Scotland Road Trip

Search

Scotland Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Road Trip

Taking a roadtrip through Scotland in a campervan. I will be flying to Inverness on Sept. 9th and spending the night at a b&b. Waking up the next morning having breakfast then picking up the campervan then stopping at store to pick up some groceries. From there, I am not exactly sure. It is my best friends birthday on the 10th and thought we would be nice to just hit a couple sights closeby. Was thinking of going to the Black Isles and spend the day and night. I know there are places to bottleneck dolphins. From there, I would like to go to Skye, The Hebrides and the west coast and then head back to Inverness area on the 17th. Would like to stop and see a castle or two. Also ruins, beautiful landscapes and wildlife. Do a bit of hiking. Mostly just drive at a reasonable pace without feeling rushed or carbound. Thanx for the suggestions...
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I would like to do the northen highlands also
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 08:23 AM

Jenni, sorry not to have seen this earlier. You actually have quite a good handle on it. Would you like a 6 day route drafted and are all of the above "must see"s as far as you're concerned?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Hey Sheila!

Well my itinerary has changed a bit. From Inverness to the Orkney's. Orkneys for a couple days then head down the west coast and stay 1 night midway then to Isle of Skye. Spend 2-3 nights and then head back towards Inverness. If you have a route that you think might work, that would be great. Do you have any suggestions near John O Groates? I think we will head there on the 10th. Any restaurant suggestions? I will be doing 3 chimney's when we are on the Isle of Skye. Read some wonderful reviews and it just looks AMAZING!!! Thanks for your help
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM

Avoid staying in John O' Groats, any other place nearby will be better. It's fine for taking the ferry across but nothing else to recommend it.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I have heard and read that John O Groates is a BIG disappointment. I am looking to find somewhere nearby so I can catch an early ferry. I would also like to find a good restaurant for my friends birthday
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM

Thurso is where I'd stay. For a restaurant I'd recommend The Forss House Hotel. I believe they take non-residents. It's a few miles west of Thurso and probably the best place within miles.

www.forsshousehotel.co.uk
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanx historytraveler! I will look into it. Appreciate the help...
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to Three Chimneys? If so, what is the appropriate attire? On a roadtrip and can' take too much...
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Three Chimneys is great - or was -- I haven't been there in a loooong time so can't give a recent review. But I can't imagine it would be anything but wonderful. A few other Fodorites have been there so maybe one will have more up-to-date info.

As for attire -- the Highlands/Islands ain't 'formal' But it is a VERY nice restaurant so you don't want to go sloppy/uber casual. I always travel w/ a pair of nice slacks -- wool/wool blend/some sort of synthetic combo/etc - and that w/ a twin set would be plenty dressy enough.

Or a blouse w/ a jacket or pretty Cardigan. Or a blouse and a pashmina/shawl.

I always travel w/ carry on only and always manage to have an outfit appropriate for restaurants like Three Chimneys or the Peat Inn or Cameron House or any of the posh country places.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 05:19 AM

I think that's a great itinerary. I'll flesh it out for you a bit.

John O' Groats is worth doing just so that you've done it. But probably not worth staying in. I envy you the Three Chimneys.

By all accounts, apart from the quality being wonderful, Three Chimneys is pretty laid back. Smart casual will be fine.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any must see place in the Orkney's? Will read more on it but have no real agenda so therefore any ideas would be great...
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM

We had lunch at the Three Chimneys in September of 2008 and it was absolutely wonderful from the first greeting to the good buys, food and wine, and view of the North Sea from the window. We were with a couple of friends and wore tailored type jeans and nice sweaters (looking at photos here..). Of course, that was lunch but somehow I doubt that dinner attire would require any more formality. As Sheila noted above, I envy you!
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:34 PM

I don't believe in must sees but a few suggestions for Orkney:

St. Magus Cathedral, Bishop's and Earl's Palace (Kirkwall)
Orkney Museum ( Kirkwall)
Highland Park Distillery,if interested in whisky. It's a very good single malt,IMO. ( Kirkwall)

The following can pretty much be done in a circular drive from Kirkwall and are really considered the high points.

Skara Brae and Skaill House
Maes Howe
Stones of Stenness
Ring of Brodgar
Yesnaby
Broch of Gurness

Tomb of the Eagles (South Ronaldsay)

Italinate Chapel (near St. Mary's) between South Ronaldsay and the Mainland.

There is much more, but this should give you a good start.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Sorry, typo. It's Italian Chapel
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Hey historytraveler!

Thanks for the help. Will we be able to do all this in a couple days and not be exhausted from driving? Not quite sure of distances. I am also interested in doing Mull Head Nature Reserve for a bit of hiking. Since you seem very familiar with the areas I am doing, any other suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. How about a place for lunch or dinner that has a good setting and/or tasty seafood...
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 03:42 AM

We were at the Three Chimneys last year and confirm that lunchtime is very laid back dress wise and evening is just laid back. No tuxedos required.

anna-roz, you've got fantastic eyesight!
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Want to pack properly and from everything I have read, I should pack for cold rainy weather. Has anybody been to this area in mid Sept? What are your thoughts?
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Short for time at the moment but will post more later.

I'm assuming you'll be coming from John O Groats and crossing the Pentland Firth since you mentioned it in an earlier post.
If so, you'll land on the south end of South Ronaldsay. The Tomb of the Eagles is v. close. The actual site is about a walk mile ( short,IMO) from the Vistor Centre. You can also do a walking tour which takes about an hour. Beautiful, wild scenery along the cliffs. At the tomb you have the option of crawling in or using the <I>trolley </I> which is great fun. After leaving the Tomb, head north to St. Mary's and the Italian Chapel. The building of the chapel is perhaps more compelling that the actual chapel itself. Worth a short stop.
From there you can go east to Deerness for the Mull Head Nature Reserve. Coming back to the Mainland and Kirkwall.

At Kirkwall you can do a circular drive (either direction) along the A road...the number changes, but it is the main road. Skara Brae ( and, nearby Skaill House)and Maes Howe are the premier sites, but the others I've mentioned are only short detours and well worth seeing. With a reasonably early start, you could probably do most or all the sites I've mentioned in a day.

At Kirkwall visit St. Magnus, Bishop's & Earl's Palace, the Orkney Museum if time permits and if you are looking for a distillery tour, there's the excellent Highland Park.

I suggest you either google the places I've mentioned or get a guidebook or both that will provide further detail such as opening times, etc. A good map is essential.

For September, bring rain jacket/gear and dress in layers. Weather could be wet, dry, cool, cold or even <I> fine </I>. It will not likely be warm but will likely be wet. Wind.

Must go but will post some restaurants suggestions later.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM

A couple of quick notes and a hiccup.

The ferry from John O'Groats is a passenger only ferry. They do offer bus tours of Orkney one you arrive at Burwick, but you'll have to check their website for further information. I did it once and it was fine but preferred traveling by car. www.jogferry.co.uk

There is another option near John O'Groats ( at Gills Bay) that goes to St. Margarets Hope which is at the north end of South Ronaldsay. Confused, yet? and that is Pentland Ferries. I've not used them. You'll have to check their website for sailings/timetables. www.pentlandferries.com

The most popular ferry transport to Orkney is probably Northlink Ferries. They run from Scrabster (just west of Thurso) to Stromness. It does offer car transport as does Pentland Ferry. www.northlinkferries.co.uk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -