Totally Confused about SWITZERLAND.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on visiting Switzerland, although I have been before, I remember it vaguely, so I'm treating this trip as my first.

I am travelling solo, and do not wish to rent a car. I am flying into Zurich and I need to finish my travels in a city with an airport from where I can fly to London.

The more I read, the more complicated this appears, small towns, day trips from Lucerne, Interlaken, etc.

I have a maximum of 7 days, I would like to visit Lucerne, Interlaken, and Zermatt.

My tentitive itierary is as follows:-

Day 1 Arrive Zurich

Day 2 Zurich to Lucerne by train in the early morning. Spend day in Lucerne.

Day 3 Lucerne to Interlaken. Not sure what to do for train trips from Interlaken and if this can be done the day I arrive.

Day 4 Train trip from Interlaken, rtn to Interlaken OR Interlaken to Zermatt.

Day 5 Zermatt

Day 6 and Day 7 haven't been worked out at this point, simply because I'm unsure where to finish the trip.

Would this cover the must sees in Switzerland?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Also, I know Switzerland is a costly destination, could fodorites who have visited Switzerland recently please let me know how prices compare to other European countries, I have been to France, Italy, Spain, Denmark and England recently. Do I need to prepare myself for sticker shock in Switzerland?

I am travelling solo, is it easy to travel by rail between the cities?

Could fodorites who have used the rail companies luggage forwarding service please share their experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Hi,
You need a whole week in Interlocken. Use Interlocken as a base, then you can take train to Younfrau, Grindwall, Mirren, each day trip and you can go to differnt trail and peak hiking, then spend some times in interlaken. Remember on Monday the ticket for interlaken curise is half price. I have a great time spend one whole week in Interlaken, then another week to Zermatt, St Moritz, form St Mortriz take train go through Bernia pass. It is totaly worth it. The price sticker is much higher than other European country. Probably the US price times two. A hamberger is aobut US$17-18. Lunch at least $25. Dinner US$35-50 easily. I try to go to grocery store buy fresh food to cover breakfast and lunch. Wish you have two weeks to go there. I had a great memory there, and would go back in a heart beat. Linda
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Hi SWilliams,

I'll try to respond to some of your questions.

First, the Swiss rail site is at

www.rail.ch

and it should give you all the information you need about schedules and fares. There is a train station in the basement of the Zürich airport, so your first departure will be, of course, "Zurich airport." You should be ok planning your first train trip at about 90 minutes after your flight touches down.

Your basic routing is fine, though I personally would spend a LOT more time in each place. You seem to be doing mostly a ride-the-trains trip with very little time with your feet on a mountain. I do love riding the trains (won't even consider driving in Switzerland) but would much rather have my feet on a mountain than be sitting inside a train.

For that reason, I think you should plan on at least one nice, gentle little Alpine stroll for your free day/s in the Jungfrau area. Unfortunately I usually ski in the area so can't give you any great suggestions. If you do a text search here, though, or wait for a few hours, I'm sure you'll get some good ideas for nice strolls.

Your one day in Zermatt also seems to me to be just stuck in there. I guess you are planning to see the Matterhorn on that day, but you may encounter bad weather for a few days or a week, and the Matterhorn may not be visible for some time --

Ok, to your questions. Yes, it is ultra-easy (and convenient and FUN) to travel by rail between the cities.

I've used the luggage forwarding service a lot in Switzerland with no problem. It costs 10 chf for 48-hour service or 20 chf for 24-hour service. But with as much moving as you're doing, I don't think your bags will catch up to you.

Hope this helps get you started!

s
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM

SWilliams,
Try to take a look of this link and take a look of their itinery
http://www.affordabletours.com/search/tours/17453/
Linda
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you tangobeauty and swanday2000.

I did look at tour itineraries and I feel that I'd rather travel by train in Switzerland.

I have a question about train stations, do they have left luggage? I doubt the luggage forwarding service will suit my needs.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Another suggestion is to go straight to Lucerne upon your arrival in Zurich. Now, I like Zurich, but given that your trip is short, I would skip Zurich. Plus, you don't have any time plugged into your schedule to see much of Zurich.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, artsbabe.

