Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Scotland :According to weather.com: rain nonstop?

Scotland :According to weather.com: rain nonstop?

Jun 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Scotland :According to weather.com: rain nonstop?

I know weather forecasts are only that... but when they say it's raining everyday for the next 10 days, is it nonstop rain or intermittent? We're looking forward to our two-week travels no matter what. And yes, according to weather.com, all the places I've put in say rain. So, instead of our rental car, should I be booking an ark?
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM

I've no idea what the site concerned is saying, and really can't be arsed trying to retrace what you think you've found.

But this is what the BBC is saying:

Monday 28 June 2010 to Sunday 4 July 2010

A hot start still with a southern bias
A hot start to the week will continue in England, Wales and often Scotland and Northern Ireland. Atlantic fronts are still likely to attempt entry into the northwest of the UK but will lose most of their rain before they reach land. Nevertheless sometimes cloudy and breezy weather will affect the northwest.

Monday 5 July 2010 to Sunday 18 July 2010

Even more of the same...
Except that this time the Atlantic fronts are held even further at bay: Scotland and Northern Ireland should enjoy more of the sunny and warmer weather. Some showers are still possible which may be thundery. Temperatures, of course, look likely to remain above normal.

Which means there's a slight chance of rain at some point in much of Scotland. Any forecast more than a week out about Britain is meaningless. Continuous round the clock rain for ten successive days is unheard of: ten successive days on which there's rain at some point is not unusual, disruptive or of any significance except it MIGHT mean some Scots won't have to water the lawn for a day or two.

The water authority immediately south of Scotland has applied for a Drought Control Order, BTW, giving it the right to ban the use of hosepipes and lawn sprinklers if the threatened drought materialises.
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM

They can't really predict that far ahead anyway. You just have to be prepared for anything.
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM

You'd be better looking at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

for a five day forecast.
There seem to be two days with light rain. At the worst there will only be a short shower or two.
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I tried looking up Glasgow (Scotland, U.K.) on weather.com, and got the message "Precipitation info is only available for the U.S."
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the weather sites. Have bookmarked them for 2011.

Andeesue, hope we get a trip report from you when you return.
Jun 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM

"Which means there's a slight chance of rain at some point in much of Scotland."

Isn't that pretty much a permanent condition? Why bother changing it from day to day?
Jun 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Try metcheck I find it better than the BBC. http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/...ipcode=glasgow

Tuck a folding brolly into your handbag and you have it covered.
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Umbrella of course, no matter where I go. Rain is to be expected at some point, no worries really. Thanks for setting me straight with the good info, dear fodorites! And yes, a trip report when I return.

Happy travels, all!

Search this Thread