Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

See a show in London (w 9yo) when we have easy access to Bway at home?

Old Mar 14th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to London for 5 days in April and wondering, w our limited time there, if we should see a show while there? We live close to NYC and see many Broadway shows but haven't see Lion King yet. (We saw Matilda on Bway, so wouldn't choose to see that again). Is there something extra special about a London production? Should we make time for that? TIA!
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 05:36 AM

I certainly wouldn't go as a "check off" item of Top Ten Things to Do if you are not big theater enthusiasts. There is plenty to do in London for 5 days of great interest without ever going to the theater. But if it is something the family loves to do, and it would particularly thrill the 9 year old, why not? I'd consult with the 9 yr old.

(Something I really like to do whenever I can is go to the movies, which some people would consider a really odd way to spend time while traveling, but I've enjoyed it and seen the insides of some really unusual movie theaters. On the other hand, when I travel, I only very rarely go hiking or pick seaside destinations, because I've got that as my every day reality where I live.)
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 05:37 AM

Go and see something they don't have in NY, such as
http://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/events...aptains-orders
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 06:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Except for matinees, theatre is at night. Except for a few museums late openings, sightseeing is during the day. So the two are not mutually exclusive and don't interfere w/ each other.

So go to the theatre if you want - don't go if you don't want -- it won't impact other activities.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 06:54 AM

There are so many smaller productions in London, including dance and Shakespeare stuff, we don't book ahead and try to see some big BW kind of production. We look at what is available and decide at the moment, but we always see something. .
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:05 AM

I always have the same question living near NYC. My parents go to almost every Broadway show and also enjoy London theatre when they are there. I would say the top musicals like Lion King will be comparable so if you are looking for a unique experience you probably won't get that there. But also, there is not much to do at night after dinner so (unless your going to pubs/clubs) going to a show like Lion King could be worthwhile for you.

I'm taking my teen daughter to London in June and mom/gma insisted we check out the Globe Theatre - which is a replica of the original outdoor theatre from Shakespeare days. We decided to go for the experience but it may be a little boring for a 9 year old. If you don't want to sit through an entire play which can be long, they do offer tours on certain days:
http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/

Also, we've decided to see Mousetrap one night - which is apparently the oldest running play in London and therefore makes it cool to say we've been there! It's an Agatha Christie mystery so I think we will like it.
https://www.the-mousetrap.co.uk/Online/

I would just see what is playing and read up on reviews - if you're into the architecture - sort of like people come to NYC and want to see Carnegie Hall or the Met, I think other folks could give you better recommendations than I could (i.e. Palladium etc).

On another note, is your child a Harry Potter fan? I have tons of info on that if you're interested!
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:08 AM

Go and see The Railway Children. It's staged on a disused part of King's Cross station, where you sit either side of a railway platform. We got discounted tickets on the day from TKTS and had a whole row to ourselves. It's a good family production and includes the appearance of a full size steam train. The evening performance starts at 5.30, so won't interfere with sightseeing.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 07:50 AM

London shows can be a lot cheaper than those back home on Broadway and IME the theatre itself and the British theatre experience is worth it by itself - for discounted tickets check out the TKTS booth in Leicester Square which sells tickets for that day's shows that remain at a discount - obviously the blockbuster shows will not be available but again just going to the London Theatre IME is worth it regardless of the play (almost).
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 08:25 AM

I have a friend who gets a manicure wherever she goes. I can't understand what she gets out of that, but it's her vacation. I'm all for doing whatever you feel like on your holidays. Save the "must-dos" for work.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM

As PalenQ said, the shows are cheaper there. When we lived there, we often took our 5 yo to plays because there was no rating system for plays as there was for movies. No "R" rated plays. Of course, our child was well- behaved, and oftentimes when we sat in the front rows the actors would wave to her.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM

Why don't you see something that is not playing in NY like Billy Elliott which ended its NY run a while ago but is still playing in London at the Victoria Theater. We all loved Billy Elliott. The Lion King you can see at home back in NY.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 07:09 AM

I don't see a reason to do this with a kid unless you read about something you're sure he'd like. And i don't see a reason to see anything that originated in the US while you're in London.