Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome, stay near the vatican city or near the termini station??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need help in deciding hotels in rome, italy.
i have a choice between Alimandi - which is steps away from the spanish steps or to stay in "hotel alpi" near the termini station.

also, is it safe near the termini??

thanks for your help.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Pinky - Hotel Alimandi is at the bottom of the steps leading up to the Vatican Museums, not the Spanish Steps. It is a very nice hotel, big rooms, big breakfasts, neighborhood full of restaurants - but quiet. Closest metro stop is about 4 blocks away. The area around Termini seems a little worrisome at night, although I have not stayed there. Of course, it is more convenient to bus and subway transportation.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I think of the "tourist area" of Rome as being the triangle from Termini to the Vatican to the Colisseum. I think it is just a couple of miles on each leg of the triangle. If you are a fairly able walker anywhere within the triangle is going to be "close to the action".
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM

I would probably stay near to the Vatican. I didn't find the area around termini that nice.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Neither ! I would stay near Piazza Navona or the Pantheon. Are your choices limited?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,
what are you hotel suggestion near the Piazza Navona or the Pantheon??
it seemed a bit pricey near that area, and the 2 hotels i mentioned above was rated high on fodors and venere.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Frankly, I think the "information" about it being "unsafe" near Termini hs been somewhat overblown. You'll notice that the people who have "heard" all this have also "never stayed there."

There are some very nice, and highly-rated hotels within a few blocks of Termini. Now, if you are IN the station or right next to it that might be a litle different. The immediate area is not as "picturesque" as some other parts of Rome but I will top this so you'll get even more comments.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

HI Intrepid
thanks for your info
so i'm assuming you have stayed near the termini.
what hotel did you stay?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I have stayed near Termini in Rome as well as in other locations more central to the sights. Usually I ended up staying near Termini because the hotel was a choice in an inexpensive air/hotel package. Here are my thoughts on both of your choices:

If you stay a few blocks from Termini to the north, east, or west, the neighborhoods are safe though not particularly quaint. Many find the conveinent access to both metro lines and all buses a plus. Also if you plan to daytrip by train away from Rome, being near Termini can make life easier. There are many restaurants to choose from in the area, some "touristy" but many other choices as well, including one of my favorites. The neighborhood is busy and can be noisy. There are a few quieter residential neighborhoods not far from Termini. It is at least a half-hour walk to the ancient center of Rome and most sights first-time visitors plan to see. I actually chose to stay near Termini on my most recent trip since I planned to concentrate on a number of sights in that area.

Once away from the area directly surrounding the Vatican, the neighborhoods are residential, safe, though not particularly quaint--a nicer feel than the streets closest to Termini. You will have access to one metro line and some buses. There are many restaurants to choose from in the area, "touristy" ones close to the Vatican where you can actually eat poorly for a high price, but many fine choices as well. Daytrips by train away from Rome may require a trip across town to Termini, not too bad on the metro or in a cab. You will be across the river from the ancient center perhaps the same walking distance as if you stayed near Termini. I might chose to stay near the Vatican if I planned to spend more than one day visiting its many features or wanted a quieter location. However, a location right next to the Vatican might not be so quiet.

Don't ask me to recommend a particular hotel near Termini, as I'm not sure I would recommend any I'd used. However, if you mention one, I will give a truthful critique.

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:01 PM

I stayed in both the Spanish Steps area and also near the Termini in Rome. Near the termini we were 2-3 blocks from the station, so we could walk with our luggage but that was the only thing I liked. I really disliked the termini area. It's tacky and doesn't at all compare to the charm of the Spanish steps, Piazza Navona or the Pantheon areas. I think location is everything...but, of course, that costs more! Travestvere (SP?) is also very charming and I believe there are hotels there that cost less.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:42 PM

I stayed right by the Termini years ago and it was NOT safe then although I understand things may have improved. The hotel did not have air conditioning so we had to sleep with the windows open. What with the noise of the buses coming and going all night and a fellow traveller telling us of someone trying to climb in through his room's window, we did not sleep at all.

Our next trip we stayed at the Alimandi which we really enjoyed. However, I know others here prefer other areas.

You might do a search of both of your hotels here and on tripadvisor.com and see what comments you get.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Myself, I'd never stay near Termini by choice. Anywhere but there, and I'm not talking the safety aspect, it's just not well located to the sights, and parts of the area are sleazy (but not what I would call unsafe-which I define as being in fear of being physically harmed by some threatening person).

As far as I'm concerned, when in Rome you need to be right in the heart of the centro storico, which for my purposes is Campo dei Fiori/Piazza Navona/Pantheon area. So your choice is no choice for me-I'd be going with the hotel nearest this area which is the Piazza di Spagna.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:27 AM

so, if you are on a very tight budget, you want to walk the city but have no idea of the places to visit.Where will you go, what places will you visit, where will you stay, which will be a point in the middle of the most important sites. We have only 3 days, it is a short time for a big city but that is what we can afford.

Does anybody know about a hotel 2* or a hostel for 4 people? it has to be clean and in a convenient area. no more than that.

Tks for your advice.
milla
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ellenem,
thank you for your advice.
i would appreciate it if you could give me comments on "hotel alpi" 4 blocks from termini.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Someone in my office will be staying at Hotel Sonya which says it's near Termini in front of the Roman Opera House on Via del Viminale in October for 120 E a night. They have a special listed for July for 80E for a double. I hadn't heard of this hotel before but the website looks nice. www.hotelsanyo.it They provide a private bus service from the airport for 12E.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry - typo. www.hotelsonya.it
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:39 AM

This is what the recent thread was talking about that encouraged people to give a specific amount for their budget. pinky, what do you consider "pricey"? milla, what do you mean when you say "tight budget"? HOW MUCH PER NIGHT do you want to spend? If people know that, they can help more.

Check out the convents. I'm staying at Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri in Sept for 45 Euro per night for a single room. It's in a fantastic location near Piazza Navona. If you do a search here, you will see very favorable reports. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Pinky,

I don't know the Alpi, but I once stayed around the corner from it on Via Gaeta. The neighborhood is better than right around Termini, though Alpi is just off a busy traffic street.

Is this your first visit to Rome? What do you plan to do while there? This is a good location to visit the Borghese or Via Veneto or catch a train, but if you are hoping for strolls through charming streets near your hotel, you will have to walk 30-45 minutes to the center.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ellenem
yes, this my first trip to rome (with my hubby).
the criterias we are looking for in a hotel.
1- price -- euros 110-145 max
2. clean
3. showers / br is a good size and working well
4. location -- easy to get around and yes it would be great if we can take nice strolls -- w/ lots of restaurants and cafes
5. breakfast included

and we do plan to take a day trip to florence

we will be in rome for 6 days.

do you have any suggestions??

whatever tips you or anyone can give me for a first time tourist to rome, i would greatly appreciate it.

and thank you all for your cmmts.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:27 PM

If you want an inexpensive, well located hotel, check out Residenza San Panataleo. We stayed there when in Rome, and were very pleased with what it offers for the price. It's a bare bones, clean, small hotel, but in a fabulous area between Campo di Fiore and Piazza Navona. One warning - some of the rooms are tiny, others are very spacious.