Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you think about this S. Germany/Austria Itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving June 11 - June 26. Fly into Amsterdam and out of Munich

Day 1- Arrive Amsterdam in the AM
Day 2- Amsterdam
Day 3- Train to Koln & pick up car
Day 3 & 4 Stay in Cochem, explore Berg Eltz and wineries
Day 5 & 6 Drive to Baden-Baden via the Black Forest and hit the baths! (DH wouldn't let me last year!)
Day 7 & 8 Tirol Region. Stay in Reutte- visit castles.
Day 9 & 10 Drive to Salzburg and drop off car
Day 11 & 12 Train to Munich, Dachau, and fly home

Questions:
I have two extra days to stick in somewhere- where???
I can't figure out how to fit in Rothenburg... is it doable?
Is there another town besides Cochem I should look into? We were there last summer and thought it was so beautiful!
What about Reutte? Should we stay somewhere else?

My mom and I are taking this trip. I was in Germany last summer, but it will be my mom's first time to this area. We try not to spend more than 90 E on lodging, enjoy decent food and good wine. We're not museum people. We like awesome views, great towns, and historical sites such as castels.
There is something bothering me about this itinerary but I can't put my finger on it. Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:26 AM

You could detour to Rothenburg between the Mosel and Baden-Baden. Maybe spend the night there.

There are lots of cute little towns on the Mosel. Beilstein is a favorite.

Why are you staying in Reutte? Rick Steves' influence? We stayed in Schwangau itself at Hotel Muller. Saw Hohenschwangau in the late afternoon and Neuschwanstein the first thing the next morning. And parking was included. Or were there other castles you were thinking of?

You might spend an extra day driving around the Salzkammergut, a scenic area of mountains and lakes near Salzburg. Hallstatt is an incredibly photogenic town.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:29 AM

From Baden-Baden, you could drive east and visit Rothenburg, Dinkelsbuhl, and Nordlingen, all of which are worth a short visit. It's better than just going to Rothenburg. Then go on to the Tirol region. Reutte is a reasonable place to stay for the castle visit.

I've always liked Cochem, but other towns along the Mosel are also charming. You might want to consider Zell, Traben, and Bernkastel. An advantage of Cochem is that it's farther downriver and closer to the Rhein (If that's important).
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM

You might want to save the drop fee of renting in one country and dropping in another. Keep the car till you get back to Munich. When you get to Munich you won't need or want the car.

Reutte is not really a destination point in my humble opinion. I would rather be in Fussen. Another place we like is Gasthaus Von Schluxen (a farmhouse B&B type place) in Unter Pinswang between Fussen and Reutte just on the Austrian side of the border.

After you see Hohen Schwangau and Neuschwanstein drive the backroads to Wiese kirche, Oberammergau, Schlos Linderhof, Ettal Monastary, Garmish (maybe on to Mittenwald (the voilin makers village). Then see if you want to go by Bertschgaden on you way to Salzburg.

On the way from Salzburg you can stop at Herren Chiemsee (Ludwig's copy of Versaille).
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

LOL- Reutte is bc of Rick Steves. We stayed in a charming hotel there last year, but we were on our way back from Lake Como, so it made sense to stop there. Maybe I'll look into another option this time. We also might only need one night in that region before we head into Austria. What do y'all think?
I think I'm also going to add a night in Salzburg, so we'll have three nights and two full days there.
About the car- I know we will not need a car once we are in Salzburg. Anyone know what the drop-off fee might be for renting in Germany and dropping of in Austria? Would it be more expensive than 2 train tickets from Salzburg to Munich?
Again, many thanks for your help and input!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Just to avoid any confusion. Hotel Mueller is actually in the village of Hohenschwangau--where the castles are located. Schwangau is a little bit larger town a couple of kms. down the road.

