Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland trip - Glasgow, Edinburgh, and ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm trying to convince a friend to accompany me on a trip to Scotland in the fall. I discovered some cheap flights from my city directly to Glasgow, and I want to take advantage of them.

Here's the thing: Neither of us drive, so we'd be relying on public transport. This being the case, we'd stick to some major cities and maybe do a few day trips here and there, if we can find them.

Right now, my thinking is that we'd have 8 full nights - so we could break that down into 2 or 3 in Glasgow, 3 or 4 in Edinburgh and 2 or 3 in another city. That's where some help would be appreciated. I'd like to get some suggestions on a third city, not TOO far from both Glasgow and Edinburgh (say within an uncomplicated 3 hour bus ride), that would be nice to spend 2 or 3 nights in.

We love nightlife, and just wandering around a city, getting a feel for it, feeling its buzz, taking things slowly, seeing some culturally touristy things, like museums and other historical sites. Hopefully what I'm asking for is indeed possible.

Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM

sounds like you're looking for another Glasgow or Edinburgh and there aren't any more in Scotland. York, England, 2 hrs south may fill the bill, kind of.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

I think a train ride up to Stirling or St. Andrews would be perfect.
Also, there are many tour operators that run short tours up to the highlands from Edinburgh.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM

St Andrews and Stirling are great day trips from Edinburgh or Glasgow - i think St Andrews may fit your bill for some nightlife - a lively university town and the golf crowd too. not sure there's much to do in the area but perhaps - could be a relaxing few day stay though is little over hour from Edinburgh by train (train to Leuchers then bus to city centre about five miles away) - nice seaside old town.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
LJ

What about Aberdeen? It has a lot to offer and a very different "feel" from that of Ed/Glasgow-it is easily accessed by train and has a good transport system once you get there and interesting side trips.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM

Speaking as an (adoptive) Aberdonian, I was thinking York. Or Newcastle.

But if it were me, I would definitely take a mini bus tour to somewhere interesting. You're young, right?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
nbujic

8 nights is 7 days, so you could spend 2 in Glasgow and 5 in Edinburgh ( a lot to see there) with side trips from Edin. suggested by PalenQ.
A very good bus service , we used it a lot.

Old May 24th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice - it's much appreciated. Everything you've suggested sounds like it would be fine - we're not too picky anyway. And yes, sheila, we're young (mid-twenties).

I shall investigate these options further! Turns out we might be able to extend it a few days as well, so that'd be nice.