Reload this Page >

Second guessing myself about Naxos hotel choice

Notices

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, all my hotels are booked for our September trip to Greece. Hubby and I (youthful late-50s, early 60s couple) will be in Naxos for 4 nights.

I've booked at Hotel Galini, and I've been very pleased with the response to my emails -- quick and helpful. I like the fact that there is COFFEE and a nice breakfast, and I'm promised a room with a view. Since I'll be coming from Santorini, I wasn't as focused on view as a comfortable but budget hotel. I also looked at a lot of places.

Somehow, I missed Kalergis Studios - it looks like a lovely spot for 55 euros. Nice view! I'm really tempted to reserve here instead.

So please give me a reality check here -- my inclination is to stay exactly where I am, but there's a temptation to change and go for the place on the beach.

What would you do?

Paule
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

They both look nice. Going by their websites the rooms in Galini look slightly better. I love being close to the water as possible but what would concern me about Kalergis is its proximity to a very busy beach. I would stay with Galini especially if you have received positive vibes already. Check reviews for both hotels on www.tripadvisor.com. Also use the search facility in this forum for info on these hotels. I envy you - September on the Greek islands is beautiful!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
worldinbag, in September beach will not be busy. Kalergis is self-catering, so you'd have to go out & get your coffee & pastries & yogurt etc. I've only been in one unit there, on a top floor ... and they have seating & a kitchenette area in the front ofthe unit, opening on to the balcony... the Bed was behind a divider wall, by the entry door. The balcony is nice, but I felt the Bed area seemed darker & closed off.

I've often said Galini has best buffet breakfast on that beach. And the service is good and helpful, and last I knew, they had free internet access in the lobby... helpful, since Hotel Glaros closed down its internet room

About "a view" ... I would e-mail to get specifics... most of their room have "a view" over a field toward a little church on the water, NOT a view of the beach. I stayed there 2x and asked in vain for a beach view. This year I walked over there just out of curiosity ... they have just a few rooms on the beach end -- but it was my definite impression that those rooms were "locked up" in May, year after year, by returning N. Europeans. But in September, maybe not?? You might just prod the owner a bit, asking what the "view" in your reserved room looks out on.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback - I really liked the communication with Hotel Galini, and felt, as worldinabag wrote, "a positive vibe".
Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm promised a room with sea and sunset view, so here's hoping that one of those "locked up" rooms was made available.

My inclination is to stay exactly where I am, although I'm thinking that I might take your suggestion, Travelerjan, and write to the owner and ask him to clarify what the "view" is.

Many thanks! Less than 3 months to go!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK: remember, "sea view" not the same as "beach view". upper floor better than 1st floor. On this "Sky Map" neither of your hotels is named (because they didn't pay for inclusion) but Hotel Galini-Sophia L (joined buildings) are the Red & Blue roof directly next to Nissaki Beach Hotel. Kalergis is the Building just above the 2nd N of "Anthony Health Spa."

This is a very serene area of the beach -- Well-developed trees & shrubs so has a green feeling & although a car or taxi can reach the hotels (barely), these are narrow lanes, not through streets, so they are essentially pedestrianized. I know on the lane leading off of the Galini Hotel area, a shaggy white pet dog (looking rather like a dingy mop) lies right in the middle of the lane in front of Hotel Elizabeth all day long and is never disturbed.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoops! forgot the sky-map link! http://www.skymap.gr/?ElementId=59724&Category=0
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great map, travelerjan. Very helpful! It looks like I really can't lose either way.
Paule
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread will really come in handy when planning our trip to Greece next June........thank you for all of the information!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Progol.
We just returned from a week in Naxos. I was able to take a tour of Studio Kalergis and will have anew album up of photos of the property but first I have to answer about 800 e mails for work.
Kalergis certainly has a better location than Galini being right at the beach. There is a good view from the rooms certainly far superior than anything Galini has. But as Jan says it is a self cate4ring hotel so you will need to buy some coffee and cream and make your own cup, then spend a half hour on your balcony drinking coffee and watching the beach and the sea.
If breakfast is a priority and view is not then Galini continues to be a good choice. I would choose Kalergis though.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Stanbr! Just this weekend, I reserved with Kalergis for my dates -- decided that coffee could wait till we got outside. Since breakfast really isn't that important, view won the day. I like the idea of making my own coffee, too.

My only regret is that the folks at Galini were SO nice and responsive in the emails, and it gave me a good feeling. But it is my vacation, and I didn't feel THAT bad that I have to keep the reservation.

Paule
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have stayed at the Hotel Galini. The family that runs it is great, very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is good too. It's a decent property at that low price point.

My one problem, though, was the "sea view" we were promised was actually a view of a parking lot (and we were on the ground floor with people standing around right outside our window). If you leaned out the window and twisted your head, you might see a sliver of blue. But it was a stretch to call it a "sea view" imho.

It wasn't that big a deal to us b/c our other hotels in Mykonos and especially Santorini had killer views, but I probably would have upgraded to another hotel that was actually on the beach if I had seen a photo of the "sea view" ahead of time.