Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you help a first-time to Sevilla with hotel choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Sevilla next May, and our last night (of 2) will probably concide with the start of the Feria (May 3) so prices are high. But we'd love to see a bit of it, and the prices are not as high as I expected.

I have read Maribel's choices, and looked hard at Casa del Maestro. The price is reasonable (around 160) but I wonder about the location. I feel like we would like to be much closer to the Cathedral area and Barrio Santa Cruz.

Two places I have found with availablity at under 200 euro are Casa 1800 (which is too new to have been considered iin Maribel's Guide) and El Rey Moro Boutique Hotel. The location looks excellent. El Rey Moro looks charming, but as far as I can tell it does not have a roof terrace, which is important to us. We like to sit up there with a glass of something in the evening before dinner.

Casas de Santa Cruz and Apartamentos Murillo are also available, but I am concerned about comments on Tripadvisor that one can book one location and end up somewhere else.

Casa 1800 does have the roof terrace, and the price is a bit less than El Rey Moro. So I'm leaning toward that one.

Any thoughts or feedback? Thanks.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM

My favorite in the Barrio Santa Cruz, walking distance to most sights, is <b>Las Casas de la Juderia</b>. Stayed there twice and have sent our adult married kids there also. Rates around €200. Charming colonial. Off the street, so quiet. Don't recall a rooftop area. When and if we go back to Sevilla, we'll be staying there again. We connected with Santa Semana last time..amazing, unforgettable experience.
A very colorful and beautiful atrium Enjoy Sevilla!

stu (there is a very good video with this web site)

http://www.eurobookings.com/sevilla-...FQ0-bAodrC17zA
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 01:00 PM

We stayed in (and LOVED) The Hotel Alminar - one block to the Cathedral. It's #5 on tripadvisor (VERY high for a hotel with only 12 rooms).

http://89.248.97.114/$sitepreview/hotelalminar.com/codigo/matriz.asp?pagina=hotel

In May (high season), a double standard room is 125€ and a double superior room is €155
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 01:30 PM

I also stayed at the Alminar in the winter of 2009 - I had a ground floor room though. It was a good location, very convenient for sightseeing and I would recommend it. Plus the folks at the front desk were very helpful - the woman there, sorry don't remember her name, made a flamenco reservation for me.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
kja

I'll second tower's recommendation for Las Casas de la Juderia. The atrium is a lovely place to sit for a drink - cool and quiet and beautiful.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, Alminar is already fully booked for our dates, and Las Casas de la Juderia is well over our budget at more than 285 euros for a double room.

But it seems yuo have all confirmed my thoughts about the location---your recommendations are all quite close to the places I have found that have available and affordable rooms.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM

We have stayed at the Rey Moro this year and can certainly recommend it. You are correct, though, in that it does not have a roof terrace. However the inner courtyard is very beautiful. You will have to decide whether this is adequate compensation from your standpoint. It is a very well kept hotel, and also quiet at night.

Some of their regular rooms are a little small (cramped), such as the first one we had. We were able to upgrade to a suite for not much more money during the course of our stay, and the difference in space was obviously considerable.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy Sevilla, it is a favourite of mine in Spain !
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM

We stayed at Hotel Murillo which is at 7-9 Calle Lope de Rueda. The staff was very helpful, the free breakfast was excellent and the price just right. It has a terrace with a good view of the Giralda tower. It's also in Barrio Santa Cruz and one can walk to the Sebastian del Prado Bus station thru the Jardines Murillo for daytrips to Cordoba, Jerez, Granada or Cadiz. Seville is a very walkable city (the old part), the bus and tram services are efficient as well. Have a nice trip discovering Andalusia.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM

They also run the Apartamentos de Murillo where you can do your laundry for a fee (coin-operated laundromat). Free wi-fi in the lobby and good bathrooms/amenities in Hotel Murillo.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I am looking at the Apartamentos Murillo already; I will check on the Hotel Murillo as well.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi [again] enzian,

you are right in wanting to book your accommodation in Seville asap. when we were booking for the weekend we spent there 2 weeks ago, as soon as I found a place I liked, the last room had gone. I spend several days chasing rooms! in the end I booked a holding room while I looked for something better - I never did.

we ended up with a better deal booking with the hotel direct rather than through venere.com or similar - the on-line agencies were saying that all the room with balconies were full but we booked one direct with the hotel, at the same price and with the same cancellation terms. the balcony didn't have much of a view, but it was very pleasant, and we could hear the sounds of the brass bands accompanying the processions from quite a long way away! [yes - brass bands in Seville - who knew?]
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Hi Enzian,

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Amadeus. It is in the Barrio Santa Cruz. Our room was lovely and called "Concierto". I'm not sure there was a rooftop terrace, but, the location of the hotel is wonderful.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM

I have had really good experiences at Hotel Murillo. However I feel that staying in an old Moorish style house with the interior courtyard and fountains is a totally unique Andalucian experience. If one gets the chance one should do it at least once. It is a huge part of Andalucian culture and you realize why the Moors were architectural geniuses. Hotel El Rey Moro is like this and I believe Casa de La Juderia too. I would choose this over a rooftop terrace.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM

If you can book a room at the Casa 1800 during Feria I'd grab it. I will bet money this hotel will quickly be well known and rooms very hard to book unless well in advance. It's new but the location is perfect and the atmosphere perfect.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM

You're going to Sevilla during a special time. Feria is the big party for Sevillanos.