London Theatre Recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling with 20-year-old and 14-year-old boys- their first trip to London and would like to take them to the theatre. I have been looking at reviews...Billy Elliot, Blood Brothers or a drama...Arcadia..Hamlet.

I would appreciate any reviews and/or suggestions as it is an expensive evening ..
Thank you.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM

It would matter to me who was playing Hamlet -- and if he would still be doing so by the time I arrived.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM

I would suggest the Globe Theater. Watch a Shakespeare play the way the bard had intented it. I don't know if Hamlet is on their schedule this year, but it would be worth checking it out.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
yk

I think it's Jude Law playing Hamlet.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM

My 18 yo and I enjoyed 39 Steps a lot last month. Brisk and funny. Discounted tickets were easy to find, so I hope it continues its run for awhile.

The Globe is great, of course, if you can go during the season, and you pretty much can't go wrong with choice of play there.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd pick Billy Elliot. Most 14-year-old boys I know wouldn't want to see Hamlet, but yours may be the exception! The Globe would be fun. 39 Steps would also be a good choice - it's funny and fast-paced. Les Mis is a classic and would be good also, I think. And there's always We Will Rock You, if they're into Queen or classic rock in general (I haven't seen it, so I don't know much beyond that).

I really did not care for Blood Brothers, but I think I'm one of a minority.

I'd ask the boys what appeals to them and try to make a group decision.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Hi Janie -

I've seen We Will Rock You, and I think it will definately appeal to your boys. It's a fun and very loud show, and Brian May, the guitarist from Queen, comes out on stage and plays his famous solo when the cast sings the title song. So, your boys will probably think it's a pretty cool show. I've seen the movie version of Billy Elliott, and I'm not sure it would really appeal to teenage boys. Blood Brothers is a very sad story, so I agree with passing on it. Have your boys go on to Londontown.com to see which of the shows appeals to them. Once you decide on a show, go on to theatremonkey.com to check the seating chart for the theatre and read the reviews of the best seats and which seats to avoid because railings and overhangs obstruct your view. Hope that helps, and have a fab time!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't book We Will Rock You expecting to see Brian May -- he only appears at special events -- like the yearly anniversary of the show's opening, to commemorate Freddie's death, etc. He is not a regular cast member.

As for what show(s) are best for your family -- what do you prefer. Big/famous musicals? Thought provoking dramas? Shakespeare? Is seeing a famous actor important? Comedy? Murder Mystery? Hard to make useful recommendations since there are so many shows running. What sorts of shows do you <i>think</i> you might enjoy?

Also - when booking a show several months out - understand that the casts change and the big name you thought would be headlining will very likely be gone
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Here's one to consider that got such good reviews and won so many awards on its premiere a couple of years ago that they brought it back. http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/warhorse. and also http://tinyurl.com/dd8gs3.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Hi again Janie -

I saw the show on May 7th, which as far as I wasn't a "special event", he is listed as being part of the music team for the show, and I have read reviews of the show by other people who said he was there, so I supsect that he appears more often than Janisj descibed, so don't let her disuade you from seeing the show if it's the one that your boys pick. It's worth seeing even if he's not there that night.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No one tried to "disuade" anybody. Definitely go see it if that is the sort of show you want. Per Brian's website -- he "keeps it casual" re appearances and doesn't have a set schedule.

He also shows up from time to time in various touring companies in the UK and around the world.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Well, I tell you what was great fun and rather good value and that's 'Hey Dolly' on at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. It's just opened and it's on until 12th September. It's such an idyllic venue and the musical is enormous fun. I would highly recommend it. Not 100% sure if the boys would like it - depends if they're open to singing and dancing. It's certainly a cheaper alternative to the West End and, in my opinion, that little bit more special.

Otherwise, the Globe is always fun. But seats are designed primarily for people under 5 feet tall (no legroom). Or, of course, you can stand. 'Wicked' is also fantastic. But I'm afraid I haven't seen the shows you mentioned, although I've heard great things about Law's Hamlet.