Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you make lasting friendships while traveling?

Jan 31st, 2002, 03:19 PM
Irene

On the last few trips I have taken to Europe, I have made some friendships that seem to last after I return home, and we keep in touch. I have met Americans while they are traveling also, and we have corresponded and also people from the countries I am visiting.
It is so nice to think that I have a friendship with someone so far away with a different background. Isn't this a rewarding experience?

Jan 31st, 2002, 03:47 PM
Susan B.

My husband and I take many of the river cruises in Europe and we have met many lovely people as we are with them for one or two weeks at a time. We try to seat ourselves at different tables to meet all the fellow tourists that we can. But usually we meet only fellow tourists on these trips. We are limited to time on our own, and can't just make friends that easily on the hurry.
I envy you all that travel on your own!

Jan 31st, 2002, 03:58 PM
Genevieve

I couldn't agree more! People are the most rewarding part of travel; they offer us such wonderful opportunities to explore different cultures and ideas, and the friendships we make along the way keep us connected with such happy memories. Travel leaves us with lasting impressions. How lovely it is to discover that long after our journeys, we too remain in the hearts and minds of those we've encountered. I now have friends in Italy and Greece, and I still correspond with people I met in Hawaii almost 20 years ago!

Jan 31st, 2002, 04:13 PM
mimi taylor

Irene, we have met two families in France, one in Provence, at a post office (over hearing my asking directions to a b&b) and the other in the southwest at an auberge/ferme. This Belguim couple's car conked out and my husband offered to drive them to a garage for help. They since moved to Haute Provence.

Feb 1st, 2002, 09:51 AM
Francine

Yes I have many friends I have made over the years on my trips abroad. I keep in touch with a family in southern Italy that we met in a restaurant many years ago. My friend met a couple in Paris and now they swap homes once a year, and sometimes visit each other too. It is a small world afterall.

Feb 1st, 2002, 02:38 PM
Robin

I just had the wonderful experience of revisiting a couple we met two years ago. They were the owners and hosts of a barge trip in France (originally from the US), and we knew at the time that we were forming a special relationship. A few weeks ago we had the opportunity to see them again in SF, and it was just as if we had only left them days before. This isn't quite the same as meeting residents of the local country, but it's a lasting friendship just the same.

Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:19 AM
Alec

I met my wife on one of my travels. Yes, we are enjoying lasting friendship.

Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:23 PM
Liz Z.

I just spent a day with a friend (American) I met in a hostel in London during the summer of 1969 (we ended up living about 25 miles away from each other). And in April I'm going to Sweden to visit another friend (Swedish) I met in hostel in Amsterdam later on that same summer. So the answer to your question is yes!

Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Alice the Magyar

Yes, I have too. Even better than that I found family too, I was not even looking for! I went to IBUSZ in Hungary to find a room to rent, well, when they sent me to the family's flat, "I at that time couldn't speak Hungarian well", but by the end of the first week I was able to communicate to the family, that my family was from there and that was why I loved Hungary so much. They asked my family name, because I am married and my name is not Hungarian now. I told them. well, to make a long story short, it turned out they were my family too!! My grandfather's second cousins! I had pictures with me of him too and they too had pictures! It's a true Blessing to me! I now stay with them every year I go back to Hungary. I also made many other good friends there that I either just meet there, or had stayed with on other trips there. We E-mail each other and or write to each other often. Alice the Magyar

Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:16 PM
c

I just dropped a birthday card in the mail today to a friend in Australia that I met in 1988 while traveling through Europe.

Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:52 PM
Linda

Irene,
I met my husband in '68 while we were both traveling in Europe. I had lost my luggage and my friends but I met him. I finally found my friends several days later and we all traveled together for a while. What a summer!!! Youth is wasted on the young! In '94 we made our first trip back to Europe and met a couple in Fussen, Germany who shared a table with us at a restaurant and were staying at the same B&B. We toured the castles together and they invited us to visit them in their home near Dortmund. We did, at the end of our trip, and have seen them and been friends ever since. How fun to have German friends that we met in such a way. So, yes,some friendships do remain.

Jul 29th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Jackie

When I studied in Italy, I was able to meet some Italian friends who I still keep in somewhat good contact with. With my plans to move back, it's really good to have them as friends, since I will be able to visit them upon returning. Otherwise though, even when backpacking, I have not made too many lasting friendships. It's often hard to keep in touch at such a distance, but the friends you DO make that way can be some of the best.

Some of my closest friends, though, are ones that I met in my study abroad program (Americans like me). We get together and send care-packages to our Italian friends, and we dream about our returns to Italy!

Jul 29th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Betsy

On our first trip to Europe in 1984, my husband, son and I stopped by a zimmer frei in a small German town near Munich. Elisabeth and Wilhelm appeared at the gate and ushered us into their small apartment on the ground floor of their house. It turned out that Wilhelm worked for Eastman Kodak in NY for 20 years, so they knew Americans well. A childless couple in their 50s, they immediately fell in love with our little blonde five-year old and entertained him endlessly. Thus began a friendship that we treasure to this day. We'd never think of going to Europe and not visiting them. They're in their 70s now and as healthy and active as ever. It's still very special to our family.

Jul 29th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Ellen

Absolutely. In fact, a couple we met in Tahiti 2 years ago are coming to stay with us in a few weeks. Their first trip to NYC and we can't wait to be their tour guides. Haven't seen them since Tahiti, but have been corresponding by email for 2 years. They live in Arizona.

Jul 29th, 2002, 01:15 PM
mpprh

Hi

Yes !

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Jul 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
francesca

A girl asked me where the bathroom was once in JFK and we are still friends, 15 years later. When she got off our plane from New York, she stayed with me a few days in Boston and I have stayed with her countless times in London!