Naxos-Asteria Hotel or Kalergis Studios?

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naxos-Asteria Hotel or Kalergis Studios?

Both Asteria Hotel and Kalergis Studios have availability for my needed dates in June. The rates are similar so that’s not an issue, Asteria 60E, Kalergis 55E. Both say they are ON the beach, although I can't locate specifically where Kalergis is. I'm considering Kalergis because it has a kitchenette, but location is important as well. We don’t mind being down at the end of the beach if that gives us a more open view of the ocean from our room. From looking at pictures, it seems some hotels are behind a big grouping of trees. Asteria has a 2nd story room with balcony available. Kalergis has a large veranda, I believe on the first floor. But from their pictures the trees don’t seem to be in the way. Can anyone give me any insight as to where Kalergis is in relation to other more clearly defined hotels, like maybe which one is next door? There aren’t a lot of reviews on either of these; even less on Kalergis (although in their email they said they have just gone through some renovations and improvements). Any input from those who have experience in Naxos is appreciated.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM

I am not sure what website you have consulted L2S, because this one shows clearly that Kalergis is DIRECTLLY on the sand.
http://www.naxos-saintgeorgebeach.co...gis/index.html

What is it you are asking? That a branch of a tree shouldn't be in front of your window?

As far as I can recall it is about 100-200 feet farther from town than Asteria.
Here is a live webcam of St. George beach. http://www.naxosisland.eu/

Look at it at mid-day to 5pm Greek time (7am-noon Eastern time). Maybe you can get a better picture of the beach. Relax. It will be fine.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM

I have gone all through the first few pages of Google and cannot find a map location of Kalergis.
It is clearly right on St George beach.
Unfortunately despite 5 trips to Naxos I simply cannot recall seeing Kalergis.
From the pictures in their website I can see a boardwalk and a stone wall. This looks identical to what is in front of Asteria. So I think. Jan is correct Kalgeris must be very close to Asteria.
The one thing I can make out in the pictures is the trees in front of Kalergis are palms and the ones in front of Asteria are much more leafy so then the kitchenette and the less obtrusive trees might suggest that Kalergis may is your best bet.
Their web site says it is only 250 meters from the square so it has to be placed exactly where they say it is, right in the middle of St George beach. You simply can't do any better than that.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM

I stayed at Asteria a few years ago and it was great. Everyone there was very friendly, the rooms were clean and comfortable. Nice little balcony too. I don't remember seeing Kalergis.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Travelerjan - I am aware that they are both on the beach; my question was “where” on the beach. Sorry if that was unclear to you. And yes, I was asking if there could be any trees in front of my room, not a branch....but a tree blocking my view of the ocean. Does that seem like an odd question? My concerns are that if there are bigger leafy trees, then the 2nd story room might be my best option if I can see over them. If there are a few palms, then I might prefer a 1st story room. From those pictures, it looks like some of the rooms could be behind the bigger trees on the right but then that might be a whole other hotel..I don’t know, that’s why I asked if anyone knew about this hotel or its location. I’m sure I can relax and just go wing it, but why would I want to when I can try getting a more desirable location by asking a few questions on here?

Stanbr - glad to see that you understood what I was asking about with the trees and all. I think we’d prefer having the kitchenette so I think we’ll go for it. Thanks, I really appreciate your input and advice.

Spinch - thanks for the review of Asteria, glad to know you enjoyed it. I will certainly check it out when I'm there for comparison.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM

When you get back write us a note and tell exactly where the hotel is and how you liked it.

By the way since you will have a kitchen you will need to find a grocery store. There are several mini markets including Zoom right behind the Asteria however they are a tad expensive and have little choice. If you can find Porto Naxos hotel which is on the main road to the airport you will find a brand new supermarket right across the road. It should be no more than a 10 minute walk from your hotel. It has the best prices and choices.
While you are on Naxos be sure to try Kitron. It is the local liqueur and it is surprisingly good.
Also look for the bakery in the old market part of Naxos town. It uses a wood fired oven and it has just the best bread ever.
Here are some pictures of Naxos.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

All this talk of fresh bread and drink while I'm sitting here starving...it sounds wonderful! What is Kitron made from?

Thanks for the shopping tips, I will add this to my list of notes to take with me.

Looking at your pictures now...
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM

Kitron is a distilled liquor made from the leaves of a fruit tree. It produces a fruit that looks like a large orange. As for as I know the fruit is not used for anything. I am not aware of the tree growing anyplace else but Naxos. I do not believe Kitron is made anyplace else. Be sure to leave enough room in your bags to bring a bottle home. I have about a quarter of a bottle left from our last visit in 2006 and I ration it out for evenings when I miss Greece.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:19 AM

We had a great view from Asteria- no trees blocking it-
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Spinch - were you on the first or second floor?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM

We were on the second floor. The room was small, but clean and comfortable. There were two little old ladies that sat in the lobby(separately) all day long every day and would smile and say hello in Greek. The owner gave us a bottle of Kitron when we left. They were very nice people.