There are also a number of nice Pensions and guesthouses in Hohenschwangau that cost about 1/2 or less of Hotel Mueller's rates.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Is driving to Rothenburg very much out of our way from Baden-Baden? It seems like it is in the opposite direction from Fussen. Would it make sense to stop there?
It sounds like a wonderful town... I just want to make sure it is a "doable" stop...
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I think your itinerary looks great.

The drop-off charges are usually quite hefty, and can be hundreds of dollars. I would do some research on autoeurope.com, avis and others to get a feel for what the extra charges would be.

I don't know how you would fit Rothenburg in without it feeling very rushed.

The Salzkammergut is stunning and I would definitely recommend you drive around and experience it. Hallstatt is within an hour of Salzburg and is not to be missed. I would also second the suggestion of driving to the Berchtesgaden area, about 20 minutes from Salzburg. We stayed in this area for a week in May and just loved it.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

REVISED Itinerary!!! What do you think?

14 day trip- June 11-June 26

Day 1- arrive and stay Amsterdam
Day 2- Amsterdam
Day 3- Amsterdam and possible day trip- Harlem, maybe...
Day 4- Train to Koln, pick up car, drive to Cochem and stay
Day 5- Explore Mosel Valley, Berg Eltz, stay in Cochem
Day 6- drive to Baden-Baden via Black Forest
Day 7- Baden-Baden and hit spa (Stay in Baden-Baden)
Day 8- Drive to Fussen (or somewhere near Ludwig's castles)and overnight
Day 9- Ludwig's castles and drive to Austria. Where should we stay? Hallstatt, maybe?
Day 10- drive to Salzburg
Day 11- SOM tour, stay Salzburg
Day 12- Drive to Munich, drop off car
Day 13- Dachau and Munich
Day 14 Fly home from Munich

As you can see, I decided to nix Rothenburg. I will make it there one day!!

Thanks for any and all advice! I just need some reassurance that this is the BEST itinerary for us
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I don't think you can do all the castles in one day then drive all the way to Hallstatt just to spend the night. I would use that night for Salzburg.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I agree with Budman. That would make for a really long day. According to viamichelin.com, its about a 3.5 hour drive from Fussen to Hallstatt. If you do the castles in the morning you probably won't be leaving the Fussen area until noon or early afternoon, getting you into Hallstatt in the early evening. I would break the journey up and stay somewhere along the way, perhaps in Hall, Innsbruck, or Salzburg.

I personally would daytrip to Hallstatt from Salzburg, mainly because I wouldn't want to pack and unpack for just one night. Hallstatt is about an hour from Salzburg, making for an easy daytrip. If you stay in Salzburg, there will be more to do the evening that you arrive from Fussen if you decide to make the drive after seeing the castles.

Tracy
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Ahhhhh- you know what? I think I'm getting Hall and Hallstatt confused!! (And to think, I teach 4th grade!) So, maybe we'll stay in Hall or Innsbruck.... any thoughts on that? Or should we drive straight to Salzburg and day trip from there. We will be keeping the car until Munich to avoid drop-off charges.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM

LOL TXgalinGA! I think its easy to get some places confused when we get into what I call "itinerary mode"!

I usually like to keep the one-nighters to a minimum so I would probably stay in Salzburg but make it a leisurely day of driving, perhaps stopping in Innsbruck or Hall on the way. I believe the drive from Fussen to Salzburg is about two and a half hours.

If you choose to stay in Hall or Innsbruck, I personally prefered Hall to Innsbruck. Both are nice and are in stunning locations, but I found Hall to be much more pleasant and quaint. Innsbruck, to me, felt like big, sprawling city. Innsbruck does have a nice historic center, but my personal preference would be Hall. Of course, they are right next to each other so staying in one and visiting the other is very easy.

Tracy
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay- I think we'll drive from Fussen to Salzburg and stay three nights there. Since we'll have a car, we'll be able to day trip to Hall or Hallstatt.
I also like to keep one-nighters to a minimum. It's hard to get a feel for a town otherwise...
Thanks all!
Any other suggestions?