Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I cancel my spring break to Madrid?

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We leave in 48 hours for Madrid. I called the State Department, and they said it was too soon to give us advice on whether to cancel our trip or not. We are only there for two days, Sunday and Monday, but I am so scared. Is there anyone else that has plans to head to Madrid in the next couple days? What should I do?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is unlikely that another terror attack will occur in the same place, and so soon. To be honest, America is much more at risk from attack.

Go, enjoy your holiday. After all, terrorism is about disrupting normal life - don't let them win!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:24 AM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sensibly stated, m_kingdom. Glad to see that you are capable of posting cogently.

Lots of Madrilenos will benefit from not taking any greater hit in tourism-based income than can be helped.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM
ira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi rp,

Right now Madrid is the safest place in the world.

If anything, security will be too tight for you.

Go. Don't worry.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont blame you rpngirl..I would worry about also..Anyway just go and dont think about it...
We cant live in a glass cage all our life, besides rpngirl, if it is your time to go, not matter where you are..you go..
Have a great time and dont worry..Let us know about your trip.ok? Ciao,
kismet
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just another viewpoint to the very valid ones posted above. Spring break starts tomorrow. The city will still be reeling from the shock of todays events (and my sympathies to them all) over the next few days and weeks and you will surely be affected by the emotions and sombre mood surrounding you. Not sure what kind of a spring break you were planning in Madrid but be aware that it may not turn out as you initially planned. However that said, going would be a great way to show your support and soldarity with that marvellous city and it's citizens.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I feel much better than I did this morning... and m_kingdom is right. I'm not going to let terrorists ruin my vacation. I'm actually glad that I can go mourn with them, and support the tourist industry and everything. I'll report back when I return next Sunday. Thanks again for the advice!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:39 AM
donnabee

We plan on going to Spain in August. After this terrorist attack, new Prime Minister, pulling their troops out of Iraq....do you think the Spainards will treat Americans differently now? Will it be safe to travel there?

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think a new prime minister and a troop withdrawal will result in some different treatment of Americans. The vast majority of Spanish people have always opposed the war and never wanted their troops sent to Iraq. Most Spaniards, and most Europeans, are sophisticated and can separate animus toward the U.S. government from animus toward U.S. citizens. Perhaps we could learn such a lesson here.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to live your life scared then stay home and lock your doors, otherwise go about your business and have a good time.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:00 AM
donnabee

It's not that I am scared....I just don't want to spend a lot of money going to a Country I love, and then getting looked down on and not treated nicely. One good thing out of this, maybe the airfare will go down in price!

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looked down on? are you kidding. we went to egypt and jordan april 02. the people were some of the nicest we have experienced anywhere, we (wife and 7&9 year olds) are going to DUBAI in 2 weeks and i expect that the people we meet will be as gracious as i have experienced in my other travels.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:21 AM
JonJon

I'd like to know where Ira is getting all of his information..probably from that same sight that says lightning never strikes in the same place twice..anyway, being scared is not going to help you...acting like an ADULT will so just go. If you do get hurt, send the medical bills to Ira down in the back country.