Self catering Paris vs. hotel - costs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse me because this question is a bit hypothetical as I haven't decided between 3 options for my 2005 trip. However, maybe you could help me out on this one.

Sad but true, my budget is bare bones, and I mean really bare bones. In fact, maybe I'm on the wrong forum!

I know of a great deal, self catering, but it is a 20 minute tube ride to, say, the Tour Eiffel.

If I were closer in at an, ahem, super economy hotel, would I really save that much money than in the further out self-catering?

I do like to be centrally located. Also, this self-catering establishment - which is very clean and nice - is a good 15 minute walk to the nearest metro station. A bit of a walk - then add the 20 minute metro ride with a transfer.

My self catering super clean studio is 53 euros a night.

Can I beat that? The less than ideal part is the location, which is the the 14th, not shabby, but further from the center.

Remember that I sadly only eat sandwiches and street food and such, which at least can be cheap - so is the self-catering worth it for 7 nights? I can, if discreet, bring food into the hotel room.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:41 AM

You can get an apartment in the Marais for 55 Euros per night here:
http://www.an-apartment-in-paris.com/index.html

Maybe the location would be more convenient.

As to how much you will save either way, I guess it depends on your tastes. You can always buy breakfast items fresh each day no matter where you stay. I can't see much savings there. As for lunch, you can pick something up somewhere, etc. If you don't require elaborate cooked foods and aren't saving food from day to day, I don't think it makes much difference in cost.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Well, I stayed in Hotel de Lille Pelican for 55 or 60 Euros (I really can't remember) for one night over Labor Day weekend. The location of that hotel is excellent. It's very near Louvre des Antiquaires, the Louvre museum, and the No. 1 Metro stop.

I'd obviously prefer this location to the 14th Arr.

Now, the hotel itself is truly basic as well. For a longer stay, it may be slightly depressing. You do get what you pay for.

I've read some nice things about Tiquetonne, but I've not stayed there.

Time Out Paris lists a bunch of budget hotels for under 60 Euros. If you're willing to share a bathroom, you can probably even go lower than this. I've a friend who stayed in a hotel very near the Place des Vosges.

So you'll have to think about a couple of factors. If you want a cheery hotel, then a budget option is probably not for you -- your studio may be a little better. But if location is key and you won't be hanging out in your hotel too much, there're many budget options!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM

By the way, if your budget is truly minimal, you may want to investigate how you can lower museum admission fees. Some are free on the first Sunday of the month, and some may offer reduced admission late afternoon (I'm not sure about this). Save a few euros here and there and you can have a nice dinner with the money.

The other major factor would be transportation costs. I'd investigate all the passes ahead of time and find out which ones are the best for you in terms of economics.

I'm sure that careful planning is the key here.

And, enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:55 AM

I agree with Willtravel that you can probably find a self catering situation in a more central area for the same price. It may not be as nice as your one in the 14th. Price also depends on how long you stay. Many places charge less the longer you stay.

So I think the real issue on hotel vs apt. is how much time will you spend "at home" and will you take advantage of the kitchen in a self catering place? Also, if there's more than just yourself, you'll have more room in an apt.

Slowtrav.com is another good place to look for reviews of apts and websites for renting.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your thoughts. It really helps to have some input.

I shall do more reseach on budget hotels nearer the center.

But WillTravel, I'm liking the website you pasted for me. Merci beaucoup.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 12:19 PM

From another website sponsored by a travel book, the same sort of question was asked..and one of the posters gave this website:
http://www.hotel-marignan.com/

THey have a kitchen for use by the guests... interesting idea! and I liked the location.. and am thinking that when I go in March, to give this a shot.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're planning mostly sandwiches and cold picnics from the grocery store, I don't see an advantage to self catering whether central or further out.

Paris is the perfect walking city. I only used Metro one time, but I was staying in the Latin Quarter and walked, walked, walked, walked. It's free and you see so much more. So personally a 15 min. walk to even find transpo then 20 min. ride to get near where I really wanted to be in the 1st place wouldn't cut it.

I'd rather share a toilet or have a less nice place to keep within my budget, but stay in the 4th-6th.

I've never had problems eating food I bring into a hotel room, but I am discrete and take out my own (food-related) trash.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:14 PM

That hotel, the Marignan is in the 6th (I think I read...)and "just 5 minutes from Notre Dame", which in my experience makes it pretty derned central! The kitchen facilities would be nice if one purchased the "to go" food at those places that sell all sorts of 'hot" dishes as well as salads, side dishes, etc... one has to have a hot meal once in a while.. or one would get the wind! <GRIN>
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:38 PM

You can certainly find a budget hotel for that rate more central, but where in the 14th is this that you think it is so horrendous? I prefer to stay in the 14th and do a lot. It's not that far away, after all it borders the 6th. I'd choose based on how nice this place was, but it sounds like you just picked it because it was cheap. So, there's nothing wrong with a lot of the 14th, but since you said this place was 15 minutes walk from a metro stop, it's not in a very convenient part of it, I guess. I wouldn't ever want to stay in a place that far from a metro stop.

The Marignan is in the 5th, not the 6th, on rue Sommerard. It's right next to the Jardin de Cluny hotel. It's really budget, kind of like a hostel, and I don't think they take credit cards and won't give refunds if you cancel, even ahead (or something like that, check restrictions). It's really not that cheap for a 1* hotel, actually, I think there are probably better choices. You'd probably like it okay if you don't want a lot though -- you meet a lot of backpackers, etc., there.

I would never give up my own toilet etc to stay in the 4th-6th, myself, which goes to show you different tastes (as I said, I don't stay there anyway, and I could).

There are good choices and ideas on www.eurocheapo.com
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:24 PM

Christine...there are en suite rooms, because like you, I don't wanna share!
I come from a long line of "water-turner-oners" anyway!
But if one is on a tight budget and wants to be able to warm up their food, maybe even meet others who are doing the same.. its not a bad idea...
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:37 PM

i'm with christina. the 14th wouldn't bother me but 15 min to the metro would. not because i am afraid of walking (just look at my name!). i would rather be walking where i choose rather than having to add this time to every journey. i have lived/worked in the extremes of the 12th right at the metro. it was about 15-20 min to bastille and many of my metro journeys were about 45 min...i would not want to add 15 min to that.

i do like self catering because i enjoy cooking and one trip to a market in paris and you can't help but want to cook. of course i like the restaurants too but it's great to have the option.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

To quote Christina -- "but where in the 14th is this that you think it is so horrendous?"

Just so I don't get slammed by you, I very much like the 14th. My friend who stayed at this self catering hotel liked the fact that it was very "nontouristy" in the neighborhood of Rue Brancion near Parc G. Brassens. It is the fifteen minute walk and 20 minute metro ride that was a little less than ideal. Other than that, I would chose it.