Search

Feedback on Germany Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on Germany Itinerary

Hi,

I would be grateful for any feedback people can give me on my planned first trip to Germany.
I will be going with my wife and by then 1 year old, from May 2-May 14 next year. I know it is far away but I like to plan my vacations pretty far in advance.

The plan I have so far is as follows.
Arrive in Munich May 3 then stay in Munich until the 7th.
In Munich we plan on seeing one of the 2 palaces, Olympia park, BMW museum, some churches, Dachau, the English Gardens and the main downtown area.
May 8 - Day trip to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein and Linderhof then drive to Ulm and stay the night.
May 9 - Visit the Cathedral in Ulm and then drive to Rothenburg and go on night watchman tour and stay the night in Rothenburg.
May 10 - tour Rothenburg then drive to Munich and stay the night.
May 11-13 - drive to Salzburg and stay two nights there. We would like to go on Sound of Music Tour, go to a castle or two, go to lake Königssee to take a boat ride, and go to the Eagle's nest.
Then drive back to Munich the 13th in the evening, stay the night in Munich and then go to the airport the morning of the 14th.

We will be getting a rental car from the 8-14, other wise we will just use public transportation in Munich.
I would appreciate any feedback on other things that are "must-sees", whether I have packed too much in with too little time, or other helpful insights.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Why are you going back to Munich on the 10th? I'd just go directly to Salzburg (it's about a 4 hour drive from Rothenburg.)

It also gives you another night in Salzburg!
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking of doing that. I did not know if it would work to go all the way to Salzburg for that night or if that would be too much of a drive after a full day. Are there any other halfway points that would be good to stop at for the night and see something in the morning or would you just go straight through?
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:02 AM

It depends on when you're planning on leaving Rothenburg... if you want a stopover town, there's always Regensburg which is a pretty walled city.

However, with 2 nights in Salzburg, you really have only 1 full day plus a few hours arriving & departing, so an extra night might be beneficial with what you have planned.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Agree that 3 stops in Munich is too many - and it's easier to head on to Salzburg and have one fewer hotel check in and out - and a more relaxed trip overall - esp with a toddler in the group.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

OK. I will plan on going straight to Salzburg. As far as things to see in Rothenburg does anyone have suggestions? I was planning on the night tour and walking the wall but is there anything else that you would highly recommend?
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Personally, I think it's a lot after your nights in Munich. Driving to Fuessen, visiting both Neuschwanstein and Linderhof and driving to Ulm could be a long day. If you could, drop a night from Munich and stay overnight in Fuessen, which is a charming old town, you could visit Linderhof on the way there and you could always visit Neuschwanstein first thing the next morning. Reserve your tour tickets in advance for this. On the day you arrive in Fuessen, if it's clear, take a ride on the Tegelberg cable car about 10 min. from Fuessen.

Rothenberg to Salzburg isn't a bad drive in a day. We did it. In Rothenberg, be sure to visit St. Jacob's church. The gorgeous 500 yr. old wood carved alter masterpiece by Tilman Riemanschneider is in the back of the church and up a few stairs. It was a "must see" for us. The Nightwatchman Tour was the best hour we spent there.

Paul
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 02:08 PM

May 8 - Day trip to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein and Linderhof then drive to Ulm and stay the night.>

this could be a lot of driving it seems - I'd hit Linderhof first and then go west to Fussen - be sure to have a time to visit booked online or face a long long wait in line and driving can be slow in this area I think - Ulm is a good poke from Fussen - Fussen is a delightful town to stay in - nice regional town and smaller than Ulm, a big city with an Uber famous cathedral.

But scenic drives for sure just allow more time than you think. Even at Nueschwanstein you can't drive to near the castle entrance but have to hoof it up steep paths or take the fiacres or zoo-like people movers - takes time each way. Not to mention seeing Hohenscwangau (sp?) the other castle there, right below Neuschwanstein.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul
So do you think it would be possible to see everything in Munich if I dropped a day to see Fussen? Just not sure if it would leave enough time or not.

PalenQ
Would you recommend seeing Hohenschwangau in Fussen? I will be seeing other palaces and castles in other areas, so in your opinion would this one be worth spending the time to see?

Thanks
Matthew
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 04:23 AM

Rothenburg - Crime and Punishment (torture) Museum
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 05:15 AM

Hi,

I would think so. Even if not, Fuessen and the are are worth seeing, plus one nighters are a pain. Plus the long day from Munich, Fuessen, Ulm. Doesn't sound like fun.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 09:44 AM

PalenQ
Would you recommend seeing Hohenschwangau in Fussen? I will be seeing other palaces and castles in other areas, so in your opinion would this one be worth spending the time to see?>

Would not be a priority of mine unless I could see it quickly - as I did - the crowds swarm into Newschwanstein and ignore the other older castle - I breezed thru it just to see it and it was, like any Mad Ludwig castle, full of surprises at every turn. But if short on time I'd forego it and not miss all that much after seeing Neuschwanstein.

In fact I would take some time to hike up behind Neuschwanstein to the Marienbrucke - a bridge over a stream high on a hill behind the castle - from here is the classic view of Neuschwanstein majestically down below with the lake in the distance. Mad Ludwig himself used to come here to sit and ponder his castle under construction - pity the old chap was assassinated before he would really ever live in it!

