Seville, Granada, Gibraltar HELP?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi planning a trip to Seville March or May next year. Want to see Seville, Granada & Girbaltar. Wanted to know if anyone had any advise as to how I should get from one place to another. Car? bus? & how long I should stay in each place. I will have a total of 9 - 11 days undecided yet. Can I do Gibraltar as a day trip? Any help is grealty appreciated.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:55 AM

IMHO car is the best choice in terms of convenience/use of your time. Gibralter is not really worth more than a couple of hours.
I would do Seville and Granada - and strongly consider Cordoba at least as a day trip - and possibly an overnight - about 10X more intreesting than Gibralter - which is really just a big rock.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, respectfully disagree. We thought Gibraltar was interesting as hell, especially if you're a student of European political history.

I would not recommend it as a daytrip from Seville; long drives plus infinite aggravation at the border re-entering Spain. (If you walk over the border it's much easier, even so I think it's a bit long for a daytrip.)
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Melz- can you give us an idea of WHY you want to go Gibraltar?
the common explanations: to see the apes, to see Africa, for the history. I am a history and art enthusiast, and truthfully the only good reason to see gibraltar is to say you have been there and maybe write a few postcards and buy some duty free stuff.
but if you are bent on Gibraltar see it as a day trip, that will be more than sufficient--there just isnt much there.

instead of gibraltar i would recommend you spend time in Cordoba or in the White Villages. Stay in the white villages (arcos, grazalema or ronda) and if you are still bent on it you can drive down to Gibraltar (about 3 hours)

by train...catch the Algeciras train. from there you can catch the bus into Gib (about 20 mins, i think). there is anotheer train that stops at San Roque/La Linea, that is the closest to Gibraltar, from La linea you just walk into Gibraltar...
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thnx for all the replys. I really want to go to Gibraltar to see the Apes. Is there anything else there worth seeing? So we re undecided how to go about getting there orhow to stay. We will be doing the Alhambra in Gibraltar & wanted to see if we could get reservations at the Parador that is the Alhambra grounds. We are trying to figure out the best route to take if we fly into Seville how many days to stay in each place or just do day trips to some locations???
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 03:03 PM

I am not sure about Gibraltar but I went from Seville (which I loved) and took the train to Granada. It was a 3.5 hour ride but it was a nice trip on a local train. In Granada I stayed at the Reina Christina which is a cute little hotel and very inexpensive. I signed up for a tour of Alhambra at the hotel because I didn't get around to making my reservations ahead of time.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:03 AM

I went to Gibraltar as a day trip from Marbella this past spring. It was easy to get to by car. I would not have gone all that way south and missed it, despite what other Fodorites might say. It was very interesting, though touristy. We left the car and walked in. At the border we picked up and inexpensive taxi tour. With 9 - 11 days you have plenty of time to do this as well as some of the other suggestions.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 04:38 AM

I would spend 3 or 4 days in Sevilla with a day trip to Cordoba (by train), then rent a car and spend a few days touring the white towns (Ronda was my favorite, but there are a bunch of them that you can visit from one base), then drive to Granada, spend 2 days there, then spend a few days in Marbella with a day trip to Gibraltar before heading back to Sevilla for the trip home.

Karen
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thnx for the trip intinerary idea. It sounds like a good way to go. Is renting/ driving there pretty easy? Also why do you suggest Marbella? I was thinking about Cadiz... whats your opinion on the two. I have another post on just that question . Want to do a coastal town that is close enough to Gibraltar to do a day trip & that has some cool things to see.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Melz-
you can do a day tip to Gibraltar from Malaga..perhaps take an organised tour from there so you wont have to worry about the transport.

just an idea..flying into Malaga might be easier than flying into seville. See Gibraltar from there, head up to the White Villages for 2 days (or 3) and then Seville and Granada. There is a direct train from Ronda to Granada, from where you can catch the train back to Seville, if you want to go that way.