Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it really raining nonstop in Scotland?

Jul 18th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

I keep checking weather.com for the 10-day forecast for Glasgow and Edinburgh and it has been rain, rain, rain! I will be ready for wet weather, but has it really been raining nonstop the past week? I know rain won't stop us from having great adventures, just know that what is reported and what actually happens can vary. Thanks for your input!
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:34 PM
dln

I cannot vouch for Scotland, but here in the Midwest, the sheer abundance of rain prompted one little girl to say "If God doesn't stop the rain, he's going to use it all up."

Reported today in the Indy Star.

Jul 18th, 2003, 05:00 PM

When I was in Glasgow & Edinburgh in June of 2001 it rained several days but it wasn't bad. It was just this misty drizzle that I wouldn't even bother to put up an umbrella for. Not like here in the Midwest when rain can mean 4 inches of rain (or more if you're in Kokomo) over a few hours.
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Go to this website for the UK Met Office to get all kinds of info re: UK temps, rainfall, etc, for the entire month of June (sorry, they won't post results for July until the end of the month).

Still, it's interesting to see an entire month's results!

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/2003/june/maps.html
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I hope to hear from some Scots in the morning.

Happy Travels, all!
Jul 19th, 2003, 12:21 AM

It drizzled a bit here yesterday and that's the first rain we've had in a fortnight. (Aberdeen) I noticed the yahoo forecast for today was rain (I'm planning a meal for 6 Fodorites today and was thinking barbecue). It's bloody roasting and we're eating in
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Andeesue,
I live around 10 miles north of Edinburgh geographically and I can tell you we have had probably the driest summer so far in about the last 6 years. It's also been pretty warm lately with temperatures in the mid twenties during the past week. Having said that, the weather here is normally very changeable so don't expect too much and you never know you may end up lucky. Whatever the weather I hope you enjoy your vacation and that you do have great adventures on your visit here.
Happy trails!
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:04 AM

My mother, brother and sister live in
Edinburgh and are all enjoying the driest, warmest summer for a long time. Of course, there's no guarantee it will last!
Jul 19th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate all the info. Boy, I don't have too much confidence in weather. com! According to them, Edinburgh and Glsgow may need an ark! Whatever the weather, I know I'm going to have a great time in Scotland.
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:55 PM
jor

I was there for 11 days and no rain.
Jul 19th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Yahoo's no better. I checked it the night defore last because we were hosting Fodorite guests and i wanted to barbie. It said rain, so we ate in-after spending 3 hours in the garden catching the rays. The BBC last night said "rain" It's 8.30am and the sun is splitting the slabs
Jul 20th, 2003, 02:27 AM

The best, most accurate weather forecasts are of the TV variety. I have very little confidence in weather websites (I, too, have found that they can't even get their 'current conditions' right, so what chance do they have of forecasting tomorrow's weather?!)

As for Scotland, "on average it rains twice a week in Scotland: The first time for 4 days, the second for 3".
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

We had rain just one day in Scotland on this trip in '03! Shows that weather.com isn't all that accurate. I always brought along my umbrella as insurance! This summer (05) we visited Ireland. Same thing...only had some rain for a few hours when we were in a coach from Shannon to Cork. Amazing.
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:05 AM

"If ye can see Arran - it's gonna rain. If ye canna see Arran - it's rainin'."