I was debating if I should just leave Zurich the day I arrive. I've been thinking about the itineary and I think I'll do Zurich - Lucern - Interlaken - Zermatt - St Moritz (or Chur) - Zurich.

Day 1 Arrive Zurich, depart for Lucern
Day 2 Lucern to Interlaken
Day 3 Interlaken take Jungfrau Bahn
Day 4 Interlaken to Zermatt
Day 5 Zermatt to St Mortiz (or Chur) on the Glacier Express
Day 6 St Moritz (or Chur) to Zurich
Day 7 depart Zurich

I can also do this in reverse, travelling to St Moritz (or Chur) first and then returning to Zurich from Lucern.

Do I need to book trains in advance. I will buy a Swiss Rail Pass for 5 or 6 days.

How can I book the Glacier Express and Jungfrau Bahn (which isn't covered by the pass but gives a discount with the pass) using my Swiss Rail pass?

I do appreciate any comments and suggestions. I'm not keen on hiking in the Alps, so I haven't left any time for that. I know that maybe against me, I am travelling in late May. However, I really don't have time to spend a few days in one or two places.

If I change the itinerary, I'd like to keep Interlaken, Lucern and Zermatt (hoping to see the Matterhorn) and I don't mind removing St Moritz (or Chur) from the itinerary.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Hi again,

No, I wasn't talking about hiking the Alps -- just spending some time on a mountain, on a gentle (GENTLE) trail so that you might remember something of your trip.

I do think your memories will be of hotel lobbies and train stations.

s
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Hi,

Recently I did a quick tour of Switzerland and Germany. In 12 days we visited 8 places, never staying in any one place more than 2 nights. While it was not much time in any one place it gave me the sights I wanted to see. It was a bit tiring but the train travel was relaxing (no driving, all trains).
I went from arriving in Frankfurt on Dec 15 2008 straight to Rothenburg Ob der Tauber, to Fussen, to Zurich, Zermatt, Grindelwald, Bern, Baden Baden and Heidelburg. The only places we stayed 2 nights were Rothenburg, Zermatt and Baden Baden.
All of the places had great sights. Grindelwald was excellent with the Eiger view above and the village below (looked like a train set with the train snaking through the hills side, especially at night time). The train ride (Jungfrauch ?) was worth the money since when we got to the top the weather was clear and we could see for many, many miles and felt like we were at the top of the world.
Bern had tons of nice places to see and if I go back I would use it as a base to explore a number of nearby places (Thun, Neuchatel, Lausanne).
Unfortunately I didn't make it to St. Moritz, maybe next time. (I left out the impressions on the German cities since the OP was talking about Switzerland).
Things are pricey but you can always visit some of the stores (COOP?) and get reasonable priced snacks, sodas, water. I enjoyed the various bakeries, not to mention the chocolate. Zurich didn't do much for me but I was there so briefly it is unfair to put much stock into that comment. Bern did impress me, one church there you could climb the steps (100+) in the tower and had a great view of the city.
Have fun,
Rich
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Sorry, but you say you don't have TIME to spend a few days in one or two places?? Isn't this a VACATION?

IMO, for this to make any sense, I would definitely limit it to only Lucerne, Interlake and Zermatt.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please don't do Zermatt AND St. Moritz on this trip. It's too much and you won't have time to enjoy the areas. Train rides get very boring after awhile.

My suggestion:
Day 1 Arrive Zurich, depart for Lucern
Day 2 Visit Lucerne and Pilatus or Titlis or Rigi
Day 3 Lucern to Interlaken. Visit Wengen or Schilthorn
Day 4 Interlaken take Jungfrau Bahn.
Day 5 Interlaken to Zermatt
Day 6 Zermatt to Zürich (evening train)
Day 7 depart Zurich
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the comments/suggestion.

swandav 2000, I misunderstood your suggestion for walking in the Alps, yes, a stroll in the Alps on a gentle incline would be nice.

The only reason why I had St Mortiz/Chur on the itinerary was because I was planning on travelling by the Glacier Express. Not sure if the train is worthwhile, and if I should just omit it from my plans.

I really need to sort out the details soon, if I skip the Galcier Express I don't think the Swiss Rail Pass will be a good investment.

I live in Canada and I am debating if I should buy a rail pass from Canada, or wait until I arrive in Switzerland.