Day Trip from Edinburgh to Loch Ness and Culloden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Edinburgh for a week in June and am very interested in seeing both Loch Ness and Culloden during my trip. I would prefer to visit those places on my own versus taking a guided tour (no day trips cover both anyhow).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get to both places in the same day while leaving from and returning to Edinburgh?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - Loch Ness is just SW of Inverness and Culloden is just east of Inverness. So from Inverness both are VERY close by. But Edinburgh is more than 150 miles away and a good 3.5 or 4 hour drive by car or bus.

You could take a train to Inverness and then different local buses back and forth to both sites - but it would be a pretty scattered day. And really, the only scenic bits of Loch Ness are Urquhart Castle and a cruise on the loch. It would be pretty difficult to work out public transport to Urquhart, a cruise, Culloden and back to edinburgh. Why not just spend a full day/night up north instead of trying to do it as a day trip? BTW Loch Ness is far (very far) from the lovliest loch in Scotland

(I can't believe I'm actually recommending someone stay IN Inverness - but in this case it makes sense)
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice. I've decided to stay in Inverness overnight and visit Loch Ness (can't help it, I just find the legend fascinating, possible or not) and Culloden Moor Battlefield.