help with itinerary for wwII sites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to visit wwII sites in normandy, belgium, and would love to go to southern germany to the eagles nest but don't think that is reasonable. thinking of flying into paris and out of how far you guys think i can make it. i can fly in and out of anywhere delta flies. how long would it take to drive from normandy to munich? i would only have about 10 days. i have spent alot of time in paris and would not have to stay there at all. i plan on renting a car but don't know if i should keep the car the entire trip or train to luxembourg. any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Go to Michelin travel/route planner and plug in Caen, France and Berchestgaden, Germany. It is quite a haul, and without stopping in Belgium it is 11+ hours drive time. To give any time at all to the sights you wish to visit I suggest it is not do-able. Normandy/ Belgium for this trip and Germany next time....or France only this time and Germany/Belgium later.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:12 PM

I have been to many, but the WarI cemetaries in Eastern France (Lorraine and Alsace in the Voges Mts.) are among the most inspiring re: the waste of armed conflict.
M (fmr LCDR, MC, USNR '60's and '70's)
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM

If you'd like to visit some WW II sites in Germany, you needn't drive all the way across the country to Berchtesgaden, whose "Eagle's Nest" is very often termed a disappointment by visitors.

Much closer to Belgium and your trip's center of gravity are the WW II sites nearer the old Siegried line. One site I've visited is the Nazi underground fortification called "Panzerwerk Katzenkopf". It was unearthed and made accessible by local volunteers was only open on Sunday afternoons when I visited a couple of years ago:

www.westwallmuseum-irrel.de/gb/

You could also visit the terrific museum at the old Luddendorf Bridge ("Bridge at Remagen&quot in the town of Remagen, near Bonn:

www.bruecke-remagen.de

American and Nazi cemeteries are to be found in nearby Luxembourg as well.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Here's another museum that covers the Huertgen Forest conflicts. I haven't visited myself, but it also lies near the Belgium border not far from the towns of Eupen and Monschau.

www.huertgenwald.de/hwmuseng.html