Search

Scotland Tours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Tours

Help! Trying to decide between going on my own with 15 yr old daughter to Stirling,St Andrews etc. or going on a tour. We will be in Edinburgh late Feb. and I am wondering if the trip to Loch Lomond will be a long ride for little enjoyment
at that time of year, or will it be better to not fight train schedules,weather and just join the tours? Any thoughts,shared past experiences will be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are many good day tours - fewer in Feb than in the summer but still several to choose from. Edinburgh has a wonderful Tourist Information Center at Waverly bridge. They will have all the information. I'd just wait until I was there to decide - weather, what else you find to do in the city and other issues could affect what you want to do/when.

St Andrews is VERY doable on your own - train to Leuchars and a short bus ride from there.

Same w/ Stirling. Very quick train ride from Edinburgh. Going on your own means you can stay as long as you want w/o being rushed. Going on a tour gives you the chance to see more, but it would be more rushed and you will be at the mercy of the tour schedule.

For Stirling for sure I'd do it on my own. For St. Andrews I'd probably also do it independently - but could be talked into an organized tour if it allowd more than a couple of hours in St Andrews and included visits to some of the fishing villages (which you can't get to by train)

Loch Lomond isn't really a &quot;been there, seen that&quot; sort of place. It is for driving along the shore, walking, stopping where you want. Just driving to Loch Lomond isn't my idea of a good use of time. But if the day tour includes driving through the Trossachs it <i>might</i> be a good idea.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:10 AM

We went three years ago and arranged for everything on our own. I managed to get my son and husband on St. Andrews and then built our trip around that. We stayed in Edinburgh for 2 days and took a day trip all through Scotland (we went just about everywhere). The tour included an hour cruise on Loch Ness. I didn't spot Nessie, though. The entire trip took about 12 hours, but was very enjoyable. We then went to a small town near St. Andrews called Elie. Then back to Edinburgh for two days. You should be able to plan everything pretty easily.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:08 PM

&quot;<i>we went just about everywhere</i>&quot; on a [<b>one</b>] day trip &quot;all through Scotland&quot; -- all I can say is OMG!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM

Jean - We were there 5 years ago for a couple of weeks. We did it all on our own, but it was during the summer and I eventually got the hang of driving on the &quot;wrong&quot; side of the road. St. Andrews and Stirling are wonderful, as is Inverness (one of our other home bases was in a converted hunting lodge outside Inverness). The Highlands are wonderful, and Janis has it right about doing Loch Lommond (or Loch Ness for that matter) - visits to the lochs are really intended to transport you to a place (and time), not a &quot;thing to do&quot; - and centainly not a thing to do in February when it will be dark in the mid-afternoon. If I were you (and your daughter), I'd focus on Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Stirlling and maybe Dumferline (sp?), and it's altogether possible that a tour company could provide you the best &quot;deal&quot; for everything outside Edinburgh.

I don't think you can &quot;do&quot; all of Scotland except for Edinburgh in one day - I wouldn't even think of trying.

KC
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Do it on your own. With our help, how can you go wrong?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good advice. We have decided to go it alone and enjoy our own pace. Of course I have one more question,would we, as non-rugby fans, be wise to plan some time out of Edinburgh during the weekend games of 2/24-2/26?
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 03:23 AM

For information about Stirling take a look at our website : www.kilronan.co.uk

This has useful links including a link to plan any rail journeys you might wish to make.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Scotland is playing England in the Calcutta Cup on the 25th at Murrayfield in Edinburgh. I would avoid the town centre from 11am till midnight on the 25th. The Old Town wil be OK- except possibly the Grassmarket.

Or get tickets and join in!!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM

My wife and I have been paying attention to the discussion here as we are planning a trip to Stirling in July. With a week to spend, can anyone suggest accommodations near Stirling[prefer b and b's] but not priority. We too have thought of including tours of St, Andrews and Loch Ness. Would we be better off driving our own car? Our intinerary includes a flight into London to visit friends in Dover, spend a few days with them before starting our week from Edinburgh thru Scotland and flying out of Glasgow. Do you suggest more time? Thanks Dennis
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Wrap up warm - very warm!!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:35 AM

dp1206: happihibee is teasing you (I hope). You are going in <u>July</u>

But I suggest you start a new thread w/ your own questions. You have topped a thread that is more than 2 years old and some of your issues are different.

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM

I don't think you can do all of Scotland in 12 hours. To the poster, How did you enjoy Mull, Skye, Orkney, Islay and, well, all of the many other places? I am leaving on February 17 and sure would like to know how to see &quot;all of Scotland&quot; in 12 hours.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:08 AM

rogeruktm - that post was from <b>2006</b>.

db1206 topped an old, moldy thread and isn't considering a 12 hour blitz. I did suggest he start a new thread so we don't muddy the waters w/ these old posts . . . .
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Thanks Janis, I normally look for dates but failed to do so this time.In any event, I am looking forward to my up coming England trip
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks all, I will start a new topic. Still looking for answers from you.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 05:53 AM

roger- I'm pretty the 12 hour trip they were referring to is the same one I took late time I was there. It's with a coach company based on the Royal Mile called Scotline. www.scotlinetours.co.uk I went on the Loch Ness Adventure and loved it. They take you across the country and you stop at Glencoe. Continue on to Fort William and go north to Loch Ness and stop at Urquhart Castle. Continue on to Inverness and head east and then back south to Edinburgh. It is all day long and you see most of Scotland from a bus, but I loved it! It was probably my favorite day of my entire trip to London and Edinburgh