Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotel in paris for mother and aunt visiting for "trip of a lifetime" special, and convenient to all the important sites for first time visitors

hotel in paris for mother and aunt visiting for "trip of a lifetime" special, and convenient to all the important sites for first time visitors

Aug 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
WG
Original Poster

My mother and aunt are visiting Paris for the first time - I am treating them - I am looking for a beautiful and classy hotel in great area for sight seeing, near important museums and things to see, and not exorbitantly expensive.... c'est possible, n'est-ce pas?
Aug 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM

I don't know your budget, but you may try :
Hotel D'abusson http://www.hoteldaubusson.com/
Not too expensive.
Aug 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM

What is your nightly budget? "Not exorbitantly expensive" means different things to different people. For us, it was under 80 Euros a night. For others, it's under 200 Euros a night. Please clarify.
Aug 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
WG
Original Poster

well, i think lets say under 300 euros to give the most options. thanks.
Aug 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Depending on the season, Hotel Cambon, a **** privately owned hotel at Place Concorde might fit your budget. This is the perfect area for English speaking visitors. Check out their web site. We love the place; near metro, Louvre etc. If your budget limits you to *** hotels then I suggest the 7th eme.
Aug 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
ira

t
Aug 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I have heard good things about the Hotel Madison and it seems to fit your budget. Also, I looked at the D'Aubusson website, and there are a few promotional prices for winter and summer.

Twer me, I would want my blowout to be in the area near either of the above hotels.
Aug 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I haven't stayed at either the Madison or d'Aubusson but have stoped in to survey the common areas and they are both very nice. Both also get good reviews. The d'Aubusson is less than a block from Pont Neuf so easy walking to Louvre, d'Orsay, Notre Dame, Latin Quarter. Rue Dauphin is also really alot of fun with busy sidewalk cafes and the daily food market on Rue Buci.
Aug 5th, 2007, 05:59 PM

The Madison is our favorite hotel in Paris. It's very conveniently located in the St-Germain area (right across from the church, in fact), and you can easily walk to any number of sights: the Louvre, the Cluny museum, Ste-Chapelle, the Conciergerie, even the Musée d'Orsay...not to mention all the shops and restaurants.

Tell your mother and aunt to ask for a twin-bedded corner room at the front; those rooms are quite a good size, with plenty of storage and good bathrooms.
Aug 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
GBC

We have visited the Madison and stayed at the D'Aubusson and I expect that we are somewhere near the age group of your mother and aunt. I think either would do nicely. If you are comfortable with the price of the D'Aubusson, it is hard to beat. It is a very nice hotel in an excellent location. On the other hand, the Madison is also fine, especially the rooms to which Underhill refers, and the difference in euros could be used to explore some other features of Paris. If these two ladies are not very accustomed to travel, a personal guide, especially for the first day or two might be a very good idea.
Aug 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM

My Mother in Law stayed at the Relais Du Louvre: www.relaisdulouvre.com

It was modest, but very affordable, located across from the Louvre, and as helpful and friendly as can be. It was her first trip abroad and she was traveling alone and they made her feel so comfortable. She said that she would absolutely stay their again the next time she is in Paris.
Aug 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM

We stayed at a more modest hotel than what you want (Prince Albert, 92 euro), but the location was the best for us: near Louvre, near Rue de Rivoli and Angelina, 3 minutes from Place de Concorde. So, I agree with Christie , we did not stay at Relais de Louvre, but it was near our hotel, and I think that for persons of the age of your mother this location is the best.
Aug 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM
WG
Original Poster

thank you for all these great recommendations - they all look wonderful - deciding on what'bank' to be on will be first order of business, then we can explore appropriate hotel recs....merci!