Schengen VISA rejection

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schengen VISA rejection

I and my wife had booked a package through a travel agency .

It was for a europe tour and they( the travel agent ) had to apply to
the embassy, a multiple entry schengen visa with starting point as
france,

The departure date was 28th and our VISA got rejected on 26th.

They send me the travel vouchers on 25th in which it shows that the flight bookings were confirmed on 21st

They also send me the briefing sheet ( please note , not the hotel
voucher ) on the 25th in which only the name of the hotels and dates are
there. There is nothing mentioned about the confirmation of hotels
booked.

Is there any chance that the VISA got rejected due to the negligence of the travel agency .

I need some experts opinion on this

The rejection reason on the letter issues by france embassy to me is

"you have not provided proof of sufficient means of subsistence, for the
duration of the intended stay or for the return to the country of
origin or residence of for the transit to a third country to which you
are certainly to be admitted, or you are not in a position to obtain
such means lawfully"

Now how do i know for which reason they have rejected?

1) were there not sufficent funds in my balance?

2) Did I not provide any proof of attachment to my country of origin like property , assets etc?

Is travel agent responsible for the mess as they were supposed to guide
me on this, becauseI had booked the complete package through them, i.e
VISA, travel, stay , sightseing everything.

I have send a appeal for the refusal , but I guess they will take ages to reply.

I would be very grateful if someone with knowledge about all this would advice me.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 04:14 AM

The departure date was 28th and our VISA got rejected on 26th.

A public forum is not really the place for visa information. Particularly when you do not mention your nationality or the duration of your stay. Most here would probably not need a special visa for a European vacation.

None the less, visa's should be in place before any travel plans are confirmed. Based upon your narrative, your travel agent let you down.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 05:31 AM

I think you require confirmed travel arrangements before applying for schengen visas so it's not possible to get the visa first. At least for the people I know who require schengen this is true. South Africans and Filipinos this is the case...

It sounds like you didn't have sufficient funds in your account and you didn't have evidence of confirmed transit out if schengen.

But that's just a guess...
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 05:49 AM

France has always been a difficult country to get visas for. It could be that your travel agent let you down because they did not guide you through the process ie you need to provide xyz to support your application. Proof of sufficient funds is a common requirement. But I don't know what role your travel agent was supposed to play, for instance, they might have only been asked to submit the application which you completed therefore the responsibility of the info on the application would be down to you. There isn't enough info here to be able to judge who is at fault.

Is the travel date the 28th of this month?

A visa rejection doesn't mean you cannot reapply supplying the information that caused the rejection in the first instance. So if you provide evidence of sufficient funds and of the confirmed travel itinerary, could you resubmit? Can you go to the consulate yourself?
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 09:28 AM

My experience with clients from the Philippines was that they needed to have confirmed reservations, in writing, with a hotel in order to get their travel visa from the Philippines for travel to the EU. Other countries will have different requirements depending on the circumstances.

It would appear that your travel agent failed in submitting a confirmed reservations as required for the visa, but the final responsibility would be up to the traveler to check to be assured that everything is settled before booking the flight.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:43 AM

Seemslike your travel agent couldn't provide proof of specific lodging reservations, which would almost always be a reason to reject you - but that's just a guess. Do you have a contract with the travel agent? If so, does the fine print address this issue?

Have you called/emailed the french consulate? I have had surprisingly good results communicating with them lately.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 11:36 AM

It seems that everything was left very late. The one time I had to get a visa (Russia) I had my hotel paid for and all of the paperwork at the embassy 4 months in advance. And if you don't have definitive ongoing and PAID travel plans and hotel (not reservations but paid rooms) they might feel you don't have sufficient funds.

Have no idea what that means - in terms of amount - but if things are not paid for in advance I would assume that you would need to demonstrate enough money to support yourself at a reasonable local rate. Your travel agent should be able to say to you that you need to show 5K euros or 10K euros or whatever in the bank to qualify for a visa for 1 or 2 people.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:08 PM

You cannot apply for a Russian visa 4 months before your travel date, not today or anytime in the past 20-30 years. It's ridiculous to suggest advance payment of a hotel in Russia or anywhere in order to get a visa which might be refused.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Sorry - when I went to Russia you had to have an "invitation" from the hotel you would be staying at and they did not issue such an invitation until you had paid for the room in advance (mine was via AmEx).

I needed to supply that written invitation, which had some sort of code number on it, along with the application and my passport to the embassy to get my visa.

I seem to recall that it was that long in advance since this was added onto a business trip to Sweden and I know when we were doing the arrangements for that (a hemophilia meeting with more than 100 MDs) was the same time I was doing my russian travel info. It might have been 3.5 months - but it was certainly not much less than that - since they told us the embassy might not return the passport with visa in less than 5 or 6 weeks and I was not taking any chances of missing the Swedish portion of the trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Perhaps one would not want to pay in advance if there was ay doubt about getting the visa - but there was none in my - case - I had been before with not problems (but as part of a group), was attaching this to a business trip to Sweden, had business class airfare paid all ways (NY to Malmo to Stockholm to St pet, then St Pet back to Stockholm and back to NY)and several credit cards with high limits as well as a substantial bank account (which they never asked to see- just the paid hotel reservations with the secret code - actually the initials of the hotel and some version of the date and a couple of letters).