5 day tript to Scotland

Aug 10th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

5 day tript to Scotland

I am planning to take a tript to Scotland this September. Driving is not an option so I will have to rely on public transport. The itinerary is:

Day1-Birmingham to Edinburgh by train-local sightseeing at Edinburgh
Day2 & 3-take a 2 day trip to Lochness and Inverness-stay in Inverness for a night on Day 2-return to Edinburgh on Day 3
Day 4-Take a day trip to central Highlands, waterfalls in Birnam forest, Pitlochry, the Queen's View and Loch Tay
Day 5- Haven't planned yet-open to suggestions-retutn to Birmingham at night by train

I am looking for suggestions on the itinerary. Also advice on good and reasonable B&B options in both Edinburgh and Inverness would be much appreciated. The B&B should be at max a 15-20 minutes walk from Edinburgh City centre.

And also some advice on the best day tour deals. I am new to Uk and this is my first trip. So I am open to any advice on the trip.

Regards,

Aditya
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Aditya

Have just got back from a week touring Scotland - staying in a different place every night. Inverness was the only place that really disappointed us, there really was nothing we liked about it. We did stay in Dores on the quiet side of Loch Ness and enjoyed it but you are not giving yourself much time in Ediburgh, which we loved and have been to a few times now. For suggestions on good B&Bs I always use Tripadvisor and each of the 3 B&Bs we stayed in on this trip were excellent.
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM

I rented an apartment in Edinburgh though most are 3 days or more, I found mine through trip advisor.

In terms of things to do in the city I loved the Adam Lyall ghost tour and this free walking tour meets in the middle of the Royal Mile and was fantastic http://www.newedinburghtours.com/
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM

So the only time you have in Edinburgh is a half day when you arrive and your last day before you get the night train? That last day will partly be used up by checking out, storing and retrieving your luggage. That's not much for such an interesting city.

Do you have a special interest in Inverness and Loch Ness? Because I'd consider skipping that. Maybe replace it by a daytrip to St. Andrews (train to Leuchars, bus to St. Andrews) or possibly Stirling. That would give you another full day in Edinburgh.
Aug 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Your trip to Loch Ness and Inverness ( ) will travel through almost exactly the same area as your trip to Pitlochry. Seems a real shame to spend fully half of your free time traveling to and staying in places like Inverness( ) and Pitlochry.

Why did you pick those specific areas? Was it just because you've heard of Loch Ness and figured it must be THE place to go?

If it was me (but it isn't) I'd spend more time in Edinburgh, take a day trip to someplace like St Andrews on my own, and another day (not overnight) guided tour either to the Highlands or the Trossachs/Loch Lomond.

Check Rabbies and timberbush for tours.

http://www.rabbies.com/
http://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/

re a B&B- what is your budget?
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

tjhome1,janisj, Mimar, Astronaut2011 thanks for your replies. Its true that I decided about Loch ness and overnight stay at Inverness based on suggestions everywhere that these are the main places to visit in Scotland. I am ready to change that. So the itinerary can be:

Day1-Birmingham to Edinburgh by train-local sightseeing at Edinburgh
Day2 - Local sightseeing in Edinburgh
Day3- take a day trip to Highlands or Trossachs/Loch Lomond
Day4-Take a day trip to St Andrews
Day 5- Haven't planned yet-open to suggestions-retutn to Birmingham at night by train
Now I need to know which one is better the Highlands or the Trossachs? I am more intrested in places of great natural beauty than castles and forts.

Also I am intrested in visiting the Whiskey distilleries in Scotland. Is there a way to fit that in my schedule?
Aug 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Have you looked at any of the tours offered by Rabbies or Timberbush? Have a look at janisj's websites. I ask because several of their tours meet your requirments. Both the Trossachs/Loch Lomond and the Highlands are wonderful, but I'd choose the Highlands. Both of the Rabbies tours, Loch Lomond/Trossachs and Highlands/ Glens /Distillery offer visits to a distillery. Also the day trip to St. Andrews includes the fishing villages of East Neuk.

Definitely stay in Edinburgh and take day trips from there.
Aug 11th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

@ tjhome1- Can you give me the name of the B&B you have stayed in Edinburgh?

@historytraveler-I have gone through the tours of both and I think I will go with Timberbush
Original Poster

@historytraveler-I have gone through the tours of both and I think I will go with Timberbush
Original Poster

Original Poster

Aug 11th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the multiple posts..I pressed the Submit button too many times