London Theatre - Need some opinions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in London in February for 7 days. We already purchased tickets for Mary Poppins. We were planning to go to the TKTS booth for some other shows. I read the reviews on lastminute.com and a few others struck my eye...Fame, Guys and Dolls, Once in a Lifetime, and Night of the Iguana. Any opinions on these? I'm iffy on Tennessee Williams. We have been to some of his plays in New York. I loved A Streetcar Named Desire but disliked the other two that I saw. I'm not sure if I should chance it with this one. Also, what time should we plan on getting to the TKTS booth to get decent seats? Should we get there earlier over the weekend?

Thanks - Pam
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM

I am not a huge fan of contemporary theater, but I have to say something for the score of Guys and Dolls; it's just great. I would sit through the whole thing just to hear Sit Down, You're Rockin the Boat; Can do; Luck be a Lady Tonight; and that one about Nathan Detroit's traveling crap game. Really a good solid musical.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Hi Pam, we saw Women in White and loved it. It is an excellent Andrew Lloyd Webber production. Picked up tickets at the TKTS booth. I just checked and it is still playing. Look at this web-site: http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts

We also saw The Producers, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (now closed) My 17 year old and I agreed The Woman in White was great. Haven't seen the ones you mentioned, sorry. We bought tickets around lunch time. At Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we were in the 4th row. The other two we were mid-way back but they were great seats.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
TKTS is open all day long - there is reallt not much benefit to get there early in the a.m. (unless you want to hit Leicester Square before heading somewhere else for your day's sightseeing).

Just about the only time you will see a long queue, especially in Feb, is at opening time. Many people think they need to get there early to get good seats. So they head to Leicester Sq and hang around waiting for the kiosk to open and watching the line grow.

I just go whenever it makes sense during my day - often a quick detour on my way back to the flat to drop off shopping or to change after sightseeing. You can get good seats at any time.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions Babs! We go to a lot of Broadway shows in NYC. It is amazing how much overlap there is! Woman in White is either just opening or has opened here. I'm not a huge Andrew Lloyd Webber fan but I know my sister is going to love it! And I think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is here as well. Producers we saw years ago when it originally opened - wonderful!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM

What about Blood Brothers? We were thinking of seeing that. It looks like Guys and Dolls isn't available at the TKTS booth. I wonder if it is so good it's worth paying full price for? ;-)
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:04 AM

We saw Blood Brothers a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. We got our tickets from the TKTS booth and were able to get excellent seats.

The show has been running for years, and I talked to a couple of people at the theater that said they've seen the show many times, but just keep going back because they like it so much.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Baba, we liked Woman in White too! I loved the sets! Flyingpam, we just saw "Chicago" in London with Darius and it was FABULOUS. My DH's fave musical! Of course, it did't hurt that we were in the second row and you could see what the dancers had for dinner;-). My DH was quite happy.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I second Blood Brothers. It has stayed in my mind more than any other play I've seen.