Scotland Itinerary

Search

Scotland Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Itinerary

A friend is getting married in Moffat next May and advises that we fly into either the Glasgow or Edinburgh airport. It is a small town and I still haven't figured out exactly where it is but I think it is south of Glasgow, any advice as to which airport to fly into? Also, while we are there, we first want to visit St. Andrew's...how much time should I allow? Perhaps I should fly into and out of Edinburgh since we want to do St. Andrew's too? I would love any advice..obviously I'm in the very first planning stages!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:40 AM

ttt
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Look on any map of Scotland and you can find Moffat - It is on the A74 (the main highway through southern Scotland) about 50 miles south of Glasgow and Edinburgh. It really doesn't matter which airport you choose - Moffat is a faster drive from Glasgow airport, but Edinburgh airport is much closer to St Andrews.

If it were me (and the airfares were about the same) I'd fly into/out of Edinburgh. You could see Edinburgh (Glasgow is a great city but Edinburgh has more to offer the first time visitor) and drive up to St Andrews, before traveling back down through te borders to Moffat.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM

It is closer to Glasgow or even Prestwick, but, as soon as you throw St Andrews into the equation, the answer is Edinburgh.

Where are you staying? It is a lovely town.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Sheila-

I would welcome lodging suggestions in Moffat. We've been provided a laundry list of a variety of accomomdations from B & B to outright house rentals. We will be in Moffat from May 19 - 26.
We tend to be partial to Bed and Breakfasts, but a week long house rental is appealing as well.

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:16 AM

If it was me, and it was for a week, I'd self cater, for sure.

I've never stayed there other thn one night in the Black Bull, which was perfectly OK. but I'll have a scour round, if you like. How many are you?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM

If you actually want to stay in Moffat look at this place www.lazydays-at-moffat.co.uk/

it is homey but definitely not fancy - there are several photos on the website to give you an good idea. In May (unless it is the Bank Holiday week) the rent is about £250 for a week.

www.uniquescotland.com/rivercottage/ is a cute little place about 10 miles from Moffat and is even cheaper than the one above.

the National Trust for Scotland rents a wonderful cottage in Ecclefechan - but that is about 20 miles from Moffat.

Moffat would be a good base to tour Dmfries & Galloway and the Borders.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:06 PM

oops - left this one off www.uniquescotland.com/plantation/index.html

It is even closer to Moffat than the other uniquescotland property . . . . .