Shopping for a Cagoner

Search

Shopping for a Cagoner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for a Cagoner

I have a nice collection of Nativity sets and it occurs to me that a cagoner would be a interesting addition to one of them. I'll be in Barcelona in March. Any chance I could find one there at that time of year? (I'm not really interested in a novelty one - ie Mickey Mouse - but something which looks a bit more like the traditional nativity figure.) Help would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Well, I had to look this one up--Fodor's is certainly an education.

Looks like Barcelona is the place to find one but can't understand exactly what message someone sh---ing on the ground "sends" with a nativity scene.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Well that certainly sounds tasteful!

I guess there is a market for absolutely everything.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Is that part of your Xmas family tradition? Unless those gathered around your Christmas tree have a Catalan background, I can't imagine such a "squatter" as being anything other than offensive.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

It is very traditional. Often the things we encounter when we travel seem strange, and sometimes offensive. I've been there.

Perhaps I should just ask if anyone knows of a place which sells nativity figures and leave it at that.......
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I have a friend that has a nativity set that is made up of prune people and animals. A cagoner would seem normal compared to that.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM

NorCalif talks about this in a recent trip report

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35174875

“the Catalans have a figure called the "cagoner" which is put in their nativity scenes. It is a little human figure that is, um, well, pooping. And it leaves nothing to the imagination; he's squatting there with his pants down and the product of his labors is there too. Evidently the tradition started in the 1600's but the meaning is a little unclear. At various times the Catholic Church and the government have attempted to ban the cagoner from at least the public nativity scenes, but the bans supposedly met with such public outrage and defiance they were rescinded. There was a booth at the cathedral market devoted solely to cagoner figures and it was the most crowded one! Well I guess sh*t happens. Even in nativity scenes.”
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM

I was in Barcelona in the summer and bought 5 or 6 cagoners to take home. People (have to be people who would appreciate them, of course) thought the little guys were great. They were in the souvenir shops where you find post cards, sno-globes, magnets, ceramics, dolls, etc. I got mine at a store at the end of Las Ramblas near the Columbus statue, but saw them other places. The figures were about 2 inches high and made of painted, unglazed clay.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Well, have in mind that the Nativity display we call "El Belén" shows the Holy Family with mule and ox, plus the Magi and servants, shepherds, romans, cattle, houses, a butcher's, women washing by the river, Herod's palace...a lot of people; and somewhere they place this figure, generally a shepherd or a peasant, but lately some politician or public figure. This is a tradition in Catalonia, I for one do not like it, but would not consider it offensive.