Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should i stay near the spanish steps..or near the vatican?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering staying at a convent near the Vatican. We also are considered staying at the Panda hotel near the Spanish steps. CAn you tell me the pros and cons of each location for our 3 day visit to rome? I like the idea of staing at the convent but I keep wondering if that area near the Vatican is too far for the other main attractions in town thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM

The Vatican is not a good location. The Panda is not bad but the best location is Piazza Navona.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM

A number of different bus lines come together near the Vatican, so it is easy to hop a bus and be at major tourist sites in a few minutes. For example, the ride to the Forum was about 10 minutes. There is also a nearby station for the underground.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM

One "advantage" for some to staying near the Spanish Steps is its Metro stop.

I personally don't care for the Piazza Navona but that's because my interests in Rome lie elsewhere and I find it to be a bit crowded...others, of course, love it.

Have you considered staying in Trastevere?
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM

I am no expert on Rome but I have stayed at the Panda and found it clean and acceptable (I generally seek out less expensive hotels). I would be willing to stay there again. The hotel is close to a subway stop and the Spanish Steps area is quite lively. From that area, if you don't mind walking, you can get to most major attractions on foot and, as noted, there is the subway and Rome has an extensive bus system.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM

<i>Should i stay near the spanish steps..or near the vatican?</i>

Best of all would be a point right in between the two...
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Stayed in both locations ; prefer SS.

Navona is sooooo touristy!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM

And the Spanish Steps are not touristy? For three days stay in the historic center. If money is a consideration, the convent location is within walking distance of the historic center but it will be mile or two away. Spanish Steps area is in the center of everything and within easy walking distance of top 40 Rome. Crowds are big throughout the day, but if you are even a couple of streets away there will be quiet.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM

all of Rome is touristy , if you wish to be picky.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Listen to bobthenavigator!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Certainly not an expert opinion, BUT the Vatican is too removed and, while a bus ride may be short enough, why bother? Why not stay somewhere more central even if it costs a few Euro more?

So, the area about the Spanish Steps would certainly be more central; however, I find the area way too crowded for my taste. How about around the Pantheon, which is still crowded but there is more of an area for the crowds to disperse.
How about the Portuguese? And I apologize in advance for my horrid spelling..

Anna Roz
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Definitely NOT the Vatican area! Piazza Navona always seems to be the place everyone says to stay but you cannot go wrong with anything from there to Via Corso or even up to Barberini area which would include the Spanish Step area. This entire area is easy to walk,take the metro lines or bus and has many different hotel options and restaurants which is always a plus for touring around.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM

I think the Spanish Steps is a very central location. Rome is very small, walkable.

Exception is the Vatican area, it's pretty far out from the rest of the center city, and getting to the other main sites day-in, day-out would be a pain, IMO, especially getting home at the end of the day.

raspberry
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 02:11 AM

We have stayed at the Panda, and liked the location. Most of the sights are within walking distance, and we took the metro to get to the Vatican.

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 03:06 AM

I would pick the Spanish Steps location or, better IMO, somewhere else in the historic center like the Piazza Navonna or Campo de' Fiori neighborhoods. I think you will find it more pleasant to walk around these parts of the city during the days/evenings, and it is easy to get to the VAtican with public transportation.

The Spanish steps is convenient to the major shopping streets if that is a consideration.