Shopping for antiques around Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some of the best towns around Paris to shop for antiques. I am especially interested in finding antique fireplace mantles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Hi, spolei!
When I asked about flea markets and second-hand places recently I got a host of replies, many of which I cut and pasted. The information that follows is a little disjointed, because it's a compendium of many posts, but maybe some of it will be of some help:
"Paris flea markets: overpriced, overpopulated, over-rated.The flea markets are not what they used to be;beware of pickpockets. Seriously. the English version of the tourist office site calls brocantes "second-hand markets" .The largest and most famous is the Marche aux Puces de St Ouen-Cligancourt. Leading off St-Ouen's Rue des Rosiers, just a short walk from Paris's metro stop Porte de Clignancourt, 12 separate markets sprawl over 17 acres.

Marche aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves, (14th arr. I think) considered the most casual and least organized of these markets. Odds and ends, furniture, clothing. Great for bargain-hunting browsers. Sat, Sun, Mon 7am-7pm. Go early Saturday morning, you'll find more interesting items, less plastic junk. Metro Porte de Vanves. This is a temporary market. The vendors set up shop sat morning and leave by the end of day sunday. Most goods are presented on card tables or on the ground. Prices tend to be lower here and I have found some interesting items. This is more my idea of a flea market.

For more information: www.les-puces.com
Puces in the 4th & 14th arondissements:

http://www.metropoleparis.com/1998/316/puces316.html

March aux Puces de Montreuil is much smaller and less expensive. Clothing, furniture, housewares. Sat, Sun, Mon 7am-7pm. Metro Porte de Montreuil.
Pick up a "Pariscope" magazine at any newsstand as soon as you arrive (3 FF). There's a section on "brocantes" which lists neighborhood flea markets going on that weekend You won't have to wander to the outskirts of the city (Clignancourt, Vanves), and they're typically about one or two blocks long.

The website Bonjour Paris also mentions
Village St. Paul, 4th. "A wonderful Sunday outing in the Marais, Village St. Paul winds through courtyards, alleys and rues. Prices are reasonable and anything can be found here, from second-hand linens to antiques.".
There are quite a few neighborhood weekend markets--I think they're listed on one of the "what's going on in Paris this week" magazines, but I can't remember the name. Also check the Paris tourist office website--www.paris-touristoffice.com and do a search under Events, Second-hand sales."
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:36 AM

Spolei, just be aware shipping an item like this can be quite expensive. I've been to the puces at Cligancourt & fallen in love with some things but shipping charges kept me from making purchases of anything I couldn't carry. It's fun to look though
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:41 AM

I was thinking of making the trip to the big flea market but this makes it sound not worth a trip. Would there be better places to even just look at antiques? Isn't there an area in the city that has a number of shops? Someone also mentioned an antiques mall? Is this just the flea markets or is this a permanent thing in or around Paris?
Thanks
Old May 18th, 2003, 08:26 AM

Consider doing a daytrip up to Brussels--the Thalys train ride is only 1 hour 25 minutes. The Sablon section of Brussels is not only one of the prettiest spots in Brussels, it's also antiques central. You will find one antique store after another in the main square itself and also in the many small streets that spider around it. The Sablon also has several nice cafes and restaurants. Many of the antiques dealers in the Sablon *will* arrange shipping. There is one store that specializes in fireplace mantels, fireplace accessories, etc., right by the Wittamer chocolate store on the main Sablon square. On week-ends, there is also a high quality open air antiques market in the Sablon; best to go in the morning to early afternoon. It winds up by mid-afternoon.
Old May 18th, 2003, 08:50 AM

There are a lot of antique shops in the Clignancourt "flea market", it just isn't really a flea market in the usual sense people think of that term. So if you are looking for antique shops, that would still be a good area, I think. They aren't necessarily cheap, and you will pay shipping, but I think you'd have that problem of shipping costs anywhere. These are professional shops, so just don't expect to get something really cheap from someone who doesn't know its value. I suppose you can buy antiques cheaper in some less urban areas of France, but if you are looking within Paris, I still think it would be a good place. There are a couple good websites that describe the stores and give maps, you might want to peruse them.

www.les-puces.com
www.curiositel.tm.fr/saint_ouen/
www.parispuces.com

There are, of course, regular antique stores within Paris -- St-Germain and the Marais seem to have many shops. In St-Germain, look around the streets Bonaparte, Saints-Peres, Bac and Jacob.
There is also a pricey "mall" area near the Louvre with decorative objects and antiques, perhaps that's what you are thinking of, the Louvre des Antiquaires.

www.louvre-antiquaires.com

I don't know about antiques in towns around Paris.