Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

seeing Pompeii and Amalfi/Ravello - best place to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of 4 want to visit Pompeii and the towns of Amalfi and Ravello. We have 3 nights (i.e. one full day for Pompeii and another for Amalfi/Ravello), and will be coming from Rome, afterwards going to Florence, so we need easy train access. Would it be better to stay in Naples (taking the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii and a ferry to Amalfi), or Salerno? If Salerno, what's the easiest way to get to Pompeii? How long is the boat ride from Naples to Amalfi? Would also appreciate a one-day itinerary for Amalfi/Ravello. Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Hi MD - Naples or Salerno? Personally I'd stay in Sorrento in preference to either of those. JMO ...

If easy train access is the deciding factor, Naples and Salerno are basically on a par. But Salerno is much easier for access to Amalfi (35 mins by ferry) and Ravello (20-30 mins by bus/taxi from Amalfi).

There is a hydrofoil service (- no ferry) from Naples to Amalfi in high season (- journey time: 1.5-2 hrs).
www.metrodelmare.com

Easiest way to get to Pompeii from Salerno is train to Pompeii F.S.
I believe Pompeii F.S station is about 2 km from Pompeii Scavi. Perhaps someone else can confirm this ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM

We stayed in Sorrento last May and loved it. Sure, it is touristy but that's ok by me. Lots of bars, restaurants and Limoncello shops. We found it a good base for Pompeii and all the surrounding towns. We had a day at Pompeii and found the train trip really easy from Sorrento.

Another day we caught the bus from Sorrento to Positano for a day trip and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Although we did accidentally catch the local school bus back to Sorrento. My HB nearly had a heart attack as he is a high school principal - v. funny to watch his reaction.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 02:25 AM

we did a daytrip from naples
i really like naples - even though it is seedy in places
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 05:34 AM
ira

HI md,

I suggest staying either in Positano, Praiano, Amalfi or Sorrento.

Sorrento is most convenient for Pompei Scavi and Naples.

There are buses connecting all of the towns and ferries that stop in Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Salerno.

We very much liked our stay at www.lesirene.com in Praiano.

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I'll have to take a second look at Sorrento.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Sorrento is a bigger town than those on the Amalfi Coast. But I found it quite pretty. It's set on a cliff overlooking the Gulf of Naples and is lush with volcano-ash-fed growth.

To get to the AC itself, you take the SITA bus or a ferry. I understand the buses get very full in high season. You could also take a tour bus. We did this; it included a short boat ride and stops at Ravello and Amalfi.

And it's only 20 minutes by hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri if you had another day.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM

I personally dont like Sorrento. Too busy, Vespas with no respect going way too fast.

Positano is a good pick.
It is calm and beautiful and is a great base for exploring the region.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM

We loved Sorrento - handy to everything and still with a flavor of its own. Some spectacular hotels-with-views. Easy to get to Pompeii one day, Amalfi etc. the next.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:25 AM

I disagree...
easy access to Amalfi and Ravello? Salerno is MUCH easier, IMHO (and, I don't know when this trip is...but the Sorrento option could lead to a travel mess to Amalfi and Ravello due to the road work between Positano and Amalfi) ...if you don't mind taking the bus from the train station, the Vietri area of Salerno is charming...or head to one of the towns closer to Amalfi...even staying IN Amalfi would be an option I would choose rather than Sorrento since the main things you want to get to are Amalfi/Ravello and Pompeii...believe there is also a direct bus from the train station in Salerno to Pompeii Scavi (haven't taken it, so maybe someone else can chime in). There is also a direct bus from Salerno to Paestum if you have the time.