Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Did you make new friends when on vacation and do you keep in contact?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Marina

We met a wonderful French couple when we were in Sicily last May and would like to maintain friendship with them but how since we are in France only once a year?<BR><BR>Did you meet any intersting people when traveling and did you become friends with them? <BR>Where and how long ago?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:27 PM
kk

Yes, We have close and lasting friends from a ski trip in the 80's, women we met in the Carribean on a water taxi about 5-6 years ago (I just had an email today) and have visited in Italy, and other good friends in Italy we met there. We also met a family on a cruise in Greece in '91 that we still correspond with.<BR><BR>I have met other interesting people that I meant to keep in contact with, but didn't and I regret that. Just email or write once or twice a year is enough to keep the contact.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Marilyn

We met a bunch of Berliners on a Greek ferry in 1973, and ended up camping with them for a week. Have remained friends with one couple through the occasional visit both here and there, and through annual holiday cards/letters. <BR><BR>We met up on Crete for a &quot;20 year anniversary&quot; holiday, and I have just been thinking that next year will be the 30 year mark for our friendship.<BR><BR>What really helps is that we have lived in the same place since 1976 and they have lived at the same address as long as we have known them. I think annual contact is important because if a few years go by, someone may move. Of course email has changed all this dramatically. No reason to lose touch now!<BR><BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:50 PM
John H

Hi, Marina,<BR><BR>In the summer of 1988, I met a brother and sister in the Laker Airlines queue along the Thames River. I kept in touch, visited one of them who was staying in NY, went to a fmily wedding, gotten to know the rest of the family, and recently saw two of the family members on my trip to England. They remain among my oldest and best friends. And, we are now setting up videoconferencing capabilities on the Internet to be in even better touch with one another.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Charlotte

On our first trip to Paris in 1991 my husband and I were walking through the Tuileries and met a man who was jogging by. He turned out to be a priest at St. Germain l'Auxerrois church nearby. We sent Xmas cards to each other that year. But we lost touch since then although we've gone back to Paris a few more times afterwards.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:57 PM
John H

Correction -- I was in the Laker queue and met my friends in England in the summer of 1978.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Jill

Great post. We are going on our first independent trip to Europe (Spain, Portugal and France).<BR><BR>Any suggestions how to make friends or how to meet locals and other tourists too?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Nancy

Just be friendly and open to conversation and you will meet people. Maybe make an opening statement or gesture and see if the person wants to talk. <BR>I have met alot of people on trips and keep in touch with some of them, both locals and other tourists. It really enriches a trip to meet people along the way.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Debbie

Hi Marina,<BR><BR>Fun thread!<BR><BR>I've made friends on several of my trips--I think it's a bit easier on solo adventures than when travelling with friends--but it's not too terribly hard then either. I don't think there's any big secret to meeting new people--smile, say hello and go from there!<BR><BR>I've become close friends w/a couple of people I've met while away. Email really makes staying in touch easy. I just got back from visiting two incredibly cool Australians that I met 6-7yrs ago in Alaska. We email quite regularly and speak on the phone occasionally. Next Aug, I'm going to try to attend a wedding in Crete. I met that couple when I asked about a crazy green coctail that they were sipping at our hotel bar. That one question led to 5 days of hanging out and sightseeing and hopefully a lifetime of friendship. You never know who you're going to meet and when! I also keep in touch periodically with a girl from The Netherlands, a guy from Barcelona and a fellow special ed. teacher in Vancouver. Maybe one day we'll catch up in person!<BR><BR>Travelling not only allows me to see new things but I get to meet such interesting people along the way! It's amazing how one trip can expand your horizons in some many different ways.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Nathan

Yes, I have made friends while traveling. This is one of the pluses of travel.<BR><BR>Some I have corresponded with for a while but, then, for some reason we drift apart. <BR><BR> Perhaps I will bump into them on another journey. I hope I will remember their names.<BR><BR>I find that breakfast time in a B&amp;B is a good time to make new friends. A food devouring environment is a good place to strike up a conversation.<BR><BR>For instance you might want to say something like..&quot; This is tasty cereal, isn't it?&quot; Even if they disagree you have conversation.<BR><BR>However there are some things to keep in mind.<BR> <BR>I read somewhere...I think it was Parade Magazine ..that 50% of us are shy. Shy yes. Unfriendly? Not necessarily. <BR><BR>So if someone seems aloof they may not be..they are simply not comfortable meeting strangers. So don't feel rejected even if they refuse to shake your hand. Just go on and find yourself an extrovert who will.<BR><BR>If as a solo traveler you find it contiualy difficult making friends and see a pattern of people avoiding you then my suggestion would be to pick up some Altoids, and, or join an organized tour where, like Cheers, everybody knows your name and you will end your journey with a busload of new friends.<BR>