Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seeing Edinburgh highlights in a short time

Jan 9th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

I am happy to say I will finally visit Edinburgh for the first time this coming May, but sorry already that I'll only have one afternoon (Sunday), a full day on Monday, and a few hours in the morning on Tuesday (I have a 1pm flight to London). I am a history buff. I will be staying centrally in Old Town.
Suggestions for a schedule to see some historical highlights would be appreciated.
thanks
Jan 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Walk down the Royal Mile from castle to palace and you'll cover 80% of the sights in one day

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/

Then that leaves the likes of the Royal Yacht Britannia, Rosslyn Chapel, National Galleries & Botanics which are a bit too spread out for you to cover more than 2 of them in the remaining time.
Jan 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks, are the Royal Mile venues open every day?
Also, how might I travel to Rosslyn Chapel?
Jan 9th, 2011, 07:15 PM

The Royal Mile is a street from the Castle (perched on a gigantic cliff) down through the oldest parts of the town(have a look at and in as many of the houses as you can - incredible) to Holyrood House.

We started in the park at the foot of the Castle and climbed up to get there - to get an idea of what it must have been like for armies attacking it, then toured the castle - incredibly moving and check the time of the guard changing, then walk down - having lunch at a restaurant on the way - and in the afternoon finish with Holrood. Be sure you ahve read all of the key stories - esp about Mary, Queen of Scots, before you go.
Jan 9th, 2011, 11:27 PM

http://www.rosslynchapel.org.uk/p/tr...ormation-I561/

The LRT Number 15 bus comes into Roslin seven days a week. The journey time is approx 30 mins. The Bus travels along Princes Street, up Lothian Road and then out through Bruntsfield.
Jan 10th, 2011, 12:33 AM

I'd allow one full day (Monday) for the Royal Mile/Old Town, and devote one half day (Sunday afternoon?) to the New Town (also interesting for history buffs, perhaps including the National Galleries if you have time).
Personally with such a short time in the city I wouldn't head out to Roslin, unless you are desperate to see the chapel. Instead, I would probably head to the National Museum of Scotland on Chambers Street (it's free of charge) for an hour or two on the Tuesday morning.
Jan 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM

I'm answering this elsewhere.

When are you coming Elaine?
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM

For some fun, on a street very near the royal mile is the pub Sandy Bell's. Stop there for a pint. It's best after nine when the musicians have their jam sessions of mostly folk music.