He was called 'Mad' because many Bavarian officials thought the King were mad to deplete the state coffers on his castle-building passion and officials decided with Neuschwanstein they had had enough and pulled the plug on Ludwign by drowning him in the Starberger Sea near Munich (I believe that sea).

anyway that short but steep walk I highly recommend. (do not think possible to drive there but there is I think some chairlift from somewhere below up to near it - not sure - I walked.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Owe actually enjoyed the tour of Hohenschwangau castle more, as it gave a lot of insight into Ludwig's family and early life, as it is where he grew up. You can take a shuttle from the parking lot to Mary's Bridge / Marienbrucke.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 01:44 PM

Hi Matthew
Here is what I would do:
May 3 Salzburg. Arrive MUC, rent car , drive (2 hours) to Salzburg for 3 nights
May 4 Salzburg
May 5 Salzburg
May 6 Fussen. Drive (3-1/2 hrs) Salzburg to Fussen for 2 nights
May 7 Fussen
May 8 Rothenburg. Drive Fussen - (1-1/2 hrs) Ulm- (1-1/2 hrs) Rothenburg for two nights.
May 9 Rothenburg
May 10 Munich. Drive (3 hrs) Rothenburg to Munich for 4 nights. Could see Dachau on this day. Return car.
May 11 Munich.
May 12 Munich.
May 13 Munich.
May 14 Fly Home.

Summary. Nights: Salzburg (3), Fussen (2), Rothenburg (2), Munich (4). NO ONE NIGHT STOPS!

Driving days give a lot of flexibility-leave early (after breakfast) or leave late (noon), many excellent stops to choose from, arrive at destination early( noon) or late (dinner time).

Driving day stops to choose from:

MUC to Salzburg. You do not want major stops, get to Salzburg.
Salzburg to Fussen. Linderhof*, Ettal, Oberammergau, Wieskirche*.

Fussen to Rothenburg. Ulm (Munster*, wife and I climbed to top). Wieskirch*, Romantic Road towns-Donauworth, Nordlingen, Dinkelsbuhl.

Rothenburg to Munich. Dachau. Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, Donauworth, Dachau. Dachau*, then lunch at Kloster/ Brewery Andechs* (adds 1 hr of driving).

My Highlights* (I do not like the words must see):

Salzburg: Old Town*, Fortress*, Sound of Music Tour*( Prepare to sing "Edelweiss", etc., You may have to get a private van tour due to the one year old), Augustiner Braustubl* on a warm enough evening, Berchtesgadener Land*, Salzkammergut* (Lake District), Salt Mine Tour*(Not for the one year old)

Fussen: Neuschwanstein*, Hohenschwangau* (can see both on a single ticket-scheduled such that there is a break between the two castles, reserve from home the 1st English tour on your full day in Fussen)

Rothenburg: Night Watchman's Tour*, Walk the town , Walk the wall*, Crime and punishment museum , Towers*, St. Jakobskirche alter*(also Tilmann Riemenschneider's world famous alter in nearby Creglingen)* , After the day trippers leave*( "Rothenburg ob der Tauber is so crowded nobody goes there anymore"- thank you Yogi Berra )

Munich: Marienplatz*, Hofbrauhaus*, English Garden*, the fun German Dream City Itself*

Sounds like a great trip

Gary
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 02:23 PM

That sounds like a perfect trip Gaey. Wish I posted that it's similar to our first trip, which went like this: Munich directly to Salzburg area. Then on to the Innsbruck area. To Fuessen and back to Munich.
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 07:40 PM

You might consider buying a 14 day Bavarian Palace Pass. It will save you money and time in line buying tickets. We bought one for 40 euro for our family of 4 and ended up visiting more palaces and attractions just because we were driving by and they were "free". Just google "Bavarian Palace Pass" and you will find more info. We visited nearly every place to mentioned. You will have a great time!
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Owe actually enjoyed the tour of Hohenschwangau castle more, as it gave a lot of insight into Ludwig's family and early life, as it is where he grew up.>

Yes but purists will diss both castles as being Ersatz - German for fake medieval castles - Hohenschwangau was rebuilt from rubble not that long before Neuschwanstein and yes Ludwig and the Court lived in it when he was growing up but it was not really finished until 1855 - thus Ersatz and a sham copy to purists...

Well these castles are not for purists but folks who love weird things at every turn and their setting is so so smashingly neat.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I know "purists" diss Neuschwanstein, but not sure about Hohenschwangau castle. Either way, Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee are worth seeing. Over the top gaudy lavish. Loved visiting them.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Yes not your typical to me stuffy old castle stuffed with stuffy old furnishings and art - I loved all three of those pja1 - loved them more than authentically old castles which at times were an endurance more than a delight.
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Gary
Thanks for the helpful reply, I really appreciate it.
I do like your idea for how to do the trip. The reason I was doing Munich first was because I was not sure how much jet lag would affect us, and did not want to end up losing one of the days in Salzburg. Maybe I will just add a night in Salzburg and take one of in Fussen. A one night stay is not my ideal either, but with the limited time, I think I will either do it in Fussen or Rothenburg.

AndiM
I was thinking about buying the 14 day pass, that is probably what we will end up doing, thanks!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

If anyone else wants to give their advice, or any other places they enjoyed, I enjoy learning what other people have done on their trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -