once in a while for postings on 'mistakes.' I post mistakes or great sales I find for Boston there.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Wendy

I guess I'll be the only one here to say that sounds reasonable to me for July. We go to Europe fairly often in July, and it has always run at least $800 out of JFK, even through a consolidator for the last few years. Remember- that's the height of the travel season. Good luck whatever you decide. By the way, we've used the consolidator company called &quot;Travac&quot; with great success.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:02 PM
are

Wendy: I agree with you. Monique is quoting March and May prices. I have been paying around $800 R/T on transatlantic fares in July for the last 25 years.<BR>But as low as $250 in winter...

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Sue

Thank all of you for your opinions. I have to travel during prime time because I work in education. I have used a consoilator in the past and do not mind doing os again. I have also paid $1000 for the past two years for tickets to Italy and Greece. I also thought it was a decent deal. Anyway, I will decide tomorrow. Now I need more help. I am confused by bestfares.com. It appears that you can not put in exact dates for travel like you can in other flight web sites. Am I doing something wrong? Also they do not seem to have fares for this coming summer. Any help with this web site would be grateful. Thank you so much.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:19 PM
flygirl

my favorite consolidator is Airdeals at 1-888-999-8757.<BR><BR>I've used them over a dozen times in the past few years - and I always get rates I am happy with (whether they are THE CHEAPEST I don't know, I rarely look further as I am always happy with what they tell me)

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:29 PM
StCirq

WAIT! you can definitely get a better fare. Check in with www.faredeal.com for the next couple of months, as well as with the airlines themselves. I woujld guess you could shave a couple hundred dollars off this fare.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Walter

Good things come to those who wait. <BR><BR>keep checking for lower prices. <BR><BR>You should be able to snag an advance purchase at a much lower price.<BR><BR>Relax. Take a nap. Boston to Paris airfares will come down.<BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:05 AM
nina

Too high, and it's too early. I suspect those who have paid more stop checking becuase they don't want to know that they overpaid.<BR><BR>You have nothing to lose by waiting. It's certainly not going to be difficult to find a fare of $823 again, since it seems a little high to me, especially for Paris. The reason you are finding other fares for $940 to $1100 is because there are no discounts yet. <BR><BR>Give it a few more months at least and keep checking daily. The real sales won't show up until Spring for July.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Dori

I don't know the answer to your question. Can just give you my recent experience. I went to Rome this past September (from Chicago) and was checking Orbitz and could never find anything under $1,000. I ended up buying my ticket early (in March) from a consolidator through my travel agent ($780). I checked periodically to see if prices ever went down. Everytime I checked they were at least $1,000 if not higher. Grant it, I was not checking every single day but I was happy with the $780. I'm going back to Rome the last week in March. Got a great fare on Orbitz through British Airways for $430 (including taxes) that I purchased about three weeks ago. That's not the high season, but it's getting there. Of course that price was sold out pretty quickly. Airfare to me is like the stock market, who knows??!!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Sue

St. Cirq,or anyone else who's used faredeal.com: is this one of those sites where you don't find out the carrier, etc., until after you've booked, similar to priceline.com?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:14 AM
xxx

Don't I remember a lot of similar posts at this time last year? And don't I remember a lot of posts in May of people who still weren't finding good fares for July? In fact, don't I remember posts from people regretting that they hadn't bought their airfares earlier as they had only gone up for high season?