Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

September Germany/Austria itinerary help needed

Aug 12th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

We just found a nice deal on airfare to Munich and plan to take advantage! We were in the Rhine region 3 years ago but have never been to Bavaria. Unfortunately, the trip will be short because we also plan to spend some time in Belgium while in Europe. We will likely have only 3 days/nights in the area some time in the week of September 21 to 28. I would like to see the city of Munich, but I'm worried about Octoberfest crowds. We don't like crowds so we were planning to use the time to see Neuschwanstein, Salzburg, and perhaps Bodensee or other interesting things en route.

Can anyone help with an itinerary for these days in Bavaria? We plan to rent a car from the Munich airport and ideally we'd find a lovely, inexpensive place to stay as a base for 3 nights and travel to each place as day trips. Any recommendations on a central location would be appreciated, as well as must see sights and tips. We're in our mid 30s and really enjoy food and drink more than anything while on holiday, but also like to visit quaint towns and castles. Walking on a lovely trail would be great but hiking in the mountains is a bit above our fitness level.

Also, our plan is to stopover in Amsterdam for part of the trip and travel to Belgium, staying in Bruges. We've been here before and can't wait to return, but I can't decide whether it would be better to do Germany or Belgium first. We'd either be in Germany Wednesday to Friday and Bruges Saturday to Wednesday OR Bruges Wednesday to Sunday and Bavaria Sunday to Wednesday. I always hope to avoid Bruges on the weekend but it never seems to work out.

Eager to hear your advice! Thanks!
Aug 13th, 2011, 06:21 AM

If it were me, I'd settle into a town like Aschau, not far from Prien, the home of Herrenchiemsee palace. It's an attractive area:

http://www.aschau.de/data/mediadb/cm...d544e1%7D.jpeg

From there you could do daytrips to Salzburg and Berchtesgaden/Königssee easily enough. But I might not mess with a car. The Bayern ticket gives you nearly unlimited access to trains and can be used all around Bavaria and to Salzburg too - just 29 Euros per day for 2: http://www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm
Aug 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Russ, you read my mind! It is Herrenchiemsee that I really want to see, not Bodensee.
Aug 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM
ira

Hi CC,

>...use the time to see Neuschwanstein, Salzburg,.... We plan to rent a car from the Munich airport ......<

Neuschwanstein is abut 3 hr from Salzburg. That's a bit long for a daytrip.

I suggest staying in Fuessen and visiting the castles - www.hohenschwangau.de/548.0.html.

Linderhof, my favorite of the Ludwig Castles, is about 0:45 hr away.

Oberammergau, the Wies Kirche and Lindau on the Bodensee are all within 2 hrs.

We liked our stay at http://www.hotel-hechten.com/ in Fuessen.

Enjoy your visit.

Aug 13th, 2011, 04:17 PM

I Agree with Russ about Aschau.Nice village, decent lodgingsd, good restaurants,m a cable car to the top of the Kampoenwand.

If you choose Aschau, one day drive south to Niederndorf (Austria), the east to Koessen, Reit im Winkel (GHemany), wher you catch the Deutrsche Alpenmstrasse (Germamn Alpiune Highway (#305), and take it to Berchtesgaden. Retunr viaa the ASutobahn A-8 (Salzburg Munich) as far as Bernau, drive the short distgnce to the Cheimsee and see Herrenchiemsee, and return to SAschau (about 12km from Prien.

For Salzburg,I would take the train from Prien. You can use the Bavarian ticket (Bayrenkarte) for EUR28 for both of you, all day. If you go by car, you have to buy the Vignette Austrian Autobahn Toll( except if you kno how to avoid the autobahn), parking is not the easiest in Salzburg and expensive in the central parking garage at the entrance to the city, etc. Bayernkarte: Can'r start trip before 9AM, except on Saturday and Sunday, when you can start at midnight. You can use only Regio trains , which - on this short hop - extends the trip by about 10 to 15 minutes. Check www.bahn.de for schedule.
Aug 14th, 2011, 12:54 AM

As you will have so little time, I'd try to focus on one region in Upper Bavaria and not waste too much time in the car.

If Neuschwanstein was top of your list, I'd stay in either Garmisch or Füssen area. Probably more in Garmisch. But then forget about Salzburg and Chiemsee. There is more than enough in that area to keep you busy.

Aschau or Ruhpolding or Berchtesgaden area (all east of Munich) would serve as a good base for Chiemsee, Salzburg, Königsee. But not to see Neuschwanstein.

When you stay close or near the mainline from Munich to Salzburg, the train will usually be less expensive and faster. If you stayed in or around Berchtesgaden, you could take suburban trains or the bus to Salzburg.

If going to Salzburg by car was a total, non-negotiable MUST, then you can easily avoid the short bit of motorway in Austria (for which you'd have to get a toll sticker for €8 otherwise):

Take A8 from anywhere to Salzburg.
Last exit 115, follow Hwy20 towards Berchtesgaden for 2mls.
At intersection Hwy 20/21 follow 21 towards Salzburg.
Hwy 21 will become Austrian Hwy 1 once you cross the (now almost invisible) border. Keep driving on Hwy 1 until you pass Salzburg airport, and follow signs to the city center from there on. Find garage to park (around 2.50/hr with daily max of €14-16). The "Altstadtgarage" is most convinient for exploring the old town.

To leave Salzburg city center is even easier
Follow signs to the airport (or the plane icon). That will automatically get you back on Hwy 1 to leave Salzburg the way you came.
Immediately after you crossed the border, you will have a freeway entrance to A8 back towards Munich.
Aug 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Cowboy 1968 gives away the non-vignette- route secret!!!!!
His is the correct way to go.

The Germans have a phrase for this: Die Drueckeberger Route (Drueckberger = Soemone who wants to avoid something)During Nazi times, there was a famous Drueckberger alley in Munich, behind the Feldherrn Halle, for those who wanted to avoid giving the Nazi salut when passing the memorial to the November Hitler Putsch.