Self Drive Canal Boats HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a great deal of difficulty in deciding which country (Netherlands, Germany, Belgium) to hire a self drive canal boat for two couples for one week in September. They all look so great.
Can anyone suggest the best routes / country to spend a week in a canal boat?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:43 PM

It's funny you left out France, the country I'd most like to self-barge through. I am intriqued by the Midi Canal in particular. Burgundy also has some great canals for exploring.
In Netherlands and Belgium, it seem there are far too many stops -- weirs and locks -- and you can't seem to get anywhere. I'm not familiar with the canals in Germany.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:00 PM

Personal preferences (after France):

1) Belgium
2) Netherlands
3) Germany

I like the area around Ghent and Brugge--beautiful countryside, interesting villages.

Some of Germany's waterways require a license, unlike the other 2 countries.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:25 AM

Please include England.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:48 AM

You could also consider Ireland amongst others. It would be best to study books on the subject as there are so many options, and your choice would depend on your tastes and experience. Do you want narrow canals or broad rivers ? Do you want to visit towns or stay in the countryside ? Are you happy with lots of locks ? Locks are needed when boats go up or down hills, so waterways in hilly areas have more locks than those in flat areas - there are hardly any locks in Holland. Do you want a quiet waterway or one with lots of other holidaymakers ?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:18 AM

I would choose Holland simply because I believe there are more things to see within a shorter distance.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:32 PM

GSteed.
I agree. My husband and I rented a self drive boat twice in England. It was lovely but a lot of work. Navigating the locks and mooring the boat isn't all that simple for novices especially when dealing with a 70 foot long narrowboat.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to these replies because they start the travel cells in my brain thinking.
"Klondike" can you please tell me more about Ghent and Brugge, and include some contacts if possible.
Michael, can you tell me more about Holland, places, operators etc.
It is really hard when you are in Australia, have never done the"canal thing" before.
So, I welcome all your inputs. Thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:51 AM

I only remember the brochures and looked at maps. We used Rives de France on the Burgundy canal and I chose that canal on the basis of where one way itineraries were available and what might be the different interests of a party of 12. For example, some don't like too much heat, so I ruled out the Canal du Midi as being in a potentially warmer climate than more northern locations. Rives de France, in spite of its name, also provided boats for Holland and Germany. Their brochure and guide books should give a sense of what might be interesting on various itineraries. Google Rives de France and I am sure that you will get the web site of other self-drive operators as well.