Scuol apartment location

Search

Scuol apartment location

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2018, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Scuol apartment location

Looking for insights to help me decide on a Scuol apartment location (for a week next year in June)
For a small town, it seems quite spread out, and being on a hillside, I want to choose locations well. So, avoiding lugging our groceries uphill for example, made me look at options such as near the Porta bus stop and in the south west edge of town. Hotels seem clustered in what I guess is desirable 'tourist central' for restaurants and the spa, but we expect to mostly self cater and head to walking trails or the bus and train station. Then I found a loft near the edge of town by the road to Sent. Likely that would be a longer, but flatter, walk to station and shops. And I got really confused. Maybe it doesn't really matter and I'm overthinking this, if it is all within a 10 minute easy walk I'm ok with any location.
( I previously booked an apartment in Ortisei that had wonderful views, but really made me curse the steep uphill walk with our shopping..)
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Coop grocery store (bakeries, butcher etc) is (are) on the main street right between upper and lower old parts Scuol. There are several rental apartments available in beautiful old Engadine houses right above that street and also close to Bogn Engiadina right below. I'd try to book one of those. "Edge of town by the road to Sent" sounds like a considerable uphill walk.
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Good to know, thank you
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Adelaidean -

Any reference to Upper Scuol usually means a steep uphill hike from the main center of town. The apartment we always book is in Upper Scuol and it's a bit of a pain to get to, especially in winter when its icy, but we like the apartment.

I agree with Ingo, look for something in Lower Scuol. From there you can walk or take a bus to the bus/train station.

This map might help:
https://www.maps-streetview.com/Swit...elliteview.php
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 01:13 PM

Or maybe not, you can't see the hills on that map!
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mel,

I just saw your NZ photos on flickr this morning! Back to Mt Difficulty winery, I see, lucky you.

I am leaning toward an apartment on Stradun, by the La Terrasse bar/ restaurant. I figured it was a more level walk to and from the station and close to Coop and restaurants.
My other options were nearer but below the gondola station on via Staziun and a couple near the Porta bus stop in the lower town. These look to be in lovely Engadiner buildings, but maybe a bit far, what do you think?

I will do a Sat to Sat booking, so that maximises my choices, and we are just before their peak summer season.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 05:06 AM

Enter the address in https://map.search.ch/
You will then see where exactly the flat/house is situated.
Open then the official map of Switzerland, go to Scuol and zoom until you see the house you are interested in and how many meters you will have to go up or down.http://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 06:51 AM

Adelaidean -

Yes, no trip to NZ would be complete without Mt Difficulty! I'm slowly plugging away on the photos and trip report - long way to go yet.

I think the apartment on Stradun, by the La Terrasse bar/ restaurant is a good option. It might be noisy though, on the main drag like that. But flat, so a trade off (and Scuol isn't exactly a party town, lol).

I like the Lower Scuol area, near Hotel Gabriel - a bit more hilly, but nothing compared to Upper Scuol, and U suspect quieter than Stradun.

That little church that looks so innocuous? HUGE climb to get to!
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Right on Stradun would be noisy (traffic). And Porta bus stop is indeed at the lowest level of Lower Scuol

What about these?
https://www.e-domizil.com/vacation-h...personen-41m2/
https://www.e-domizil.com/vacation-h...e-switzerland/
https://www.e-domizil.com/vacation-h...e-switzerland/
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
I am plugging away at e domizil, hadn't yet seen 2 of those, Ingo, they look good.
Neckervd, good links, have been using that topography hiking map.
Mel, am heading to Andamooka and Coober Pedy on the weekend, there'll be no mountains or forests in my next batch of photos

Old Jun 12th, 2018, 02:35 PM

Adelaidean - or wineries! At least it shouldn't be too hot this time of year. Have you tried the Greek restaurant in Coober (assuming its still there)? We really liked it, but its been ages.

In addition to her apartment (the one in Upper Scuol you have to climb to), the woman we rent from manages several others (Verena). Here's her site - you might find it useful (and potentially less expensive than E-Domizil). You'll have to run it through a translation program - but she speaks English and answers her e-mail promptly.

https://verenaerni.jimdo.com/vermieten/
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 05:29 PM
kja

I've nothing useful to add, Adelaidean -- just noting my envy. Enjoy your time in the area!
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 10:14 PM

Hey All (and Ingo, so nice to see you posting again; seems like it's been a while since we've seen you here!!),

When I stayed in Scuol, I stayed at the 2-star Hotel Gabriel, on Ingo's recommendation, and I really loved the hotel. However, I did not love the location..... Yes, the lower part of town is really, really lovely, with the old buildings and tangled alleys. But every time I went for an excursion or to get a bite to eat or even to find an ATM, I had to climb up to the middle section of town. I resolved that for any future trip, I would stay in the middle section, where everything is located.

Sorry I can't help you more! Have fun as you research these!!

s
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that link, Mel, I would not have found that site, will have a more thorough look tonight.

Swandav, any personal experience is helpful! We were wondering exactly that.

Kja, am guessing it's not my Andamooka trip you are referring to I remember your reassurance that we will love the lower Engadin as we did the Upper (but just in case, I am returning to Sils Maria, my idea of heaven is walking from Sils Maria to Maloja along the lake via Isola and lunching on Rösti).
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

And my German is passable, Mel, so ok for reading that website, thanks again.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 05:38 PM
kja

Adelaidean, if you don't enjoy the lower Engadine, I admit that I simply don't want to hear it. I still dream of those vistas -- not to mention the food! Don't get me started....