Reload this Page >

Several Specific Questions About Rome to Sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Joanne

1) Is there a train from FCO directly to Naples or do we have to go to Rome termini then change trains?<BR>2) Once we arrive in Naples, do we have to get on a different train (Circumvesuvio?) to get to Sorrento? Can you tell me a time estimate for getting from Rome to Sorrento by train?<BR>3) Re: climbing Mt. Vesuvius - I saw some pictures and read some travelogues, and parts of the path to the rim look scary for someone afraid of heights. Any input on how dangerous this walk is?<BR>4) Re: the passiagetta in Sorrento. Exactly what is it? It sounds like a parade of young people, but I haven't heard a really good description yet. When and how often does it happen?<BR>5) Any information on Villa Terrazza in Sorrento, or Internazionale Domus (apartments by the Spanish Steps) in Rome is appreciated.<BR><BR>We've zeroed in on our trip planning and are now just curious about the above questions, for our trip with our 18 year old son, his 17 year old girlfriend and our two other sons, 14 and 11. We've been to Italy before, but never south of Rome. Thanks to all of you who responded to my question about staying on the Amalfi coast, suggesting that the kids would be bored. Sorrento does, indeed, seem to be the better choice with more action. <BR><BR>I appreciate any information you can provide.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Myer

I forget if the Eurostar from Termini is 2 or 3 hours (I believe 3).<BR><BR>From Naples go into the basement and follow the sign to Circum....<BR><BR>You'll see an electronic board that indicates the track to Sorrento. After buying the ticket (very inexpensive - a couple of Euros), go to the correct track. <BR><BR>Now you have to be careful. Don't get on the first train. There is no indication on the trains as to where they are going. Check the small electronic board over the track and wait until it says Sorrento. When the train is about to arrive it begins to flash.<BR><BR>Been to Sorrento twice in the past few years and passed on Pompeii/Vesuvius each time.<BR><BR>We spent time just wandering the town, went to Capri (don't waste time with the Blue Grotto - we did on the first trip and were much happier wandering around the Island). Also went to the amalfi Coast (Positano (not much in my opinion), Amalfi and up to Ravelo (definitely worth it).<BR><BR>The bus ride from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi is an adventure. Definitely not for those with a weak stomach. <BR><BR>Hanging over cliffs is not a problem. The issue is that the bus driver drive the whole way with a hand on the horn and alternating between flooring tha gas and flooring the brakes. A tough ride.<BR><BR>My wife decided to pass on the bus ride and stayed in Sorrento shopping while I did the ride. The next day we took a boat ride to Positano and that was quite pleasant although she didn't get to Ravello.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Myer

Forgot to mention. If you want to see photos of the last trip go to:<BR><BR>www.travelwalks.com (non-commercial)<BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Joanne

Thanks for your reply. I saw your website. Your pictures are very, very nice. It's one of the nicest non-commercial websites I've seen. Can I ask what type of equipment you used? I have a quality 35mm camera as well as a quality digital camera, but have only used my digital camera in the last three years for traveling. What did you use? Thanks again for the input.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Amy

Passagiata is simply an evening stroll. Pretty much everyone is out walking around around 7-8 at night, they close down a few of the main streets in Sorrento. It was fun, even if we were just doing it on the way to or from dinner. Hard to explain, you just have to do it. And it's not just young kids!

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Kristin

I think it is about an hour from Naples to Sorrento. It isn't very far but it is a commuter train and stops many, many times. Some are express and they don't stop quite so many times. I was thinking it was about 2 hours from Rome to Naples.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:52 AM
Steve James

Hello Joanne,<BR><BR>Journey time FCO-Sorrento is:- <BR><BR>30 mins FCO-Rome<BR>1hr.45 - 2hrs Rome-Naples<BR>70 mins Naples-Sorrento<BR><BR>You'd have to add to that any 'waiting' time for connections at Roma Termini & Naples, so it's unlikely you'd do it under 4 hours.<BR><BR>I did it last week and it took me about 4.5 hours.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:03 AM
Myer

Joanne,<BR>I haven't convinced myself as yet to go digital.<BR><BR>My camera is a Canon elan 7e with a 28-105 zoom lense. While my camera is not a professional model, it is definitely on the high amateur side.<BR><BR>I've only been using it for a little over a year. Previously I used a Canon AE-1 for over 20 years. A great camera except that it did not have a wide/zoom lense. Also did not have any of the newer features such as autowind, autofocus, etc.<BR><BR>Other than the wide/zoom lense the older camera can do all that the newer one does. The important thing is a decent lense with shutter speed control.<BR><BR>The problem with most photos is that a point and shoot camera has a very small plastic lense. To get enough light into the camera the shutter speed must be set quite slow. Very few people are able to hold a camera steady enough to get really sharp photos.<BR><BR>Also, I have a policy for taking travel photos. It wouldn't be fair to my wife to stop and wait for just the right light or circle a subject until I have just the right angle. I'm not that good anyway.<BR><BR>I shoot lots of film as we go and seldom really stop for more than a minute. I worry about which are the ones I really like after. On average I shoot at least a roll (24) a day.<BR><BR>I used to use Kodak 200 film. I find with the zoom lense that I need something a little more. I tried kodak 400 and 800 and hated the colors. I have switched to Fuji 400 and am very please. I have no trouble enlarging to 8 x 10 and could probably go larger. They are super sharp. I'm impressed with the film. I have use Fuji 800 a bit but haven't enlarged them. I would like to switch to that if the grain is fine enough.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM
xxx

tt