Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sevilla-Semana Santa processions from hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to go to Semana Santa 2011 in Sevilla (and other nearby towns/cities--suggestions welcome). We will have with us a 5 year old and an 8 year old. Does anyone know of hotels that might give a direct view of at least one procession (right now it looks like we would be in Sevilla Monday/Tues/Wed preceding Madruga and possibly also Palm Sunday afternoon/evening)? I think it might be difficult to stand for hours with the kids especially if the processions are late. It would be fantastic to watch a procession from a balcony (although I am sure such a room would be expensive) so that the kids could see it easily and go to bed if they get tired. I have seen some of the schedules from 2010 that list the general routes but (1) I don't know if they would be the same for 2011 and (2) I don't know Sevilla well enough to be able to plot the routes very well on a map. Any help would be greatly appreciated as well as suggestions for other places to go to view even a small segment of a procession with a young family.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 07:23 AM

Hotel Las Casas de los Mercaderes on Alvares Quintero has some rooms with views of processionals. I'm not sure which night though (or which rooms). I have a friend that visits guests there each year to view the processsionals from their room.

These types of rooms will be at a premium and often are rented by the same groups year after year.

http://www.hotellascasasdelosmercaderes.com/

Have you considered renting an apartment? Ive personally not stayed at the Puerta Catadral apartments but they're receive some good reviews on TA. They have apartments for 450 euros a night (ouch...) with full and partial views of the processions. They also have a suite for 240 euros a night with no views but with access to a shared rooftop in the building with partial views.

http://www.puertacatedral.com/

My other suggestion would be to buy seats for the viewing once you are there. They have chairs set up along the official route on calle Sierpes and also as the processionals are leaving the cathedral (less expensive). I recall paying less than 10 euros a few years ago for a decent seat. Alot of families had brought snacks and drinks and had their assigned seats - t was alot more comfortable than standing in the crowds.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. I will look into those sites. Do you know how far in advance you have to (or are able to ) buy tickets and is there a central website or phone number to do that?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM

Honestly I don't know for sure but I don't think you can buy in advance. I just purchased mine earlier in the day from the brotherhood when they were setting up chairs. You may want to ask the tourist office in Sevilla. I can also ask my friend who lives in Sevilla.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks CathyM