Anyone crazy about Madrid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious. I haven't been there yet. I've read more than a couple comments here and elsewhere online which indicated opinions that Madrid was so so.

Of course, I don't believe everything people tell me online.

I was just wondering if there are some Fodor people who feel the opposite! Also, what have your experiences been like in this city.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Depends on what you like. If you're really into lots of grand, preserved 500-year old buildings and all the historic squares and plazas, you're probably not going to be too wild about Madrid - it's a relatively modern city and not particularly beautiful, at least not in the vein of Paris or Amsterdam or Seville.
But if you like great museums, vibrant neighborhoods with character, clubbing and bar-hopping until it's time to go to work, and just enjoying life, you'll be quite fond of it. I happen to very much like Madrid, though my first choice in Espana is Barcelona.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:48 PM

I actually am quite a fan of Madrid. Besides the lovely public squares where I enjoyed people-watching, I really enjoyed the nightlife (dance clubs, etc.).

And it's also the home of one of my favorite film directors, the great Pedro Almodovar!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM

You may want to download a copy of Maribel's Guide to Madrid for a little more understanding of the city. (http://maribelsguides.com)
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:36 AM

I love Madrid. I'm sure this is due to the fact that I studied there for a year in college and lived there again for about a year four years later. I associate Madrid with a lot of growth and positive change in my life. So it's hard for me to have a very objective view of Madrid.

That said, my husband and his brother love Madrid too. They have travelled quite a bit, especially my brother-in-law.

I think what Madrid has is more of a feel than a look -- although there are parts of the city that are quite beautiful: around the Palace, the neighborhoods around Retiro Park, the view from the Templo de Debod, to name a few.

I agree with the comments by the other posters and I heartily recommend downloading Maribel's guide to give you a good idea of what to do/expect in Madrid. Maribel has her finger on the pulse of the city and will not lead you astray.

Madrid is definitely the kind of place to enjoy the buzz on the street -- wandering around from place to place, people watching from your seat at an outdoor cafe after a hard day of studying great works of art or a big stroll through Retiro park. Keep in mind that a lot of the "buzz" starts after the sun sets and runs late. And you certainly don't have to be out clubbing, if that's not your thing, to enjoy late night Madrid. If the weather is right, you can sit outside in, say, the Santa Ana area, have a great conversation with whomever you're travelling while nursing a drink and enjoying the commotion all around you of people laughing and singing and moving from place to place.

If you end up travelling to Madrid, we'd love to hear your take on the city.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM

You can also count me in as someone who loves Madrid for some of the reasons already given: the old town around Plaza Mayor, the fantastic museums, the tapas bars in the Santa Ana area (which is where I always stay), the cafes along the Paseos, and some very good restaurants. Pretty much all I need to make me feel quite happy*...
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Madrid is great for clubbing and late-night bar hopping. (If you're near any the noise from 4/5am of everyone leaving is horrendous.)

Other than that it is primarily a large modern city with lots of high-rise buildings, loud, dirty and hot (we were there first days of May and it was in the high 90's). There are a couple of good museums, a Royal Palace and a nice park. IMHO - good for two solid days - then head for the interesting parts of Spain.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I actually liked Madrid more than some of the "hot spots" like Seville. Madrid has some excellent restaurants. If you like museums then it has one of the best in the world - the Prado. There is great shopping, for all budgets. There are some excellent side trips to be made in the area, such as the El Escorial and other Royal Palaces. Yes it is a large modern city, but sometimes that is not a terrible thing. It is easy to get around and it has all the conveniences, banks, embassies etc. Go - if you like to travel you will like Madrid.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Hi (or should that be hola?)
I spent two weeks in Madrid without getting bored - it can be done. If like me you believe in giving the world's great museums and galleries the time they deserve, you'll have no shortage of things to do. It's a big enough city that you could spend several days just wandering around different neighbourhoods, each with their own subtly different atmosphere. I'm not a night club person but if that's your scene I'm told that Madrid has a lot to offer.
Being a big city though, it has its down side. The pavements / sidewalks were as dirty as any I have seen. How to put this delicately - I didn't feel there was the same demarcation between different city centre zones that you find in other places. 4 or 5 star hotels next door to less salubrious places that offer "services" that are illegal in many countries, if you get my meaning. Casa de Campo, the big park to the west of the city, is a good place to escape the hustle and bustle, but again in some parts of the park, even in mid afternoon, the oldest profession is actively seeking custom. The locals seem oblivious, I have learned not to judge others, but visitors of a more conservative background could feel uncomfortable.
If you are at all interested in art, Heironimous Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" and Picasso's "Guernica" are two paintings you absolutely totally have to see before you die - and you can't see them anywhere but Madrid.
If you're wondering whether to visit Madrid at all - yes, definitely, unequivocally. How long to spend there? How long is a piece of string? Two or three days at least - you can always go back if you miss something.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for Madrid - with the number one attraction for me being the Prado - as mentioned, a world-class museum (and one of my personal favorites). Madrid is also a good location for a couple of great day (or overnight) trips: Toledo and Segovia.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Ooh, yes...Segovia is lovely!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Madrid's OK, but, it's no Barcelona.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:33 AM

I LOVE Barcelona too, but Madrid feels much less touristy.

I felt it was easier to talk to the locals in Madrid. The city has a more laid-back feel to it than Barcelona does.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM

I like Madrid a great deal..for what it is...a major European capital with one of the greatest museums in Europe, etc. Perhaps not as "grand" as Paris and not as diverse as Barcelona. As to the locals and their reported non-concern about prostitution; that may be as much a consequence of European attitude in general toward sex as anything else, despite the strong Roman Catholic influence there, and in Spain in general.

I hope you'll see the city someday because that really is the only accurate way to find out if it is everything, or anything, you've been told.

But then again, since you say you don't believe everything people tell you online have all of our posts been for nothing?????
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:48 AM

When I was planning our trip to Spain a few years ago a great website was www.madridman.com. See if it's still there.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM

I'm not a Madrid fan because I don't think its a place you can get a real appreciation for on a vacation. It depends on what you are after though. I think a lot of people expect something stereotypically Spanish and its just not like that.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM

I went to Madrid for the 1st time last year for 4 nights (then headed to London). This was also my first visit to Spain. I loved Madrid, but I think a few days is enough. It is a great place to visit for a taste of Spain. I think Madrid combined with another city or cities (Barcelona, Andalucia, etc.) would make a great trip and is definitely worth visiting if you have the time and it fits into your schedule.