Search

Scotland Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Itinerary

Hi,
I am planning a 5-day trip to Scotland for next weekend. Having been to the big cities(EDI, GLA, STI,) I thought of trying to visit less touristic heritage sights of the north-west but I am bit confused on where shall I put my overnight stops. Could the experts please help me with the following itinerary:

Day 1: Newcastle - Border Abbeys - Callander or Abeyfoyle for overnight(or further up).
Day 2: Iveraray(jail/castle) - Oban(Mc Gaid Tower) - Dustafnagge Castle - Hollow Mountain(power station) - Glencoe - Fort William (for overnight - open to suggestions for other place)

Day 3: Road to the Isles - Mallaig - Skye - overnight suggestion)?

Day 4: Drive to John O'Groats. Which is the best way? Is there anything to visit on this route? Overnight somewhere south of inverness(any suggestion?)

Day 5: Crathes Castle - St Andrews - Falkland Palace

In principle we are intersted in history and for accomodation we would prefer B&Bs in atmospheric(probably touristic) villages. No kids so long driving possible.

Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
essentially you are trying to drive the entire circumference of central/north Scotland. Next to an insane itinerary IMHO.

Your days are:
1) Newcastle > the Trossachs via the Border Abbeys
2) Trossachs to Ft William via Oban
3) Ft William > Skye
4) Skye > south of Inverness via John o'Groats
5) Inverness > Newcastle via via Fife

Day 3 make sense. And day 2 is russhed but doable. The rest are next to impossible. Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive from Skye to John O'Groats to south of Inverness????

Knock John O'Groats and the far north off the itinerary and it would be doable in 5 days - just.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I wouldn't necessarily express it QUITE the way janis did, but esentially you shouldn't try to do that.

Are you in Newcastle anyway? (your starting point will inform my advice- she said, pompously)
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM

very problematic itinerary. For example

Day 1 Do you plan to stop at any of the Border Abbeys? There are four and three are certainly worth visiting.

Day 2 A bit hectic

Day 3 That's okay

Day 4 Can I ask why John O'Groats? Unless one is planning to visit Orkney, John O' Groats is,IMO,not worth the trip.

I think a visit to a map website to check milage, routes and especially times would be helpful.

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Oh, to add to the insanity - you also need to factor in that on Skye to some extent, and in the north for sure, much of your route will be single tracks??
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I may have to revisit the plan. I will set off early form newcastle and need to return at the end on day 5. The initial idea was to cover the are between the trossachs and the North Highlands. Is there any suggestion on what to see in this vast area? As I said before history and generally heritage is our motive for this trip
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM

A sincere bit of advice. Please don't try to see all of Scotland in five days. The place is rich in history and culture and any one area could keep you busy for the five days. With your present plan, I'm afraid you'll miss the history/heritage.

Do visit a map site. I like aaroadwatch.ie But there are others.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Having had further thoughts we decided to drop the trip to John'O Groats
Reviewed plan:
Day 1: Jedburgh/Dryburgh Abbey/Wallace Monument, overnight at Abeyfoyle
Day 2. Iveraray(jail/castle) - Oban(Mc Gaid Tower) - Dustafnagge Castle - - Glencoe- armadale
Day 3: Isle of Skye(open for suggestions for sighteseing & overnight)
Day 4: Urquhart Castle, Crathes Castle,
Day 5: St Andrews - Falkland Palace

please advice on the feasibility of the plan and on any additions
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM

It's till too long. It really is. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but it REALLY is.

If you have no "must sees" then do this:-

Days 1 and 2 Borders:

Day 3: Trossachs

Day 4: Highland Perthshire

Day 5: St Andrews - Falkland Palace

You will enjoy it much more, honest.

If you have "must sees" tell us what they are, and we'll make a different recommendation
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:44 AM

Sheila's suggestion is really good. 2 days in the Borders is good. Just flying through the Borders w/ stops at Dryburgh and Jedburgh is a shame. Dryburgh is practically a neighbor to Melrose (less than 5 miles apart) Plus places like Traquair House, Floors Castle/Kelso Abbey and sooo much more.

Then on to Stirling Castle/Wallace Monument and Aberfoyle. Also - if you have time visit Doune Castle and Inchmahome Priory, both near Stirling/Aberfoyle.

Then up into Perthshire - lots of choices where specifically.

Then a day for St Andrews, the fishing villages and Falkland Palace/Gardens.

Even this is a rushed itinerary - but doable in 5 days.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

It is my 5th time in Scotland(in as many years) and I am thinking of covering the previously missed sites. I have seen Melrose, Traquair and Stirling castle before but I had missed Wallace monument. I am thinking of driving in the evening to inveraray (1st overnight) to allow more time for day 2. I have realised that I may not be able to catch the last ferry from mallaig. Shall I sleep there and get the morning or there is an alternative?

Sheila:
In this trip I would like to see the histotical sites oh: Skye, St Andrews, the Trossachs(without Stirling).

many thanks for your responses
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:00 AM

OK - skip Stirling Castle and Melrose . . .

But still Invereray, Skye, the Trossachs and St Andrews is too much in your short time. Since you live so near Scotland - I'd do it more sensibly. Pick an area you REALLY want to see. For this trip either the Borders and Fife -- OR -- Argyll and Skye -- OR -- the Trossachs and Fife. Something like that. Then another time pick another area and concentrate there.

But to rush helter skelter around the entire country just to tick things off a list - not reasonable IMHO.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Then I will skip Fife and the border stops. First night at inveraray and the next at mallaig. Any suggestions for itinerary/accomodation in skye?

P.S. Newcastle is just a car pick-up point. Hometown is Thessaloniki, Greece
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM

Are you flying into Newcastle? If so, why not fly into Glasgow (or even Edinburgh)? Then you would be a short hop over to to the west.

Oh well - it sounds like your mind is set on driving across the entire country and back . . . .
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM

I won't comment further on your itinerary. You've been given excellent advice, and I can't add to it. As janisj says, you seem to have your mind set. But remember if you really want to experience Scottish history, you can't do it from the seat of a car.

The last ferry for Armadale departs Mallaig at 18:00. The first ferry in the morning leaves at 8:10.

Mallaig is not a place that I would recommend for a stop over. The only alternative to the ferry is to drive to Kyle of Lochalsh and over the bridge. Not really an option for you.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM

Ok. If your must sees are Skye, St Andrews, and the Trossachs, I would suggest the following:-

Drive straight to the Trossachs. It's 3 hours to Callender, so that's the first morning away. Spend the afternoon looking at what you want to look at.

Head on day 2 to Inverary, either by going all the way round Loch lomond and overte Rest and be Thankful; or up to Dalamlly and down Loch Awe.

Day 3 Inverary to Mallaig- again about 3 hours. Take the Boat to Skye,

Day 4 stay on Skye till about mid afternoon, then head east. It's 4 hours drive to Perth, which would be a good stopping point.

Day 5, it'll take a bit less than an hour to get to Falkland and another half hour to St Andrews.

I wouldn't do it, but it's your holiday.